What is the best dual fans for a front mount?

I agree with twin turbo. If you have twin fans working properly, cruising down the road at 65 your temps should not be anywhere near 190-200 degrees, except maybe last month in arizona with Nick. Sitting at a light should not make your engine go up to 200 degrees. You have some other problems. The fans need to be encased properly also for just one thing. There are many ways to get cooler temps, Nick told me always run water in summer,i had always run full throttle anti freeze. Then there is always the additives, better radiators, distilled water, ect. My car only gets a little hot when i pour on the boost, once i stop and drive normal it goes down to 165-170 cruising down the road.

Whats the reason behind running straight water in the summer time?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Im really not sure i was talking to Nick about a few things and temps came up, he is in arizona so i figured he new more about hot than me. To tell the truth my car wasnt hot with anti freeze either but i think plain water is better for engine parts all around than all the crap in the anti freeze.

water transfers and dissipates heat better than coolant/antifreeze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really need a good clean radiator that works properly and a,set of fans if you have front mount like i do. A shroud if you have more stock set up and you should be fine. I know you can also shroud the front mounts, i just never got around to doing it properly.

Water doesn't eat engine bearings. If you blow a head gasket and end up with antifreeze in your oil it will damage your bearings. I use water and RM-125. The water pump needs some form of lubrication. The intrepid fans have worked well for me and they were a quarter the price of the other fan setups that were available when I bought them. I'm sure there are better fan systems out there but they were a lot more money for about the same cfm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's an opinionated thread just like "what's the best oil to run".

Ok, so what is the best oil to run in your fan motors?
Maybe I should run a lower viscosity so my fans are not so slow and sluggish.
Is this where that 10w30 know oil is best used? :smug::banghead:

Sorry fellas, I just couldn't help myself.

On a more serious note, the Intrepid fans have worked well for me. It has been mentioned previously, but it's important to know that highway speeds negate your fan(s). You're pushing your car through air that is (mostly) trying to stay in one place, this will produce more cool air across your radiator fins than your fans will. If you're heating up at idle/ stop & go.... look at your fans, if you're heating up on the highway, look at your radiator or other issues. I have a huge Turbonetics front mount and a cheap f-body radiator that does it's job, but it could be better. Stop and go traffic in 100* heat will typically yield 185* coolant temps, but if I take a trip on the highway in the same heat, it'll climb to 198*, it has yet to hit 200*, according to the scanmaster, and it's always set on coolant temp while on the highway. I assume that the higher temps during faster speeds are caused by... A: so-so radiator, and... B: my non lockup converter that will keep the rpm's a bit on the high side, especially when pulling hills. Just a guess, though. I'm not worried about my temps where they are, so I have no desire to dig into it.

Man, I hate threads like this. I went out and brought some intrepid fans because I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread...now reading this thread, they squeak, burn out, are intermittent. What's is next...lol.

The issue with most dual fans is the wiring.

I have installed many Intrepid fans, and they worked well.

We use a Casper's dual relay harness with USA grade wires.

Wiring on many of the off-shore brands have crap wiring and distribution which burns up fan motors because of low voltage, especially if the stock wiring harness is used to supply power/ground to the fans.

Seeing the doubt on my comment of the ramchargers fans dying. To elaborate further.....The original "Ramcharger" fans where the whole intrepid fan use started. There was a huge lot that popped up of these fans...and many scooped them up as Ramchargers resold them. There was a reason Chrysler tossed them. If you have those fans from that lot (Many still in use) then they are the ones to worry with. Quick test is to spin (quickly) the fan with your finger and a if it has a slight squeak to it as it slows...its dying. Last four I replaced owner never knew they were dying. Commonly you may not hear it squeaking with hood closed/in car/etc. Even with Proper wiring and Hotwire

Had Intrepid fans on my car a few years back with a Racetronix harness. Had two of them burn up motors before I said hell with it and went to the Alradco setup with dual Spal fans. Haven't had a single issue since.

Last edited:
Have Intreped fans from Rockauto with the harness from Kirbans. My '87 never goes over 200.Located in Fl.

Ran the dual intrepids for a long while.. never had an issue when coupled with good wiring.. some cars have marginal wiring from the start.

My GN never goes above 185

Probably seen 20 dual fan intrepid setups.. no issues with newer fans

Last edited:
Even if there was an issue with them, take a trip to the local pull a part, get some exercise and snatch a new pair for $30 and ride again. Still cheaper than alotta setups

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Just installed a set of the Jegs fans this weekend on a GN with a Large FMIC and alum radiator. This car had that dual intrepid/ramchargers fans that the motors were starting to squeak (like they all do). These fans pull 3100 cfm and work great.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/52118/10002/-1
These are the same fans I'm runing . You can't beat the price and they do flow a lot of air. Make sure you box in your radiator or else air will just leak out the sides

I made my own shroud with the Spal fans also running RJC front mount with no fitment issues.. 20150816_155447.jpg 20150816_155527.jpg 20150816_155817.jpg