What to do with my stock rear end....

87GNcospg

Send your Donations
I was blessed without having the G80 option on my GN.
What have you guys done in this situation? Just get an Eaton unit or should I invest more in building a stronger rear end, axles, etc.
Goals are to eventually have a high 10 second car.

Well you could grab a stock posi and save a few bucks. The stock gears are strong. Add some Moser axles and a TA girdle and call it good.
Used posi...$275 approx
Moser axles...$260
TA girdle...$160
Install kit...$100
This should hold up pretty good.
TTAOWNER had a 30spline unit for sale. 30 spline axles are same price as 28's.

I was blessed without having the G80 option on my GN.
What have you guys done in this situation? Just get an Eaton unit or should I invest more in building a stronger rear end, axles, etc.
Goals are to eventually have a high 10 second car.
If you have the G87 option you 'should' be able to install an Eaton posi unit. At least that's what I read. I went ahead and bought an aftermarket Eaton unit, but have yet to install it so I can't verify anything....yet.

If you have the G87 option you 'should' be able to install an Eaton posi unit. At least that's what I read. I went ahead and bought an aftermarket Eaton unit, but have yet to install it so I can't verify anything....yet.
what would prevent me from installing an eaton unit?

I went with an Eaton shortly after my first trip to the track. No way to launch. When I got to the low 12s I went with Moser axles and a cover. The Eaton is rock solid.

G87???????
g87= 8.5 rear

to just do an eaton you would need to get a 28spline eaton as stock axles are 28 spline
the upgrade would be get a 30 spline eaton and do 30 spline axles , no cost difference but the 28 moser axles arent all that if you start hooking the car hard

going to an eaton you will also need to pick up larger carrier bearings , you cant run stock side bearings

g87= 8.5 rear

to just do an eaton you would need to get a 28spline eaton as stock axles are 28 spline
the upgrade would be get a 30 spline eaton and do 30 spline axles , no cost difference but the 28 moser axles arent all that if you start hooking the car hard

going to an eaton you will also need to pick up larger carrier bearings , you cant run stock side bearings

Thank you. This is exactly the info I needed. If anyone would like to supply me with part #s or the best vendor to order these parts from i would really appreciate it. I might be getting a little greedy now with these request.....

Well with the cost of stock clutches (if you can even find any ) An Eaton would be the best option (Dont buy s cone style or an Aulburn IMHO)
Eaton is who GM used to make the stockers for years.Unless you are below 1.60s in the 60 foot stock axles would be fine .Moser has an upgraded stock 28 spline axle.Most of the time the carrier is easy to replace just check your end play .If you R&R the shims in the same place 9 out of 10 it will work perfect

I already got the carrier bearing with my Eaton 8.5 unit. So, all I should need are shims? Will I have to get axle bearings as well or will the stock ones work?

hawkfan said:
I already got the carrier bearing with my Eaton 8.5 unit. So, all I should need are shims? Will I have to get axle bearings as well or will the stock ones work?

Hey Brian,
When ever you get something apart like that, you don't want to put used parts, like bearings, back in. Swap them out.

stock outer axle bearings are fine with replacement axles ( 1.398" ) , but check your axle for any unuasual wear and the check seals for leaking
now is the time to replace them if needed

if you go with race axles they have a larger diameter shaft ( 1.533" )and use larger outer bearings , youd need to use moser 9000 c-clip elims for those axles

Hey Brian,
When ever you get something apart like that, you don't want to put used parts, like bearings, back in. Swap them out.
Thanks. So an install kit from gearsareus is in order to do it right.

B4 U buy the Moser axles, check to see if they still use the hokey brg carrier. If so, you have to have special tools to change the seal.
BTDT. The new axles leaked like a sieve. Seems some clown used an axe to install them. They were beat to pieces.
Of course, the smart alec's first comment was, "you didn't install them right". Wrong, 2 dogs, you guys built them...It was down hill from there. Sent me a seal, but wouldn't tell me where to get 1 locally...SSS, I guess.:rolleyes:
I now buy my stuff from Strange, or MW.

Thank you. This is exactly the info I needed. If anyone would like to supply me with part #s or the best vendor to order these parts from i would really appreciate it. I might be getting a little greedy now with these request.....
I'm pretty sure gbodyparts.com has eatons and moser axles

Thanks. So an install kit from gearsareus is in order to do it right.
The install kit work great when we did my posi. If you are not going to run 10s immediately, wait to go for c-clip eliminators and the aftermarket axles. I went to the stock replacement Mosers when I got to the 11s which took a few years for me. That was an easy swap. Did the seals then. You may want to go to the Strange axles and their c-clip eliminator. Supposedly they are more street friendly. I have no experience with either c-clip eliminators. I do like my Eaton posi though. It's probably worth your time to give gearsarus a call to discuss your goals, time frame and budget.

Ill be ordering the 28 spline Eaton unit and the 8.5 Eaton Posi Ring and Pinion Installation Kit from gbodyparts this week. Im going to wait on the ta girdle cover and reuse stock axles for now.