What's For Dinner?

There are a few local Ranches that raise, process & sell grass fed Beef. I've been experimenting with a variety of their offerings. Prepared Beef Heart last week. Never had that before.
I knew I knew you from somewhere.

Grilled Beef Heart with Gremolata, Parmesan Broccoli & Polenta.

A.jpg

Looks good.

I thought gremolata was chopped parsley, lemon zest and garlic. No zest, or is it hiding?

Me, I made a killer pot roast and fire roasted corn on the cob tonight...........

Looks good.

I thought gremolata was chopped parsley, lemon zest and garlic. No zest, or is it hiding?

Me, I made a killer pot roast and fire roasted corn on the cob tonight...........

Hiding. Think I chopped it up too much.

Pot Roast? Crock Pot? Still too hot for the oven.

I have a modern Lodge Dutch Oven (no legs) that I use in the oven. Haven't thought to try it on the stove.

I have a modern Lodge Dutch Oven (no legs) that I use in the oven. Haven't thought to try it on the stove.

Now you're talkin with that last dish! Dutch ovens are an almost do everything piece, even cook bread on the stove or campfire. The new ones are nothing like the old time type that were cast using a different finer sand and than got some finishing to help them season easier. The Lodge are good U.S.A. made pieces but if you want to make them better before using get a drill sanding disc and smooth the bottom and sides out like the old days. have been using their skillet for years and people can't believe how eggs slide around like the best non stick.
Always keep an eye peeled at the thrift stores for a nice old turn of the century (20th) one.

I have several older cast iron skillets & Dutch Ovens. They do have a much finer finish & less bulk. They are on my "watch" list. Many that I find have been over-heated & warped unfortunately.

That's a nice skillet! There are 2 or 3 other cast iron cookware manufacturers in the USA that have products in that class & price range.

Modern Lodge Dutch Oven dinner.

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg12.jpg

I like this one. Lazy Man's cooking. Chop everything up & place in DO. Place cover on top & put into cold oven. Turn the heat up to 375 to 400 degrees & set timer for 2 hours. Come back when timer goes off & its done. Nice in the winter & plenty of left-overs. Makes the house smell good too.

Last edited:
Work, Cook, Wrench on Buick (or pay someone to do what's hard) and then drive the snot out of said Buick (coming soon to a Kill Section near you) .......... it's all I have left at 60.........

My mother made me become a good cook, because she could/would/did burn water.

Work, Cook, Wrench on Buick (or pay someone to do what's hard) and then drive the snot out of said Buick (coming soon to a Kill Section near you) .......... it's all I have left at 60.........

Don't care what society says but every man and woman should have basic cooking skills. Doesn't matter how gorgeous a woman is if her only recipe is horse shit and vinegar, horse piss and pepper don't walk but get in the buick and hit maximum boost!

Aperitif/Appetizer - 32oz bottle of A1 beer (Brewed in Phoenix, AZ) for her. Then one with dinner, then one after dinner
Meat - DONE
Vegetables - canned or fresh, really DONE
Salad - picture Peg Bundy and a cigarette butt in said salad
Bread - Wholesome bagged bread, straight from the bag - cheap margarine
Dad - head down, no complaints, ate like a horse.........

She could make some KILLER tacos though, never figured out where that came from..............I still use her secret recipe. Friends love 'em. Prolly the fresh fried shells...........

There was a good thread about cooking/grilling on the board before the last crash/update.

I've found that women are real appreciative when you cook for them. Works almost as well as alcohol & you usually end up with a better class of woman.

it is sad, but I look forward to going to the grocery store and cooking more and more :oops:
my new favorite crock pot recipe is Mississippi mud
3 to 4 pound chuck roast/pot roast cover with an au jus seasoning packet and a packet of hidden valley ranch ( I like the spicy one) put a whole stick of butter on top ad a jar of peperochinis ( whole/drained) and little carton off mushrooms if you like mushrooms , thought it was crazy not adding any juice but it comes out unbelievable , serve with white rice or mashed taters ,
cook on low 6-8 hrs the juice it makes is delicious gravy