What steering wheel do I have?

0-60n4

I got a refurbished steering wheel from Sue and Joe. Mine is a lighter gray but the big problem is they are different steering wheels. The plastic collar will not fit on the back on the new wheel. The spline section is longer than mine. I didn't even try to mount the new wheel but I expect the shaft may not have extended through the new wheel enough for the nut to go on. Joe noted how the leather extends further the wings on mine than his. He thinks mine is not a Grand National steering wheel. He thoughts maybe a Lesabre but I don't see a Lesabre wheel like that.

Any idea what I have? I bet someone here knows right away.

Attachments

• steering wheel 1.JPG
    steering wheel 1.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 277
  • steering wheel 2.JPG
    steering wheel 2.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 229
The one they supplied looks correct after looking at a spare wheel in storage that was bought used to be a 1987 replacement.

LeSabre did have a T type option as did centuries etc.

Maybe you have an older steering column replacement or one that fits from another model?

Not an expert but just some thoughts.

Joe thinks its a replacement steering column and steering wheel also. He thinks my leather is the GM pace car color. strange it matches the rest of my interior though. Good puzzle here. I bet someone will identify it.

I would guess Buick Riviera (T type I think). Since it was front wheel drive it might explain why it doesnt fit your Regal.

I would guess Buick Riviera (T type I think). Since it was front wheel drive it might explain why it doesnt fit your Regal.
Riviera was one I thought about also. But this steering wheel is what's on my GN now. It's possible the steering column has been swapped at some point.

Riviera was one I thought about also. But this steering wheel is what's on my GN now. It's possible the steering column has been swapped at some point.

here is a Riv wheel .. looks to be the same

Attachments

• Riv_wheel.jpg
    Riv_wheel.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 173
I checked my spare GN/T-type steering wheels and they match what Sue and Joe sent you. Yours definitely came off of one of the front wheel drive T-types. The overall length of the splines on the two wheels appear to be the same. Yours has a thicker base but shorter extension. The GN steering wheel has a thinner base but longer extension. Maybe if you found a grey plastic collar from a GN or T-type Regal it will work. Put the new one on and see how it fits.

I have pulled wheels off late 80's LeSabre and Century T Types .They are identical to our cars. The ones like you have were used on the 82 and earlier Regals and Riviera's. They might have been used on some of the 83 Models as well. The longer leather extensions on the spokes is the give away. This is one on an 82 Grand National
DSC02729.jpg

I ended up with one of these wheels also. The part numbers are even the same, but the hub welded on the back is thicker. I put the wheel in the lathe and machined it down to the thickness of the correct wheel. Worked perfect. I think I actually bought my wheel from the same person that restored yours.

I just had Joe/Sue restore my wheel. Very happy with their work. Having the wrong wheel on my car would bug the sh!t out of me.

I just sent my modified wheel to Joe and Sue. Sue told me the diameter of my wheel is slightly different from a GN wheel. I thought they were the same except for the leather length and thicker hub. I'm not sure if she meant overall diameter or the thickness of the outer ring of the wheel. The GN wheel is definitely thicker. She said it can't be wrapped to look like a GN.

I have ? How much does it cost to get it done and can do have their number thanks regalwe4 sorry for jumping in on the thread