What Waxes and Cleaners Do You Use?...

Yankee John

I am getting ahead of myself, as my GN is in the bodyshop now, but what waxes and other cleaning agents do you use on your Grand National that maximizes shine and minimizes swirl marks?

I've never owned a black car before this.....

Thanks in advance!
John

i have found that the meguiar NXT wax is great. I use to use the Ealge one WET brand till they discontinued it. Don't ever use the nano wax unless you have a buffer.

Turtle wax Ice is by far the best wax I've used. Wipes off easily and works on black molding. No white residue anywhere! The shine is astounding. I finally tried it after a bunch of people told me about it. Couldn't believe it.

I use Adam's Polishes and Waxes on all my cars. The stuff is very 'high-end' so be prepared when you browse the site. My favorite wax they have for hand application is called Buttery Wax. Super easy to apply, and just as easy to remove. ZERO dusty residue and does not leave white chalky crap on black trim.

If you really want to get into it, invest in a Porter Cable #7424 orbital polisher and go crazy! The thing is awesome and makes it a breeze to create a perfect finish even for amature's like me.

Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detail Supplies - Adam's Polishes

FWIW, I have tried Zaino polishes and they SUCK, stay clear!

zaino works on old paint. and their detail spray does not have alchol in it, so it wont strip the wax off. that is great stuff.

I always used Mothers or Maguires, prefer the latter. Might have to try the Turtle wax though. That is, if I ever get time to wash it!

I bought some zaino to try. I thought it did a pretty good job. I buffed it with Menzerna before I put it on. That really got rid of the haze.

Menzerna is a good polish. There are several levels of abrasiveness. I think it can be purchased at Autogeek. I like to wax with Pinnacle Souveran.

I use Meguiar's "Gold Class" regularly with pretty good results. :wink: Also, I won a "Zaino" kit in a car show, but I've never tried it yet...it's still on a shelf, but I'll try it someday...:rolleyes:

Claude. :smile:

Consumer reports, as of 6/2006

If your car has a weathered finish and needs a deep cleaning;
1 Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax BM48016
2 Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6
Both are all-around cleaner waxes that did well in all of our tests.
But Black Magic needs extra buffing to prevent streaking.

For an easy shine and compatiblity with plastics:
Eagle One Wax-As-U-Dry
It does not clean well or last long, but it’s good for a quick shine.

If your vehicle is new or still has a newer finish:
Turtle Wax 1 Step Wax & Dry T-9
It is easy to use, is economical, and won’t degrade the existing shine, but you’ll have to reapply it frequently to maintain the protection.

Consumer reports, as of 6/2006

If your car has a weathered finish and needs a deep cleaning;
1 Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax BM48016
2 Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6
Both are all-around cleaner waxes that did well in all of our tests.
But Black Magic needs extra buffing to prevent streaking.

For an easy shine and compatiblity with plastics:
Eagle One Wax-As-U-Dry
It does not clean well or last long, but it’s good for a quick shine.

If your vehicle is new or still has a newer finish:
Turtle Wax 1 Step Wax & Dry T-9
It is easy to use, is economical, and won’t degrade the existing shine, but you’ll have to reapply it frequently to maintain the protection.

Good info here, thanks Jerryl!

any wax/cleaner/polish can actually mess up the paint if not done correctly. Do some research on cleaning the car. Pay attention to tools, techniques, and tips like staying out of sun and heat...

as for me I use mcguires stuff for the most part. For a last step sealant I use their synthetic paint sealant, according to them it's better than a wax product. You can argue with them wether that's correct! It works for me though...

edit: I've heard from show car people with great examples that swear by zanio, and I'll say I love those results as well!