What's max e.t. for 8 point cage?

jjvites

I was wondering what is the max e.t. allowed with an 8 point cage and at what level does one have to install the bars through the firewall to the frame, making a 10 point cage. Mine is considered an 8 point with a hoop on top, 2 rear 2 center and 4 in front of the dash at floor. Thanks.

Marty

i believe NHRA will certify that to 8.50s,But unless they certify it tracks will recognize it for 10.00

KLHAMMETT said:
i believe NHRA will certify that to 8.50s,But unless they certify it tracks will recognize it for 10.00
Thanks, do you know about the forward 2 points in the engine bay?

Marty

no,ive never went that far,At this time i have no intentions of running even 8.50s.

KLHAMMETT said:
no,ive never went that far,At this time i have no intentions of running even 8.50s.
KLHAMMETT,
Please don't take my question the wrong way as I will probably never do that either, I just want the potential to be able to dip into the 9's. The reason I am asking these questions is because this shop that moved in across from me, the owner came over to look at my roller and stated that my roll cage would be only legal to 11.0's. He said NHRA required the forward bars to run 10.99 and quicker. I think he is just looking for new business since they do roll cages for "off road" desert runners. Thanks for the info, I just wanted to know for myself what each additional point would allow one to run. I'll just get my 8 point certified as you stated and that will be that. Thanks again.

Marty

I didnt take it wrong,Want sure what you were building :)
As far as the 8.50 goes, Mine has no forward bars thru the firewall and was certified last year.in addition to the roll bar i needed the main hoop above that met with the door bars that came from the main hoop behind the seat. To pass all bar must be welded to the frame not the floor,And if the pipes are not weled all hte way around gussets must be used to re-enforce.Bars must be a certain thickness also,but im not sure the size
Hope this helps

Thanks for the info. Bought a 89 GTA (minus the engine) that was set up with a small block chevy running in the nines. Hope to build a Stage 2 motor. All that stands in my way is money, time and the wife. One step at a time. Out here in L.A. I have some friends with Pontiacs who run 9 events a year, 3 classes. With the TA I can run in the Pontiac series and use a Buick motor. There is nothing much going on around here in L.A. for GN's. I did go to watch the West Coast Nationals in Las Vegas, it was good.

Later
Marty

Thanks,
Marty

jjvites said:
Thanks for the info. Bought a 89 GTA (minus the engine) that was set up with a small block chevy running in the nines. Hope to build a Stage 2 motor. All that stands in my way is money, time and the wife. One step at a time. Out here in L.A. I have some friends with Pontiacs who run 9 events a year, 3 classes. With the TA I can run in the Pontiac series and use a Buick motor. There is nothing much going on around here in L.A. for GN's. I did go to watch the West Coast Nationals in Las Vegas, it was good.

Later
Marty

Thanks,
Marty

Marty,

May I hear more about the car please?

John,
I am honored that you ask. It is an 89 white GTA exactly like a TTA. It has a Ford 9 inch rear end with 4:30 gears, but I have another ring and pinion wich is a 3:70 I believe. It is connected to a Spohn bar and HR Parts type sway bar. MT ET Street 28x12.5x15W tires on 10 inch Convos. Sub frame conectors welded in. A Mike's Transmission T400 with trans brake and Ultrabell(?) housing. Aluminum driveshaft. It came with a Continental 8 inch converter that was rated at 5500 rpm stahl for the previous SB2 motor. The front sub frame has been replaced with a PA brand and is connected to QA1 struts with Wildwood brakes. 8 point roll cage.
It needs finish work as the previous owner spent the money but did not finish the car properly. I just rewired it back to front. Need to change the rear gear and restahl the converter if it's possible or prudent to use an 8 inch behind a Stage motor.
Maybe you could give me some advice on the gear, tire, and converter combos used with these motors.
Jeez this is long, sorry i'm kind of excited as I have been out of racing for a long time. One step at a time.

Marty

jjvites said:
John,
I am honored that you ask. It is an 89 white GTA exactly like a TTA. It has a Ford 9 inch rear end with 4:30 gears, but I have another ring and pinion wich is a 3:70 I believe. It is connected to a Spohn bar and HR Parts type sway bar. MT ET Street 28x12.5x15W tires on 10 inch Convos. Sub frame conectors welded in. A Mike's Transmission T400 with trans brake and Ultrabell(?) housing. Aluminum driveshaft. It came with a Continental 8 inch converter that was rated at 5500 rpm stahl for the previous SB2 motor. The front sub frame has been replaced with a PA brand and is connected to QA1 struts with Wildwood brakes. 8 point roll cage.
It needs finish work as the previous owner spent the money but did not finish the car properly. I just rewired it back to front. Need to change the rear gear and restahl the converter if it's possible or prudent to use an 8 inch behind a Stage motor.
Maybe you could give me some advice on the gear, tire, and converter combos used with these motors.
Jeez this is long, sorry i'm kind of excited as I have been out of racing for a long time. One step at a time.

Marty

Marty,

The car sounds like it is going to be amazing.
I have thought of doing one of these several times.
I would have put a single thumper sbc in mine.
Bill Anderson is builing a Stage TTA for some Drag Radial action.
You may want to talk to him and compare notes.
-The 3.70 will work great for a stage motor.
-The tranny is great.
-The convert will help you spool and depending on the power you make you could blow through it. If you decide to run it make sure that you get a good cooler. We ran mine on Chris's car and it got very hot!!!! :eek:

If you ever want to talk in great detail, shoot me and email or call me.

Best regards

PS I demand pictures!!!!

John,
I have noticed that you are a very positive influence on this board and a good guy all around. I thank you for your support and look forward to chatting with you. When I get further along on the project and can be proud, I will gladly post pictures.

Thanks,

Marty

jjvites said:
John,
I have noticed that you are a very positive influence on this board and a good guy all around. I thank you for your support and look forward to chatting with you. When I get further along on the project and can be proud, I will gladly post pictures.

Thanks,

Marty

Thanks for the complement, I may print this out and show it to my boss! ;)
Since you are in LA, you owe it to yourself to drive up and check out Duttweiler's Shop. Let me know if I can be of any assistance in helping your combination. I will IM you my number.