What other cars came with the 8.5 rear

BandAid

Keyboard Bully
I have a NA Regal with a 7.5 rear and no posi ,want to find a junkyard rear and swap it in....prefer true bolt in rear...
Dennis

I

heard the cutlass 442? not positive, but just as hard to find in a bone yard as a gn or t. Good luck.

TURBO REGALs are the only true doners for a swap as gears are 3.42

HURST OLDS and 442s have 8.5" but those have 3.73 gears

finding one in a junkyard doesnt happen much

better chance getting one off this board as they pop up regularly or you can call bob hebert or brian weavy

pacecarta said:
TURBO REGALs are the only true doners for a swap as gears are 3.42

HURST OLDS and 442s have 8.5" but those have 3.73 gears

finding one in a junkyard doesnt happen much

better chance getting one off this board as they pop up regularly or you can call bob hebert or brian weavy

And if you find an 83 Hurst/Olds it will have the 3.73-7.5" in it. Only the 84 Hurst/Olds and 442's had the 8.5"

Yep, 8.5" 3.73 in the '84 Hurst/Olds, '85-'87 442; 8.5" 3.42 in '84-'87 Turbo Regals. '83 H/Os and Turbo Regals are unique in that they came with the 200-4R transmission but 7.5" rears.

BandAid said:
I have a NA Regal with a 7.5 rear and no posi ,want to find a junkyard rear and swap it in....prefer true bolt in rear...
Dennis
Are you looking for an 8.5 posi rear or 8.5 open rear? I may have few open rears left. Either way they are not cheep and it's very hard to find them at the bone yard. All the guys with G body cars are after them. I may have sold over 20 rear ends in the last three years. It's a hot commodity.

HTH
Prasad

Seriously you can build the 7.5 and it will be mean.

Several guys at the drag strip here have s-10 trucks and blazers with VERY strong small blocks and 250 shots on em, 2 guys have a 2 stage setup around 350 total.
And running 7.5 with higher count axles and a spool or strong posi unit...some do not even have the girdle rear cover.

I am talking the front tires (both) are toted off the line and these guys are running in the 10's several times weekly.

Just an option plus the 7.5 built will be a bit lighter than the 8.5

turbo nasty said:
Seriously you can build the 7.5 and it will be mean.

Several guys at the drag strip here have s-10 trucks and blazers with VERY strong small blocks and 250 shots on em, 2 guys have a 2 stage setup around 350 total.
And running 7.5 with higher count axles and a spool or strong posi unit...some do not even have the girdle rear cover.

I am talking the front tires (both) are toted off the line and these guys are running in the 10's several times weekly.

Just an option plus the 7.5 built will be a bit lighter than the 8.5

By the time you spent enough money to make a 7.5" that strong..... you could have an 8.5" with some Moser axles.... that is definately strong enough to go 10's.....

I also thought maybe the 86-88? Monte SS had the bigger rear end... and they came with the 3.42's..... unlike the 442 that had 3.73's......

just my 0.02

4th gen Novas were front wheel drive. The rearend in your car wont work in a G-body because Novas used laef springs and the G-body used a trailing arm or 4-link suspension.

Blazer406 said:
By the time you spent enough money to make a 7.5" that strong..... you could have an 8.5" with some Moser axles.... that is definately strong enough to go 10's.....

I also thought maybe the 86-88? Monte SS had the bigger rear end... and they came with the 3.42's..... unlike the 442 that had 3.73's......

just my 0.02
84-88 monte ss's had 7.5 rears, and had 3.73's in em'

the 4th gens were not front wheel drive.You are thinking of the little japanese knock off called the nova.The rear end can be changed over to your set up.

There are no provisions to attach the upper control arms to the nova 8.5". Just like the F-body 8.5" from '72 on up to '81, no way to put upper mounts on without welding to cast iron and making it strong enough.

i remember when that baby nova came out and i said to myself"they have got to be joking right?'this is a nova?