what the hell is this?

chubba

i found this installed between the spedo cable speedo.jpeg

does it have a 145mph speedo?? If it does it may be a reducer for the needle to be accurate

no it has a digital dash 87 regal limited it was reading way off installed i removed it and it reads correct

i feel sorry

for the guy who only took the face plate and not gear reducer . at one time it had a 145 speedo .. :biggrin:

my promlem is i just ordered a tt chip and told them my speedo was way off i dont know how this affects the chip

i got a question about it. i have it and the 145 speedo which works fine but on the scanmaster its still reading 20mph slower?:confused:

that reducer allows a std speedo to work with just changng the number layout to read to 145

the speed the ecm sees with that reducer is off by roughly 40% slower than actual because the speeo cable is spinning slower , it also screws up the lockup speed if you have a lockup trans it wont activate lockup until you're over 80mph

you need to remove it and have your speedometer properly calibrated
or install an aftermarket inline vss sender(and buffer) before the reducer
, check with casper electronics for the vss and buffer.

some cars and trucks had those installed from the factory- my 79 Chevy 3/4 ton has one poking out of the side of the transfer case.

that seems like the silly way to get a 145 speedo overlay to read right- it would drive me crazy having my odometer be off by 50%..

some cars and trucks had those installed from the factory- my 79 Chevy 3/4 ton has one poking out of the side of the transfer case.

that seems like the silly way to get a 145 speedo overlay to read right- it would drive me crazy having my odometer be off by 50%..

i never like the 145 speedos that used those adapters

yes it does screw up the odometer readings
if you tried to calculate your MPG off of it , if you drive 300miles it only shows that you drove 170miles

or that the 55k cream puff car your looking to by with that nifty bowling green 145mph speedometer actually
has about 100Kmi

btw those adapter were used on lots of vehicles from the factory but none that i'm aware of were any where near the ratio of the BG 145 speedo reducer, most were used to allow a tire change without requiring changing the internal speedometer gears in the trans and most common reducers/accelerators were only geared at around 3%

and those reducers aren't cheap

On a digital dash you switch it over to km\h to get your rite speed

you wouldnt have that reducer with a digital dash , its for the 145mph overlay on the analog dash without recalibrating the speedometer , Kirban does the 145 analog speedometer that is calibrated and doesnt require the reducer

for the digital guys that the speedo blinks when it hits 85 its easy , casperselectronics sells an upgrade chip that allows the digital dash to read to 199mph

What ratio is it. It should be stamped on it. Everyone is making assumptions here.

Using the reducer also effects when your lock up converter actually locks. It will start locking up around 30 mph or less since it is getting a false reading.

I remember mine not unlocking as i was getting off the highway and aroung 30 mph started locking and unlocking rapidly. It took a while figure out what was causing this to happen.

The proper way to do things is to send the speedometer cluster to Caspers and have them recalibrate it. I believe that's who did mine about 5 years ago.

I haven't had a problem since.

D