What would be a good replacement for a TE61?

GSTOY

Mine's got more problems than just bearings and I really don't want to dump good money into this thing, so I'm going to bite the bullet and find something to replace my 61. Been looking around and seems like the 6262 would be a very good option given my combo. Goals are to run mid to low 11's...enough to lay the smack down when needed on the street. Thoughts?

Steve

Yep, 6262 would be a nice step up yet not spool that much differently.

Still has the stocker, but plan on get one of Dusty's 10" this summer. Yea its a pig off the line, but once it gets into boost, it's one hell of a kick in the pants.

If you want mid to low 11's you really don't need anything bigger than a 44/49, or whatever the billet equivalent is (don't follow the smaller turbos much).

Don't fall into the bigger is better trap, focus on your goals and you will have a more street friendly car.

To elaborate on what Colin said above...

Bison's blue car with a halfway similar combo as you put 476 to the tires with what equates to a 6176 turbo. Looks like he ran 11.30's with a 1.80 short time with that tune up.

I wouldn't be suprised if Dusty wants you to use a 9.5" unit. From what I've read, at that HP level you'll be driving over the 10" unit on the top end.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...o-test-tonight-bigger-isnt-always-better.html

To elaborate on what Colin said above...

Bison's blue car with a halfway similar combo as you put 476 to the tires with what equates to a 6176 turbo. Looks like he ran 11.30's with a 1.80 short time with that tune up.

I wouldn't be suprised if Dusty wants you to use a 9.5" unit. From what I've read, at that HP level you'll be driving over the 10" unit on the top end.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...o-test-tonight-bigger-isnt-always-better.html
Keep in mind that was with low compression and a set of heads with bowl clean up and stock valves. It was 90+* that day and the car trapped 122mph. With the current tune on that car it would run 125+ in 70-80*air. The average road horsepower with the 9.5" ptc is very high. The engine spends 90% or more of it's time within 300 rpm of peak power on a quarter pass. 460whp is enough to run 10's weighing 3600 lbs with the 9.5".