What Number GN do i have???

KMnational

I'm aware that this thread has been done a bunch of times. I'm not looking for a vin decoder, i've already done that, im looking to see if their is any way to tell which number GN mine is out of the 20,193 that came off the assembly line in 1987. The serial number of my car according to the vin is 457838. I dont understand what that means in order of production though because their weren't 457,838 GN's built in 87. Do you drop the first 2 numbers, making mine number 7838/20,193 or what? If you do drop the first 2 numbers, what do they mean? I've tried looking for a body number plate and can't locate it. Thanks and hopefully someone can help me.

Have you tried looking for the production sheet in the drivers door.it has a number to its place in line.

Attachments

• 1424231729133.jpg
    1424231729133.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 415
Have you tried looking for the production sheet in the drivers door.it has a number to its place in line.
Have not looked for it. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "IN" the drivers door. Is it an actual piece of paper in the door card somewhere?

It's taped behind the interior trim panel and the door.it would be behind the latch area,atleast that's where mine was.

I'm aware that this thread has been done a bunch of times. I'm not looking for a vin decoder, i've already done that, im looking to see if their is any way to tell which number GN mine is out of the 20,193 that came off the assembly line in 1987. The serial number of my car according to the vin is 457838. I dont understand what that means in order of production though because their weren't 457,838 GN's built in 87. Do you drop the first 2 numbers, making mine number 7838/20,193 or what? If you do drop the first 2 numbers, what do they mean? I've tried looking for a body number plate and can't locate it. Thanks and hopefully someone can help me.
I believe the last GN is 465288. Based on this, they made 7,450 after yours.

The 4 can be thought of as a 0 in the sequence of the VIN. It reaffirms that it is a Buick. If over a 100000 Regals had been produced, the last 6 numbers in the VIN would be 500001 or the 100001st Buick of the year.

The 57838 indicates that it was the 57838th Buick Regal produced in that model year. It includes all 3.8 V6s, 307 V8s, 305 V8s (for Canada) and 3.8 Turbo V6s. Limiteds, Ts, GNs and Base Regals are all included too.

However it doesn't mean that the cars all rolled off the line in sequence. VINs are not necessarily sequential, they are created once the plant computer spits them out and are assigned to a vehicle. Production of the Regal stopped around 55000ish cars in July of 87. In August production continued and roughly another 10000 Regals were produce all with the WE2 (Grand National) RPO code. Your car would fall into the first couple of thousand of the last 10000 or so produced. If you look on the drivers door, there should be a sticker with the matching VIN and a production date (should be around 09/87, guessing from your VIN).

Without having the plant production records there is no way to determine exactly when in the sequence of production which GN out of the 20 193 yours is.

The 4 can be thought of as a 0 in the sequence of the VIN. It reaffirms that it is a Buick. If over a 100000 Regals had been produced, the last 6 numbers in the VIN would be 500001 or the 100001st Buick of the year.

The 57838 indicates that it was the 57838th Buick Regal produced in that model year. It includes all 3.8 V6s, 307 V8s, 305 V8s (for Canada) and 3.8 Turbo V6s. Limiteds, Ts, GNs and Base Regals are all included too.

However it doesn't mean that the cars all rolled off the line in sequence. VINs are not necessarily sequential, they are created once the plant computer spits them out and are assigned to a vehicle. Production of the Regal stopped around 55000ish cars in July of 87. In August production continued and roughly another 10000 Regals were produce all with the WE2 (Grand National) RPO code. Your car would fall into the first couple of thousand of the last 10000 or so produced. If you look on the drivers door, there should be a sticker with the matching VIN and a production date (should be around 09/87, guessing from your VIN).

Without having the plant production records there is no way to determine exactly when in the sequence of production which GN out of the 20 193 yours is.
Thank you for the good info! I have located that sticker on the door and sadly it is extremely faded and can't be read at all. Thank you for the help tho!