Whats involved in removing the oil cooler?

tysongross

Mississippi Mayhem
Is this a hard job? I'm replacing the radiator and I live in the south so I dont think I need it.

Easy job. Remove oil filter, disconnect cooler lines from radiator, remove the nut holding the oil cooler adapter, screw on your filter, done. Being in the south the oil cooler might actually be needed more.

If you are currently using an RJC biggie filter adapter you will also need a new adapter to run with no cooler.

If you are currently using an RJC biggie filter adapter you will also need a new adapter to run with no cooler.

If you remove the cooler adapter and the RJC fitting [or a stock fitting], a stock GN filter will screw onto the housing, nothing else needed. :)

If you remove the stock cooler an don't replace it at all with any aftermarket type, you'll only have 20 minutes drive time till your Oil Pressure/Vescoisty goes to crap,If your drag racing 1/4 mile only, it's fine an recomended,but on a street car ,You'll Need One!

Enjoy!

If you remove the stock cooler an don't replace it at all with any aftermarket type, you'll only have 20 minutes drive time till your Oil Pressure/Vescoisty goes to crap,If your drag racing 1/4 mile only, it's fine an recomended,but on a street car ,You'll Need One!

Enjoy!

My oil pressure without it is great.80-85 cold at idle,hot idle is 18-20 and as soon as i touch the gas its up to 40-55.That is with 10w 40 oil.

I ran my car last week in 90+ degree heat with a/c on at 70 mph for 50 miles to work and oil psi was fine at the end of the trip at idle and at cruise and while accelerating. GM got away without oil coolers on vettes by using synthetic oil and since I run synthetic, I figure it's fine and one less thing to blow oil all over and ruin my motor. Plus the added temp helps burn off contaminents with a 160 thermostat, but I've noticed the oil temp does it's own thing depending on driving conditions more than actual water temp.

Enjoy!

86/87 are the only 3.8's to have an oil cooler.

I haven't run an oil cooler in 5 years. No problems here.????

Enjoy!

you must need to run better oil.. my 84 doesn't have an oil cooler, and the only time i've ever cooked oil was when i first got it running and put the cheapest Valvoline in it i could find.

you must need to run better oil.. my 84 doesn't have an oil cooler, and the only time i've ever cooked oil was when i first got it running and put the cheapest Valvoline in it i could find.

I run 15/50 Mobile one racing..but also have largest front mount IC made an roller cam (bone stock radiator with duel fans),If you have both front mount an roller, add the Turbo heat... You'll need an Oil Cooler on the street in southern states,You can get away with out it with modern oils but it won't stop the heat,I run RJC's unit with biggie filter adaptor..Placed it in the old factory intercooler location,my oil pressure never fluxuates under any driving conditions..Only benefit of not having a oil cooler is the extra PSI..its just a question of :Do you want PSI or Volume...8^)

Enjoy!

If you hurt an engine bearing in your car DO NOT USE THE FACTORY OIL COOLER EVER AGAIN!!!! Throw the dang thing in the trash. There is no way to completely clean the debris out of the factory cooler. I've never hurt an engine with out the use of a cooler but I have killed a set of bearings trying to reuse the oil cooler after making little sparkly things I'm my oil. Never used one in the last 16 years or so. If you feel better using one go for it.:)

Does anyone know what size of the nut is that holds the oil cooler on?
I don't seem to have a socket big enough, so I am going to have to go buy a socket to fit it, though i'm not sure of the size.