What turbo should I get?

Your not getting that type of power on 17psi that’s for sure.You need octane or ALKY to turn the boost up to make real power .If you choose to leave the boost at that level leave the stock turbo on the car with 93 octane it will run the best at that level.
Would you say running alky and higher boost be safer. Well obviously not safer cause more power more risk. But what setup would I need to not worry about blowing my motor or fing it up.

Ok, so you don’t think their would be any improvement for running a TA49 or precision5831
Let me put it this way, I would bet good money that 8 outta 10 people would be happy with a good running, good tune, stock eng. stock turbo along with 93/Alky... It is hands down the best bang for the buck while being very user friendly and mostly idiot proof...I used it on 4 of my 5 Tta's and 1 Ttype, my current GN is on E85 and i may end up going to 93/Alky on it...

Would you say running alky and higher boost be safer. Well obviously not safer cause more power more risk. But what setup would I need to not worry about blowing my motor or fing it up.
On a stock set of heads you'll go nowhere. How fast do you wanna go...and we'll let you know how deep your pockets have to be. Guys like Murph have gone insanely fast on a stock long block...but the car was lightened up...suspension dialed in...and they could tune like no ones business.

If I where you I would leave the car at 17 psi no ALKY.Do a lot of Reading here on old posts and anything you have questions on use the search function it’s been covered at one time or another.Understand the Car and how it works before you do anything it’s important to understand the Tune by looking at numbers on a Scan Tool know what your seeing before you go fast.You do not want to have one of these rebuilt there very expensive.

If I where you I would leave the car at 17 psi no ALKY.Do a lot of Reading here on old posts and anything you have questions on use the search function it’s been covered at one time or another.Understand the Car and how it works before you do anything it’s important to understand the Tune by looking at numbers on a Scan Tool know what your seeing before you go fast.You do not want to have one of these rebuilt there very expensive.
Hello, and thanks for all the reply’s. So what I have heard is leave all alone until I know I want to run higher boost and then decide weather I would go with a alky system. Are these systems fool proof and easy to use can I cause massive damage by incorrect tuning?

Let me put it this way, I would bet good money that 8 outta 10 people would be happy with a good running, good tune, stock eng. stock turbo along with 93/Alky... It is hands down the best bang for the buck while being very user friendly and mostly idiot proof...I used it on 4 of my 5 Tta's and 1 Ttype, my current GN is on E85 and i may end up going to 93/Alky on it...
That's how I put them right into the 11s around 112 to 114mph on a 1.5 60ft on a completely stock engine setup even on a stock injector with a stock ecm tt chip and a single nozzle on stock rims and drag radials.
On 108 109mph they still go 1.6fts and 12.20s.
They are alot of fun for not alot of money.

Hello, and thanks for all the reply’s. So what I have heard is leave all alone until I know I want to run higher boost and then decide weather I would go with a alky system. Are these systems fool proof and easy to use can I cause massive damage by incorrect tuning?
The alky system is the provides the octane and extra fuel blanket
It's a separate fuel system.
Nothing is foolproof no matter what system.
The pressure should be monitored with a gauge and the pump should be switched out and sent to julio as it sits in methanol all its life time varies.
If done right it is the biggest bang for the buck on these cars and on the stock motor stock intercooler stock turbo setup it shines like no other.
Yes you can make 400hp with what you have.
Do the research in the links listed above or go into the alky section in this board and look at the stickey😉

The alky system is the provides the octane and extra fuel blanket
It's a separate fuel system.
Nothing is foolproof no matter what system.
The pressure should be monitored with a gauge and the pump should be switched out and sent to julio as it sits in methanol all its life time varies.
If done right it is the biggest bang for the buck on these cars and on the stock motor stock intercooler stock turbo setup it shines like no other.
Yes you can make 400hp with what you have.
Do the research in the links listed above or go into the alky section in this board and look at the stickey😉
Ok thanks, so what I should do when I’m ready for it is to put on a Alky system and re tune it for that, that will make it safe for me to run 20-22 psi out of my current stock turbo. Like I said this is my first GN and this stuff can be confusing.

Ok thanks, so what I should do when I’m ready for it is to put on a Alky system and re tune it for that, that will make it safe for me to run 20-22 psi out of my current stock turbo. Like I said this is my first GN and this stuff can be confusing.
I just found out you are in Buffalo . You can message Bill Brooks on FB and he could probably help you out and maybe I could pop over and help out too . I'm in Rochester .

Yeah no doubt there is a learning curve but if you are in fact 19yo it won't be your last.. and you have plenty of time.

I just found out you are in Buffalo . You can message Bill Brooks on FB and he could probably help you out and maybe I could pop over and help out too . I'm in Rochester .
Actually I’m in Gasport NY off 31 near medina. And yeah I got a few pics of it and I’m gonna start doing the performance stuff in spring, but I listed a full build sheet of what I have in a early post.

The alky kit can allow for maximum boost re read my posts😉
But you should be able to easily go low 20s on boost without being a master tuner
Read the stickey in the alky section

Lots of good ideas but look at his mods and what he's comfortable with, 17-18psi etc.

No exhaust mods???

Here's my take....
You haven't maxed out the stock turbo yet, you have back pressure mods to do still on both sides (intake/exhaust) to get more out of your current parts. These also feel great on the street as the turbo spools faster and pulls harder all on the same 18psi (you'll actually have to lower the boost with a manual controller because it'll spike up with each back pressure mod)

Exhaust = DP, test pipe and muffler. On this platform this is huge, that stock turbo will really wake up and feel strong up top. Put a big 3" elephant snout on it with a test pipe and free flowing muffler and call it a day.

If you need more, Dutt neck IC mod or Precision SLIC, this will add some power and free up back pressure. Still on 18psi but cars a little quicker and turbo map gets more efficient with less heat at the same psi.

Like Mr.Spool and many others, we milked and maxed out small turbos with mods around them until we needed more hp but until then, back pressure mods are great, release the Kraken!!

Lots of good ideas but look at his mods and what he's comfortable with, 17-18psi etc.

No exhaust mods???

Here's my take....
You haven't maxed out the stock turbo yet, you have back pressure mods to do still on both sides (intake/exhaust) to get more out of your current parts. These also feel great on the street as the turbo spools faster and pulls harder all on the same 18psi (you'll actually have to lower the boost with a manual controller because it'll spike up with each back pressure mod)

Exhaust = DP, test pipe and muffler. On this platform this is huge, that stock turbo will really wake up and feel strong up top. Put a big 3" elephant snout on it with a test pipe and free flowing muffler and call it a day.

If you need more, Dutt neck IC mod or Precision SLIC, this will add some power and free up back pressure. Still on 18psi but cars a little quicker and turbo map gets more efficient with less heat at the same psi.

Like Mr.Spool and many others, we milked and maxed out small turbos with mods around them until we needed more hp but until then, back pressure mods are great, release the Kraken!!
Thanks for the reply everywhere I look is saying the down pipe is huge, I would probably put a wide band in for tuning purposes too. Is it really worth it to put one on, also what’s involved with a boost controller, could I do the same with a adjustable wastage?

3" isn't that huge, also you want to relieve as much BP as possible so having nice open bends etc are why the 3" is better than the stock DP with narrowing and sharp bends etc. Test pipe is the biggest gain though, maybe a 3psi spike you'll notice in boost (I used to have all this written down).

Manual boost controller, get a quality one like a Hallman Pro at $100. Then turn it all the way OUT and slowly add 1/4 turn after each short blast until it starts to raise up off the actuator boost (like 12psi etc). Once you get it settled at 18psi put some tape on the knob to the body to keep it in place and you'll notice a slight increase in spool in just that addition vs factory solenoid. We all just unplug the solenoid BTW.

If you're into keeping it looking factory that's different, then test pipe and adjustable WG rod so the solenoid will keep you at chip boost levels. This will be a nice bump before a new Turbo.

I'm assuming you are still rocking on..
Stock DP with elbow?
Stock catalytic?
Stock muffler?
Stock boost solenoid?
Stock turbo actuator?

3" isn't that huge, also you want to relieve as much BP as possible so having nice open bends etc are why the 3" is better than the stock DP with narrowing and sharp bends etc. Test pipe is the biggest gain though, maybe a 3psi spike you'll notice in boost (I used to have all this written down).

Manual boost controller, get a quality one like a Hallman Pro at $100. Then turn it all the way OUT and slowly add 1/4 turn after each short blast until it starts to raise up off the actuator boost (like 12psi etc). Once you get it settled at 18psi put some tape on the knob to the body to keep it in place and you'll notice a slight increase in spool in just that addition vs factory solenoid. We all just unplug the solenoid BTW.

If you're into keeping it looking factory that's different, then test pipe and adjustable WG rod so the solenoid will keep you at chip boost levels. This will be a nice bump before a new Turbo.

I'm assuming you are still rocking on..
Stock DP with elbow?
Stock catalytic?
Stock muffler?
Stock boost solenoid?
Stock turbo actuator?
Yes the only thing that isn’t stock well it kinda is. Is the converter I beat the combs out cause she was plugged solid so that would help, do you think there is a need for a test pip then?