Whats the diff, between a WE4 and a T-type?

Lt. Doomsday

Honda Hater #1
HELP! I think i have spotted a WE4, but im not sure.. its a hardtop T-type or something. but deffentaly a TURBO REGAL can anyone tell me what to look for? or how i can find out weather or not its a Plain t-topless t-type,.. or an actual WE4

A WE4 looks very much like a Grand National on the outside. It has the same all black appearance without the wing, GN wheels, and GN badging. Instead, the WE4 has the Turbo T wheels and red "T" badging.

On the inside, it is just like a regular T with a console automatic. They also have grey cloth bucket interiors (not the black and grey like GN's). Correct me if I am wrong someone, but I do not believe there were any WE4 with any color interior other than grey, at least to my knowledge.

Lastly, look at the RPO code sticker inside the trunk. If you see the option code WE4, it is truly a WE4 Turbo T!! My mom had one...what a car!!

Have never seen any with other than gray interior and of course there all 87 models.

Yes WE4s have the full black out package just like the GN but no badges. They just have the red T on the sides. The interiors only came in grey buckets. Also the WE4s are lighter then the GNs and actually WE4 option stands for All Black Exterior. Hood ornament deleted. All Grey interior.

Also check out www.buickwe4.com

they were lighter than the average GN too....mine came factory with cast aluminum back brake rotors. Light as a feather!

According to the "buick facts and figures" book, next to the GNX, the WE4 Turbo-T was the quickest stock turbo'ed regal of production. (I guess the weight savings???)

You mean back brake DRUMS :)

Originally posted by BMC buick
they were lighter than the average GN too....mine came factory with cast aluminum back brake rotors. Light as a feather!

According to the "buick facts and figures" book, next to the GNX, the WE4 Turbo-T was the quickest stock turbo'ed regal of production. (I guess the weight savings???)

Originally posted by TurboTTypeWE4
Yes WE4s have the full black out package just like the GN but no badges. They just have the red T on the sides. The interiors only came in grey buckets. Also the WE4s are lighter then the GNs and actually WE4 option stands for All Black Exterior. Hood ornament deleted. All Grey interior.

Also check out www.buickwe4.com

And as always, there are a few oddballs. I have seen at least one WE4 that came factory with the hood ornament.

I stand corrected and apologize for the mis-information. I understood the WE4 as simply a black version of a Turbo T (crhome bumpers). :eek:

Thanks for the heads-up!

They say WE4 on the trunk label too. :)

WO2 as well.

3.8SFI label on the trunk as well as a BUICK label on the right side.

My WE4 is heavier than my GN, both heavily optioned but the WE4 has a stereo with subs. and a lot of noise proofing dynamat in it. Plus a lot of aftermarket parts. :cool:

3955lbs. 3800 without me. :eek:

Originally posted by efi-street
And as always, there are a few oddballs. I have seen at least one WE4 that came factory with the hood ornament.

Mine did.

EDIT: the pic you have IS my car :) at Alan Kulwicki park (on the sidewalk). I have heard of one other one with an ornament. My car was built early January in 87 so it was a very early WE4. The earliest VIN'd WE4 I've ever seen.

Jon
buickwe4.com

So just how many things were done to make them lighter? I realize the aluminum wheels, but were there options that could NOT be had with them, like T-tops, power seat, etc? And did they all come with aluminum rear drums? It seems most of the posi-equipped cars in '87 had iron drums, did that apply to the WE4? I assume they all had aluminum bumper braces too is that correct?
Just trying to improve my knowledge of these cars.

bob

So just how many things were done to make them lighter? I realize the aluminum wheels, but were there options that could NOT be had with them, like T-tops, power seat, etc? And did they all come with aluminum rear drums? It seems most of the posi-equipped cars in '87 had iron drums, did that apply to the WE4? I assume they all had aluminum bumper braces too is that correct?
Just trying to improve my knowledge of these cars.

bob
They had aluminum rear drums, bumper braces and the aluminum wheels accounted for the weight rolling in about 300 pounds lighter than a GN. Mine has t-tops but manual seats.
And there are WE4s with chrome bumpers etc. The WO2 is the blackout trim package, thats where the grand national Darth Vader look comes from ( Zero chrome )

They had aluminum rear drums, bumper braces and the aluminum wheels accounted for the weight rolling in about 300 pounds lighter than a GN. Mine has t-tops but manual seats.
And there are WE4s with chrome bumpers etc. The WO2 is the blackout trim package, thats where the grand national Darth Vader look comes from ( Zero chrome )
there are no WE4's with chrome bumpers

Yes there were....
Screenshot_20200502-221656_Chrome.jpg

interesting for sure....I bet there are less e4's with chrome bumpers than black...IDK ..I never seen one with chrome bumpers and black trim ...