What size turbine wheel (Inducer) is needed to make 1000Hp at the tire?

GNDriven

What is the smallest turbine wheel do you think can meet this Hp goal? Lets keep the compressor wheel under 82mm.

What is the largest exhaust wheel you would go with to meet this goal and still have "decent" spool response?

Thanks

It is a 274 offcenter stage II, with GN-1s. Shifting around 6500, while the converter couples around 5800. Right now i'm going 152mph with a 75mm. I have not logged back pressure, but I bet it is creeping up there. Best guess is 2:1 range

Car is currently good fun to drive with a .96 undivided AR, so I guess Ill have to give up some of the boost response.

On a v6 you could hit 1000whp if the converter slip was low using a 75mm exducer turbine. Backpressure would be very high. It wouldn't matter too much on the compressor. Probably get there with the right 71mm inducer compressor. With the high backpressure air quality would need to be really good and wastegate strategy spot on.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Bison what do u consider low slip %? Less than what number?
Theres no specific number. Depends on the final drive. Which is why you can't get too hung up on Dyno numbers. A car with 3.08 gear would be slipping a lot more than one with 3.42 and everything else the same. One thing I'll say is If you're not working the balls off the converter then you aren't going fast with a small turbo. The engine needs to be loaded as long as possible in each gear. I would run a 2.20:1 first and use a 3.23 rear gear with a 29" slick or even taller gear with a shorter tire if I was attempting to trap 160mph with a small turbo. Air drag can be a problem also and should be dealt with. If the car isn't picking up 25% from eighth to quarter something's off

BPE2013@hotmail.com

On a v6 you could hit 1000whp if the converter slip was low using a 75mm exducer turbine. Backpressure would be very high. It wouldn't matter too much on the compressor. Probably get there with the right 71mm inducer compressor. With the high backpressure air quality would need to be really good and wastegate strategy spot on.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

I am wanting to upgrade my turbo and make a few more ponies. I don't really want to try and squeeze every bit out of this 75mm turbine inducing high backpressure, rather upgrade to a wheel that will allow me to hit my target of 1000 rwhp and still have a little left in it.
I would like to get some opinions on what wheel size would be good to achieve 1000hp at say 32psi MAP, and yet not be complete dog to spool. Right now I can get 8psi at 4000 rpm at the starting line using the t-brake.

Seems like the trend these days is keeping the compressor rather small, 71 - 82 mm and making the turbine wheel huge, prob a GT55 wheel or something crazy. Which I do not want, for I have a hydraulic cam and don't have another 600 rpm to operate the turbo.

A gt42 turbine would be the largest I would use on this combo. Something like a Gt47-80 is still to much turbo for 6500 rpm. If you had a converter to spool a 47-80, it would not couple well under 6500 rpm. A Gt55 turbine would beed to go 8000+.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The turbine wheel in a GT42 is 82mm.
The GT45 turbine wheel is 87mm.

So you think the 82mm is a good wheel?
How much more RPM do you think I need to operate the 87mm?

My guess is that your "76billet" turbo is a PTE 7675?

That's basically a GT42 in smaller housings on both sides. Pretty sure the turbine wheel is the same size is it not?

Switching to the GT42 style housing will actually buy you some AND I don't think you should be too wrapped up with boost level, backpressure, etc. It won't be ideal, but with your combo and wants, it's the only way to get there without more RPM... it'll be tough to get to 160mph as it is with your 6500rpm anyway.. right?

No it is a Comp turbo. It is a .96 T4 GT42 style turbo, not like a PTE unit. The compressor cover is 5" inlet and 3" outlet.
It has their 75mm turbine wheel.
The largest exhaust wheel, comp can install is a 79mm straight cut wheel. I would have to go to their mid frame turbo to get a larger turbine.
I am not sure if the 79mm comp turbine wheel can do 1000RWHP and not be crazy high on the backpressure.

Oh and I haven't proved that it can't be done with the 75mm. So I am not claiming that it can't be, I just have doubts based on a few data points, and paying attention to what others have done with different turbo combination.

Let me ask, has anyone demonstrated 1000RWHP with a 75mm exhaust wheel? Either on the dyno, or based on MPH/weight?

Yes.. look at the TSL guys.. class is no more, but guys were running 155-160mph and maybe more at 3400lbs... you can youtube it.

I am not sure what the TSL guys are running for a turbo...good point I will look it up. I do see the top guys in TSM are running high 8s say 8.90s at about 150. Their 60' are great too, at 1.30 average. All that is doable with 1000hp at the crank. Which is prob 880Hp at the tire. I am looking to a position like TSL I suppose, that can make a couple hundred more than TSM yet a couple hundred less than the top TSO guys are making. I bet TSO cars are pushing 1300 at the tire, but they are running some BIG exhaust wheels to do so. Why? well with a slight larger turbo than I have now I think I can still have decent spool and run 8.60s with a high 1.3X at that. My car would still be FUN to me but yet be dam competitive with a lot of cars. That is the essence of a turbo Buick V6, tame, quiet, and set to kill.