what would happen if ??

REDS HOT AIR

Buick Tweaker
what would happen if a lockup solenoid was not sealed in the pump ?

like if someone used a 2004r solenoid and had the spacers for a 700r4 solenoid and the o-ring did not have a good seal

I was questioned about this and I have no Idea so figured Id ask the pro's :)

It would

Have trouble locking and holding the converter clutch on. It would be as if the solenoid was "open" all the time. Not good!:eek:

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

lock up would slip or not work at all depending on the severity of the leak.the 700 doesnt use spacers,however the 2004r does when using a universal solenoid.there are no ill effects with this type and we use them from time to time with good luck.

lock up would slip or not work at all depending on the severity of the leak.the 700 doesnt use spacers,however the 2004r does when using a universal solenoid.there are no ill effects with this t

:cool:

so it would only affect lock-up

I was wondering if it would affect conveter charge (decrease in efficiency) or lower pressure thruout the tranny

Not generally

but with that big of leak trying to exhaust lock up, it could very well effect pressures.

Bruce
We4
www.PTSXTREME.com

2nd clutch oil bled off of the 1/2 shift circuit is fed to the solenoid via an orifice in the pump to the solenoid bore to stroke the solenoid when the solenoid is grounded.without the solenoid it will bleed off .it however is not a huge amount but enough to reduce oil pressure slightly.if you dont install the solenoid itll leak out the bore.as long as the solenoid is in itll bleed off at a rate that is not harmfull to transmission operation.