Whats the diff, between a WE4 and a T-type?

I dont think this actually ever happened...

It didn't. The WO2 exterior sport package option did not include the black bumpers. It was for the headlight and tail lamp bezels, the belt molding, the antenna, and the window trim, etc. If you have ever seen a Regal with these blacked out but it still has a chrome bumpers, that is a WO2 car. I don't know the authority on that write up but the only bulletin referencing discontinuing the WO2 I have ever seen was about stopping the WO2 package availability on 87 black cars that were not a WE4. That way if you got an black 87 it had to have chrome trim unless it was a WE2 (GN) or WE4 (a Turbo T). The black bumpers and the WO2 option were an integral part or the WE2 and WE4 packages. I do believe that at one time the black bumpers may have been available by themselves because I have seen two supposedly original, non-black cars (neither one an 87) that had black bumpers although I have never seen an option code for the bumpers themselves. Oh, and technically, the WE4 is the only package offered by GM that is called a Turbo T. (I know, everybody will disagree but it has been discussed on here several times before.) The T-Type package was not an option on the 87, the rest of the non-GN 87's were just Regals (or a Limited) with a LC2 turbo engine option. The "T" on the side of the car was a call out for the "T" package which was the Y56 touring suspension package (a required option when the LC2 was ordered). It did not stand for "Turbo". Although it was required with the LC2, the Y56 was available on any Regal which is why you have some 87 V-8 cars with the "T" emblems. The WE4 was the only package called a "Turbo T" in any GM literature.

Last edited:
It didn't. The WO2 exterior sport package option did not include the black bumpers. It was for the headlight and tail lamp bezels, the belt molding, the antenna, and the window trim, etc. If you have ever seen a Regal with these blacked out but it still has a chrome bumpers, that is a WO2 car. I don't know the authority on that write up but the only bulletin referencing discontinuing the WO2 I have ever seen was about stopping the WO2 package availability on 87 black cars that were not a WE4. That way if you got an black 87 it had to have chrome trim unless it was a WE2 (GN) or WE4 (a Turbo T). The black bumpers and the WO2 option were an integral part or the WE2 and WE4 packages. I do believe that at one time the black bumpers may have been available by themselves because I have seen two supposedly original, non-black cars (neither one an 87) that had black bumpers although I have never seen an option code for the bumpers themselves. Oh, and technically, the WE4 is the only package offered by GM that is called a Turbo T. (I know, everybody will disagree but it has been discussed on here several times before.) The T-Type package was not an option on the 87, the rest of the non-GN 87's were just Regals (or a Limited) with a LC2 turbo engine option. The "T" on the side of the car was a call out for the "T" package which was the Y56 touring suspension package (a required option when the LC2 was ordered). It did not stand for "Turbo". Although it was required with the LC2, the Y56 was available on any Regal which is why you have some 87 V-8 cars with the "T" emblems. The WE4 was the only package called a "Turbo T" in any GM literature.
yes this is what I thought all along....thx for the response...so it seems the 87 black turbo t with chrome trim and bumpers is the rare bird of the bunch ..only available for 2 months ...then all black cars were we4 or we2 Gn's......right...but I guess you could order whatever you wanted in theory...LOL

I really like those 87 t's that were black with chrome stuff and maroon interior..I think rick the pool guy brother has one ...only seen a few of them babies ...

yes this is what I thought all along....thx for the response...so it seems the 87 black turbo t with chrome trim and bumpers is the rare bird of the bunch ..only available for 2 months ...then all black cars were we4 or we2 Gn's......right...but I guess you could order whatever you wanted in theory...LOL

I really like those 87 t's that were black with chrome stuff and maroon interior..I think rick the pool guy brother has one ...only seen a few of them babies ...
I had a friend back in the day that had a black V8 "T" with maroon interior. It was a sharp car and that Olds 307 in it gave the 305 Montes a fit.

There were only 1,547 of these cars made compared to the 20,194 Grand Nationals that were made in 1987. It is not the rarest turbo regal but it is still very rare.

The WE4 was simply a Grand National, with some changes. The spoiler was not an option that was included with the package, it could only be ordered as a dealer installed option. The wheels were changed from the steel GN wheels to the aluminum 'T' wheels. The interior was now all gray. It is said that the bumper braces were aluminum instead of the GN's steel braces. Lastly, the WE4 came with 'T' badging.

The "T" on the side of the car was a call out for the "T" package which was the Y56 touring suspension package (a required option when the LC2 was ordered). It did not stand for "Turbo".

I agree the T-type term refers to the touring suspension package not a turbo car.

I had an’89 Lesabre T-type that did not have a turbo and we know the Riviera T-type was non turbo as well.

The backwards j*ffy l*be symbol we all know and love is not a turbo 6 emblem either.
GM was promoting the V-6 program with their “POWER 6” emblem, although, I’m not sure there were many N/A V-6 cars that got that emblem.

There were only 1,547 of these cars made compared to the 20,194 Grand Nationals that were made in 1987. It is not the rarest turbo regal but it is still very rare.

The WE4 was simply a Grand National, with some changes. The spoiler was not an option that was included with the package, it could only be ordered as a dealer installed option. The wheels were changed from the steel GN wheels to the aluminum 'T' wheels. The interior was now all gray. It is said that the bumper braces were aluminum instead of the GN's steel braces. Lastly, the WE4 came with 'T' badging.

The ‘86 GN’s had aluminum bumper braces.

The black bumpered type ts were only available for 2 months after that it was chrome bumpers. The wo2 package on the type t gave buyers a GN basically for less $$. We all know that the bottom line is king and they knew people would pay more for the GN so why have the wo2 blackout option. It was a mistake and they caught it 2 months late or you would see more than 1537 we4/wo2 type ts on the road compared to the 20,000 plus GNs in 1987. I wanted a GN for 35 years and came across a we4/wo2 for a steal since the guy thought he bought a GN and was passed when I told him it wasn't ( Simple Google search would have informed him originally but whatever ) the price came down quickly. I walked away with the car ( 63,000 mile ) in my profile pic for 14k with the stock wheels, 2 additional sets of wheels with all new tires and a laundry list of professional upgrades. I felt like that was a pretty good deal.

i am glad you found a nice rare car for a good deal...nice little story sounds like a great score ...but i dont believe any e4's came with chrome bumpers ..i have never seen one or heard of one...maybe someone on here has but who knows ...i thnk that it would have been tough to produce 1547 e4's with balck bumpers in just 2 months.. thats like 29 cars a day.. along with all the gn's and other g body's under way ..maybe that narrative never actually happened or is untrue IDK...i believe it was the other way around and only made black turbo t's with chrome for 2 months as there are very few of them..and then went on to produce the we4's with black bumpers for the rest of the year ...anyways ...hopefully someone on here can prove that there are some e4's with the wo2 package and chrome bumpers ..interesting for sure ...

Last edited:
I have a 1987 black Turbo T with the chrome package. Long ago I had a 1987 gray Turbo T with the WO2 package. I prefer the WO2 and of course the 1547 WE4's are beautiful cars. I was wondering if anyone has seen or done a WO2 conversion. It looks like G Body parts has all the bits and pieces to make that happen, just have to sneak it by the wife.

I found a photo of a pre-WE4 car which is posted. The difference would be the hood ornament, white stripe in the rubber bumper strip and the chrome bumpers.

View attachment

I have a 1987 black Turbo T with the chrome package. Long ago I had a 1987 gray Turbo T with the WO2 package. I prefer the WO2 and of course the 1547 WE4's are beautiful cars. I was wondering if anyone has seen or done a WO2 conversion. It looks like G Body parts has all the bits and pieces to make that happen, just have to sneak it by the wife.

I found a photo of a pre-WE4 car which is posted. The difference would be the hood ornament, white stripe in the rubber bumper strip and the chrome bumpers.

View attachment 358931
nice looks just like mine ....yes 87 t Wo2 package PRE-WE4...only chrome on it ..is the bumpers and side marker lights ....and the hood ornament ;)