What year S.C. 3800 is best for moding?

1BADT

TurboHolic
I am considering buying a newer SuperCharged Buick... Park Ave or Riviera. What years are the best if I plan on beefing it up a little? I thought I heard that the older ones dont have much of an aftermarket of performance parts and I want to make sure I get the write one... Thanks

Originally posted by 1BADT
I am considering buying a newer SuperCharged Buick... Park Ave or Riviera. What years are the best if I plan on beefing it up a little? I thought I heard that the older ones dont have much of an aftermarket of performance parts and I want to make sure I get the write one... Thanks

I would definately stay with nothing but a Series II. they have the larger Eaton series blower and a much beffier engine and internals.

If you are going to go with a Series II, stick to a '97+ Regal GS or Grand Prix GTP. There are a few more "go-fast" goodies for the GTP than the Regal available like exhaust and computer mods, but you have to love the sleeper effect that comes with that 4-door family car ;)

Try checking out http://Club Grand Prix and GrandPrix Net.

where can i get HP buick parts for my 97 GS?
thanks
Kevin

Originally posted by Kevin turch
where can i get HP buick parts for my 97 GS?
thanks
Kevin

I should have been more specific. Actually there ws a change mid year in '97 (January if I recall correctly) making a '97.5 GS. I am not sure what those changes were and not real up to what could be done to the prior model. The '97.5+ GS can use alot of the same aftermarket parts as the '97 and later GTP. A couple of places to start for those parts are ClubGP Store, Grand Prix Store and a few others.

Another thing I looked at and it read wrong in my previous poost was about the exhaust. You can do some things to the GS like headers, but the GS exhaust goes out as a single as opposed to it splitting to two on the GTP. From what I hear there are some cat-back replacement systems available for the GS. Of course you can always go to the local shop and have them do a custom setup for you.

I was going to say to go with the 98+ GS since there isn't an aftermarket PCM upgrade offered for the 97.5. But...you said you are interested in the Park Ave. or Riviera. If you get 97 (certainly 98) and newer, you can use all of the same engine mods as the same year GS and GTPs. The aftermarket is really opening up.

Scott
97.5 GS
13.253 @ 99.36

The 97.5 wasn't a mid year change, the 97 was just late coming out so it was called the 97.5, there were no early 97 Regals. Other good parts sources besides the ones listed above are

http://www.motorsports.westserver.net

and

http://www.thrasher-ep.com

The Riv's started the Series II in 96, but I don't know about the Park Avenue, I would imagine 96 or 97 too. I don't think the Rivs got the 4T65 tranny till 98 though, so finding out what tranny the car has might be a consideration also. You definitely want the Series II engine if you're interested in upgrades down the road.