What turbo should I get?

Gknational

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post to the Grand national community. I have purchased a 1987 grand national over 2 years ago and I have been restoring it and building it. She has 32k original miles and is in need of some love. I have been tossing the idea of getting a new turbo for a wile and I think mine is on its last legs. What should I get. I’m not really interested in running more that 17/18 psi of boost. I would like to not risk the integerty of the motor ether.
I do have most supporting mods
42lbs injectiors
Fuel system mods
Hotwire kit
Power plate
Lt1 Maf
Going to put in comp cams 980-12 valve springs

Not at 17psi, they will react the same, things change when they are pushed past 23 psi.
The ta49 would be the biggest id go with the stock converter otherwise great lag comes in.
I was planing on a down pipe, and my converter is beat out so no resistance.

Best turbo for a stockish combo. It is a ball bearing turbo so, it works with a stock converter.
Best bang for the buck. I just ordered one .

Best turbo for a stockish combo. It is a ball bearing turbo so, it works with a stock converter.
Do you know anyone running it , how does it do on these Cars. Any other ball bearing options?

PS the ball bearing is +500.00 on top of 799.00
I have a old Precision 5857 that uses the F57 exhaust wheel That make good stuff
The guy I have doing it is pretty well known in the area and has worked on GNs since they where new.
If its not Dave or Lonnie it a crap shut.If you leave it stock he may be OK but Lonnie and Dave have built custom hard parts that can take the extra HP Your buddy dose not have these parts and problems noes nothing about them.

The price is 799.00 for the ball bearing and billet wheel. I ordered one.
TB.png

I was planing on a down pipe, and my converter is beat out so no resistance.
Honestly there is no need for a ballbearing cartridge on a small 58mm turbo especially if the converter is spot on,
to take it a step above stock-ish i would over build the fuel system, order a 3" dp from rjc or Ta, loose the cat, seriously consider an alky system because its too tempting to turn the boost up, call Dave Husek to spec you a converter and a stage 1 trans, also a TT chip, the pte 5831 is a great bargain for a billet wheel turbo if you dont mind the non stock appearing look
me personally im partial to turbonetics because i been using them for 30 years but there wasn't many choices back then.

Its all about what you want the end result to be with your car the sky and your pockets the limit, we say only 17-18psi but it really never stops there we are all a victim of that LOL, the car really isnt making much power at 17# and gets boring real quick when you cant run down modern muscle cars, but those things above are the basic's then theres a whole different chapter on tuning.:cool:

You've got a low mile TR...keep it as close to stock as possible. Tell Eric when you order the chip you're gonna run 20 pounds of boost. It'll have plenty of fuel in it so you don't blow it up...and not blow it up in the cooler weather when the engine needs the extra fuel if you decide to get on the loud pedal. Grab yourself PL...and lower the low gear fueling and add a touch of low gear timing...and it'll wake up. I'd go with the equivalent of the TA-49 and a GOOD 2800 stall convertor for stop light action.