What is the best Header Gasket??

qws2000

I seem to blow out the gasket at High RPM and Boost.... I just tried Remflex .. and lasted one pass.. Any seg

Must have tightened it too much. Have had the same set on my car for about 5 years now. Plenty of boost thrown at them.

How are the header flanges ?? Nice and flat ? Is it the same spot all the time ?

Too much exhaust pressure. The gaskets have worked on some cars but apparently install needs to be perfect. There is a reason they didn't have them at the factory unlike most other cars at the time. Exhaust pressure can be 3 times what your boost pressure is. Get the header surfaces flat and bolt them on without a gasket and check them for tightness after a few heat cycles and maybe once per year after that until they stay tight. They won't leak then unless they crack.

Al, clean and degrease he the hell out of both sides. But a thin even smear or orange RTV on the exhaust ports and the header flanges. About 1/32" thick should do it. Give the parts about 5 minutes to 'skin over' while you drink a beer. Then CAREFULLY set the headers in place and get a couple bolts started. The trick is to avoid banging a 'dent' or cutting the RTV. Once the bolts are started, evenly tighten them all about double that of finger tight so the headers can find their happy place. Then drink another beer.

After that beers gone, tighten them down. Give the RTV time to get to know each other and the mating surfaces while getting rid of beers #3, Then torque them.

I like to let them set overnight, but I can't say if that helps because I've always let them sit overnight. I've had 100% success with that method.

Earl.....I don't drink beer ....is rum OK ?? .... if so what beer to rum ratio should I use ??

I seem to blow out the gasket at High RPM and Boost.... I just tried Remflex .. and lasted one pass.. Any seg

How fast are you going and how much boost are you making? I have the Remflex on my car and so far they have been really good but I've only thrown 22psi on them for a very short period. Of course the secret is to not bottom them out.

I have had good luck with orange RTV minus all the beer drinking procedures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the copper header gaskets with out any RTV or anything else and have had them on and off a couple times and have had no problems or leaks.

I also use a copper gasket from header to turbo with same results and have reused that one many times before it finally deformed enough for me to have to replace it.

If you have warped flanges then theoretically the remflex are supposed to take care of that problem, but maybe yours are severely warped.

We all use Felpro 1400's here and not one failure even at many 26 to 28 lbs. of boost passes and your flanges don't even have to be that flat. I always super glue them in about 6 spots to the manifold that way they are perfectly lined up when put back on the head.

i tried them stupid expensive gaskets, fel-pro and rtv
RTV for me from now on.
A very knowledgeable Buick guy told me
If RTV or Nothing leaks it will be minimum VS the gap a blown out gasket will leave.

Hi-Temp RTV full cure time is 24 hours. Really depends on Temp/Humidity. Just make sure you leave it on over night.

There is lots of good info here, but is obvious many differing opinions based upon a specific application from various owners, and most all of them are correct. :)

So my point is there are MANY variables, and the question should be "what is the best exhaust gasket, if any, for my build"?

Heads may be aluminum or iron, headers can be stock or aftermarket which have various flanges, fasteners can be stock bolts which hold very well, studs and nuts, or specialized bolts, and then many different gaskets, so application needs to be considered as it is very important to use the proper parts to maintain a long-lasting seal, and be repeatable.

All these items factor into how well the seal will be, and how long will they stay sealed.

What is "best" in my application, may not be "best" in others. ;)

orange rtv with no gaskets on ta headers.havent been off since,and I wont even get into how much boost I run and how many gaskets I went through playing around trying to make it work..make sure the flange is true and cleaned.

Thanks for everyone's input... I will try to answer many questions.. Never had any issue with header gaskets before, In the last six months the car has really turned the page... The car is running real well, and I have been pushing it boost say 28psi, Rpms 6200, with Iron Heads... I got Remflex from Mark @TR Custom Parts.. I followed instructions from Earl and Wham it worked... no leak... Thanks Guys