What is up with GNX #234

Motleyzo6

It's on eBay now, from what I can find which is not much the car has a bad history, anyone know history or what the real deal is with this car? I was gonna bid $38k cause it seems that's all it's worth to me. Any info on 234 would be great, thanks

Here's the eBay info in that link, they will delete it soon;

"You are bidding on a Buick GNX, this is #234 of only 547 produced. This Buick was originally purchased in June of 1988 by the current and only owner, the title will show two owners as it was transferred from his company to himself after he retired. Please look over all pictures carefully and come see the car or hire an independant evaluator to verify condition of the vehicle prior to placing ANY BIDS!

This is a driver quality GNX and the reserve is set accordingly, it is not your 10 original mile,bagged in plastic museum vehicle this car has been enjoyed for 25 years and driven. Please dont contact me to tell me this or that is not correct, I will respond to inquiries from potential buyers, not GNX history buffs or experts! I dont own the vehicle, I am selling it for a friend. All sales are final and the car leaves AS IS with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied. Now that we have that out of the way....

Body: The body is extremely straight, never any rust. The car has been painted professionally for several years, was disassembled and stripped to bare metal and refinished with urethane base/clear. There is a small scratch on the front bumper and front filler, there is also a scratch on the rear bumper and the rear fillers need to be replaced.

Interior: There is absolutely no wear on any of the seats, the dash is not cracked and the carpet is not worn anywhere, the horn ring has been replaced and it has the wrong emblem in the center.

Drivetrain: The engine was removed and completely freshened by a local machine shop/engine builder, wrapped in plastic and stored until recently, During this time another high performance engine was installed and the vehicle was driven very little. The original numbers matching engine has now been reinstalled and has ZERO miles on it. The trans shifts firm and positive with no delay and the rear end is quiet. The front suspension is tight, tires and brakes are good.

Misc: The original ceramic turbo has been replaced by a stock Grand National unit, it was removed over 20 years ago to prevent and damage or destruction common with the ceramic impeller. This factory low mileage, original GNX turbo is included with the sale. The car drives nice and tight with no wind noise or rattles. The owner does not have the GNX jacket, owners packet, etc...

PLEASE VIEW ALL PICTURES CAREFULLY, I WILL DO MY BEST TO ACCURATELY ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS!"

I guess in a nutshell is it a beat down TURD or a good car, figured someone here would know more history on #234

I've seen it in person at Harrisburg Mecum , did not sell @ 53k ,trust me , he wants more than $38k . It is on multiple websites for sale @ $72,995 , and just dropped to $69,999 .No chance !!!!!He has put in one ebay a bunch of times with reserve ,now is without.Is it really going to fly with no reserve ??????
Per his description ,highly recommend going to see it in person .IMO ,it is still only a 35k-40k GNX .

Also from his feedback he sells at no reserve and if price is not enough he lies and says car sold locally. So really he's making a bad name for himself which in turn will tarnish him and the car

I've seen it in person at Harrisburg Mecum , did not sell @ 53k ,trust me , he wants more than $38k . It is on multiple websites for sale @ $72,995 , and just dropped to $69,999 .No chance !!!!!He has put in one ebay a bunch of times with reserve ,now is without.Is it really going to fly with no reserve ??????
Per his description ,highly recommend going to see it in person .IMO ,it is still only a 35k-40k GNX .
I agree, it's a 40k car at best, and with not a great history he would have a tough time trying to get more than 40k, could it go up in value in the future if someone goes through it and gets it back up to par maybe a little but I doubt it, it's a 40k car you can drive everyday and prob still be able to sell it for 40k after a few years of owning.

I wouldn't buy that car...shady history...plus everything else that's wrong with it which seem weird....I sent the guy a msg on ebay during one of his 10 attempts to sell it, telling him the horn ring was wrong(which it still is) and that the seats were missing the guides for the seat belts(which he still hasn't fixed)

I wouldn't buy that car...shady history...plus everything else that's wrong with it which seem weird....I sent the guy a msg on ebay during one of his 10 attempts to sell it, telling him the horn ring was wrong(which it still is) and that the seats were missing the guides for the seat belts(which he still hasn't fixed)
i sent him a message as well, does have a mileage discrepancy which he says he has documents for that as it was a typo, i am considering putting in a bid and see what happens, i think getting the car in the right hands then start to sort it out, only bad thing is the history is shady, is this car doomed for ever? should i bid? what do you guys think? i like it at the right price but will #234 be tainted for life?

With the miles and bad history I don't see it climbing in value in our lifetime.

With the miles and bad history I don't see it climbing in value in our lifetime.

I was about to say the same thing....part of the price with these cars is the fact they're so well documented and low mileage on most of them. I would also add most are all original and not missing seatbelt guides or floor mats or the horn button to name a few things that I saw missing from this one.

Wow, You guys are harsh. As these cars get older things will happen to them and they will "need" things. Not every GNX is a 9 mile time capsule and for someone looking to pickup a car to drive it's nice that they are looking at cars like this. As the values on the cars continue to rise we will be seeing more and more clones come to market. The fact that this is a real GNX speaks volumes. Look at the 60's big block Mopars and Chevys. The people buying them do not care that the cars have been fully ripped apart and made better then new...they do care about the car being an ORIGINAL big block, etc. I am not saying his asking price is inline for the value but I am saying that lets keep in mind that not every car is perfect.

The car was at Anderson Performance in MD for a while. From what I remember he rebuilt the engine and got the car running well. He also did some cleanup work. He then sold the car to a local TB.com member who had plans to drive it. In the process the dealership that currently has the car listed made him an offer he couldn't refuse so he sold it to them. The owner of LRA enterprises has a very impressive collection of super rare Chevelles and Camaros. My GNX along with some of his cars were displayed in the Simeone Museum a few years ago as part of there Muscle Car Display.(pic below) Odds are this is a car that he added to the collection and in the process if he can make a buck who can blame him.

MotleyZ06- We are spoiled rotten by low mile garage queens and some might be afraid of this car because it has been driven. As an owner of a GNX with 30K+ miles I can tell you that being able to buy and actually drive one of these cars is outstanding. I am not sure if they are willing to sell the car at the pricepoint some have offered but if this isn't the one for you I hope you end up with one!

Attachments

• photo(8).JPG
    photo(8).JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 292
Wow, You guys are harsh. As these cars get older things will happen to them and they will "need" things. Not every GNX is a 9 mile time capsule and for someone looking to pickup a car to drive it's nice that they are looking at cars like this. As the values on the cars continue to rise we will be seeing more and more clones come to market. The fact that this is a real GNX speaks volumes. Look at the 60's big block Mopars and Chevys. The people buying them do not care that the cars have been fully ripped apart and made better then new...they do care about the car being an ORIGINAL big block, etc. I am not saying his asking price is inline for the value but I am saying that lets keep in mind that not every car is perfect.

The car was at Anderson Performance in MD for a while. From what I remember he rebuilt the engine and got the car running well. He also did some cleanup work. He then sold the car to a local TB.com member who had plans to drive it. In the process the dealership that currently has the car listed made him an offer he couldn't refuse so he sold it to them. The owner of LRA enterprises has a very impressive collection of super rare Chevelles and Camaros. My GNX along with some of his cars were displayed in the Simeone Museum a few years ago as part of there Muscle Car Display.(pic below) Odds are this is a car that he added to the collection and in the process if he can make a buck who can blame him.

MotleyZ06- We are spoiled rotten by low mile garage queens and some might be afraid of this car because it has been driven. As an owner of a GNX with 30K+ miles I can tell you that being able to buy and actually drive one of these cars is outstanding. I am not sure if they are willing to sell the car at the pricepoint some have offered but if this isn't the one for you I hope you end up with one!
Very well said, a car's history can have a big impact on values but at the same time it is a real GNX and will either stay at a certian value or continue to climb in value, I wonder if the car is tweaked at all after having a race motor in it for a while, that's a concern I have, ok well we will see what happens.

I agree with turboregal84- these are 27 yr old cars,
horn ring/ seat belt hook, if that keeps you from buying a GNX, then I doubt you will ever own one.
and as far as parking it/ never driving it, why? enjoy the car, and show it off,
I doubt anything under $50K will get this (234) car, you can knock it all you want, but money talks, and BS walks.
and wishing you could buy it at 39k.......... dreaming!
alot of GNX have had rough histories, and have lived , and gone on to be sold/ maintained, and shown.
hope you find a GNX someday, enjoy it!

I think so many guys are looking for a bargain Gnx, with all the right parts paperwork paint etc.
The items that are wrong with the car can be easily corrected, in time the cars history will be washed and the FACT that will remain is the car is a real Gnx and will always be
Time will wash away the cars race history, the minor inperfections etc
Buying it at the right price is the question . 38k isn't goign to happen. I would say closer to 50k will hey the deal done
Just remember all these rare cars that were wrecked, stolen , hacked.
Mopars Chevys fords and even buicks
Remember the hardest part is finding to own
Just own it and the rest will follow

well it sold for $42,200 i was the high bidder at $42,100 so you could say i lost it for $100 but the question is was the high bidder one of their "people" driving up the bids? if it ends back up on ebay then you know they chickened out at $42,200, and they are known for doing that so my guess is the car will be back on ebay, and i agree with gnxparts, sort out the little things and time will bring back a true collector car, that was my plan but i was dead set on not going a penny higher, and i lost out.. oh well wasn't meant to be then, unless of course its relisted again..

They may as well frame it and mount it.

Word is out and they'll never get what they want for it.

D

I think it is funny they mention "only one repaint". Once it isn't original paint, who cares how many times it has been painted? Not that I have the money, or anything like that, but if I did, I woulsnt be dropping it on a repainted, engine been rebuilt, who knows what else GnX at that price.
It is only original once. Plenty out there that are still original. I.guess a few more years it might get there, but as is said, "there's a butt for every seat".

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You guys are bugging
If you had the chance to own it
At a fair price you guys would jump on it

repaint ?
Most Gn were repainted to the crappy paint job

The story of Gnx 234 has been beaten to death.

It's a real car, not all Gnx are museum pieces