What would you replace your GN with?

WakkoSS

If you decided to sell your TR, what would you buy as a replacement?

I ask this because I'm at the point where I think all of us have been at one time or another. If I keep the car, I'm changing my license plate to "CURSED". Two accidents and a popped headgasket (ok, that was my fault) have me nervous anytime I take out my car. I rarely drive it and when I do I drive it super slow and park it in the boondocks. I simply don't enjoy driving it anymore. I miss driving the Charger when it's been a few days and I remember a time when I was like that with the GN but it's no longer. My lack of involvement on this site as well is an indicator.

If I do decide to sell, the inevitable question is what to buy as a replacement. For me it would need to be something that holds it's value and is fun to drive. I'd absolutely love to have a '77 Trans Am and have been researching those, but the fuel economy sucks. I don't want a rice burner and as oddball (and cool) as a Delorean would be, I don't want to deal with trying to find parts for it. I've thought about another Monte Carlo SS as well with a warmed over small block. Keep in mind my daily driver is a work car that's free on fuel, so fuel economy isn't a HUGE issue at this point. Hell, I drive the Charger all over the place and it gets 8mpg of premium.

What would YOU get?

Only another '87 turbo Buick. Just because that one's cursed, doesn't mean that they all are. Anything else that you get that you like will be parked in the boondocks too, so that is not a fair part of the equation. Actually, I am looking for another clean '87 turbo Buick so that I may have twice the fun of boondock parking and fear of being stolen, hit, damamged, folded, spindled, or mutilated.

I'd pick up a late 70's early 80's Malibu...You know the G-body Malibu's.

There's one down thr street for sale for $300 bux, gut the interior, build a small block...Depending on my budget I'd either go carbed, and spray a 400 shot on it, or throw a FAST on it and twin turbo it.

ronbuick said:
New Mustang

Ron

For all the votes for a mustang. He said something that HOLDS its value. I wont even get into how much i dislike the idea of everyone and their mother owning one as well. So, i dont take it for a rice burner but i would go for a 3000GT VR4. Twin turbo All wheel drive, all wheel steering, 6-speed manual. I like the 99 and it has something like 350-360HP stock!!! They also have a built in electric cutout in the exhaust that bypasses the cats. Its pretty technological for its age. My friend had one with a boost controller and he never lost a race. Takes down cobras and WS6 and vettes no problem. Just what i think.

:biggrin:

Attachments

• RX7home2.JPG
    RX7home2.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 475
I love the TrailBlazer SS we just got. Now that we need a bigger car for the arriving baby, i may get the SS as my driver. So i may unload one or more of my hobby cars, which is the GN and a 89 K5 Blazer. Next time i come down i will show you it, or just go test drive one, you will love it.

Scott

Yeah, a new Mustang or Blazer is definitely not an option. Even the Cobra is out, too rich for my blood, though it will probably hold alot of it's value.

87we410877 said:
For all the votes for a mustang. He said something that HOLDS its value. I wont even get into how much i dislike the idea of everyone and their mother owning one as well. So, i dont take it for a rice burner but i would go for a 3000GT VR4. Twin turbo All wheel drive, all wheel steering, 6-speed manual. I like the 99 and it has something like 350-360HP stock!!! They also have a built in electric cutout in the exhaust that bypasses the cats. Its pretty technological for its age. My friend had one with a boost controller and he never lost a race. Takes down cobras and WS6 and vettes no problem. Just what i think.

I'd have to concur. As someone who specializes in retailing ultra low mileage Stealth RT Turbos and 3000GT VR4s, these cars are hugely fun, reliable, and hold their value very well.

A few corrections to the above statement: 91-93s had 300 hp stock, and 94-99s had 320 hp stock. 91-93s had a 5 speed manual, 94-99s had 6 speeds. Not all years had the all-wheel steering. They are very comfortable to drive, extremely well-balanced, and are very quick. My daily driver is a 91 Stealth RT Turbo with just 31k miles (bought it with 17k miles). Lots of fun.

dhauser said:
I'd have to concur. As someone who specializes in retailing ultra low mileage Stealth RT Turbos and 3000GT VR4s, these cars are hugely fun, reliable, and hold their value very well.

A few corrections to the above statement: 91-93s had 300 hp stock, and 94-99s had 320 hp stock. 91-93s had a 5 speed manual, 94-99s had 6 speeds. Not all years had the all-wheel steering. They are very comfortable to drive, extremely well-balanced, and are very quick. My daily driver is a 91 Stealth RT Turbo with just 31k miles (bought it with 17k miles). Lots of fun.

I realized my errors after i posted. I was just going off the top of my head. Still a sick sick sick car though!!!!!!

Tough choice, I'm hooked on GN/TRs and if I got rid of my GN I would be looking for another in a few months. But...if I wanted a daily driver at an affordable price and hold its value, I would look closely at an '83-'84 H/O (better choice, more power) or '86-'87 442. They aren't terribly expenisive (especially the 442), somewhat plentiful, very reliable and look great too. Hey and I would look nice parked next to your GN....A buddy of mine just picked up two 442s for $7500 bucks. and '86 and an '87 the '86 was restored and in very nice condition (Believe it, it's true). Now this was not your every day deal....He practically stole those cars. Where am I when these deals are made?