What happens when you hit a sharp rock with a drag radial

Pronto

Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see.
The weather was beautiful yesterday so I decided to go for a nice cruise. While on a 50 mph 2 lane road I ran over a small sharp rock. I heard a thud and looked in my rearview to see the rock go rolling to the edge of the road. After a few moments I started to hear a howl and felt the car leaning. By the time I could pull over to the break down lane I was smelling rubber. This is what I found.
20190425_145307.jpg

Callled AAA and got towed home. Got the tire off to see the damage.
20190425_172719.jpg

Turned the tire around and found this from riding on the flat tire until I could pull over.
20190425_172728.jpg

Can't complain too much. Had the tires for several years and was going to replace them this year anyway. Luckily the rim is ok. So without any sidewall belting they just collapse on the rim for those that ever were curious.:oops:

OOOH ill have to be careful what brand tire, I have nitto on my rears right now

Those are Mickey Thompsons. I've used drag radials for 15 years on the street. This is my first issue with them. A normal street tire with steel belts and thickness might have been able to absorb hitting the rock.

The weather was beautiful yesterday so I decided to go for a nice cruise. While on a 50 mph 2 lane road I ran over a small sharp rock. I heard a thud and looked in my rearview to see the rock go rolling to the edge of the road. After a few moments I started to hear a howl and felt the car leaning. By the time I could pull over to the break down lane I was smelling rubber. This is what I found.
View attachment 340016
View attachment 340017
Turned the tire around and found this from riding on the flat tire until I could pull over.
View attachment 340018
Can't complain too much. Had the tires for several years and was going to replace them this year anyway. Luckily the rim is ok. So without any sidewall belting they just collapse on the rim for those that ever were curious.:oops:
Damn...that really blows! Amazing what a small rock can do a drag radial.

mife wife ran over a piece of deer antler once. tire shop in that area said it wasnt that uncommon. first time i had heared of it.

The rock made the puncture, which caused all the air to eventually leak out(my guess really quickly, based on the size of that puncture). Your speed, the distance you traveled, and the edge of the wheel rotating repeatedly over the sidewall is why it got sliced and separated. It's not uncommon at all to see a tire completely shredded from a small puncture or leak.

By the way, be extra careful with steel belted tires. I see tons of body damage, mainly huge wheel well scratches from them be driven on, slapping the car. Seen them tear up fenders liners, wreck electronics that are housed within those fender liners, even blowout air suspension. Almost forgot, also take out brake lines. Never a good idea to drive on a flat tire longer than necessary, but always find a place of safety before pulling over.

Last edited:
The rock made the puncture, which caused all the air to eventually leak out(my guess really quickly, based on the size of that puncture). Your speed, the distance you traveled, and the edge of the wheel rotating repeatedly over the sidewall is why it got sliced and separated. It's not uncommon at all to see a tire completely shredded from a small puncture or leak.

By the way, be extra careful with steel belted tires. I see tons of body damage, mainly huge wheel well scratches from them be driven on, slapping the car. Seen them tear up fenders liners, wreck electronics that are housed within those fender liners, even blowout air suspension. Almost forgot, also take out brake lines. Never a good idea to drive on a flat tire longer than necessary, but always find a place of safety before pulling over.
this is a great statement^^^

Well, the rim is bent. I either have to have it repaired or buy a new one. Boo.

About 10 years ago, I had a tire sling apart on my daily beater. It wasn't without warning though. It was ruptured and I ignored it. Just thought maybe I could get it home.

I was on the highway about 15 miles from home and it ripped out my rear brake line. I ended up beating the brake line flat with a hammer and folding it over and again beating it with a hammer. Put on the spare tire , topped of the brake fluid with some trans fluid I had in the trunk, and drove it home using the e-brake to assist. It was a total butcher cluster-f*ck situation. But it got me home alive and without spending 300 dollars for a tow.

I didn't even try to un-do what I did. Next time I drove it, I took it strait to the junk yard.

Obviously, my Buick's maintenance issues are attended to with a little more concern.

I feel your pain hit a pot hole going to Lebanon valley Dragway Buick day last year pinched sidewall on to rim , rim ok tire junk!

Attachments

• 1C2F1BBA-A34A-45F6-ADA2-67BD1FA197C7.jpeg
    1C2F1BBA-A34A-45F6-ADA2-67BD1FA197C7.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 55
AAA is well worth the 179 dollars a year for roadside assistance and free towing up to 100 miles
especially when you own a classic/race " who knows whats gonna go next " CAR

AAA is well worth the 179 dollars a year for roadside assistance and free towing up to 100 miles
especially when you own a classic/race " who knows whats gonna go next " CAR
In the past, AAA's towing sub-contractors let me down time and time again. I waited 5 hours for a tow once. Another time, they weren't able to get me a tow at all. And another time, I remember something like having to pay the driver and then putting in for a reimbursement and then never getting paid. It was a long time ago (in the 90's) and I no longer can recall the details. But basically.......F^ck them!

I'll save the membership.......and pay for the tow. :cool:

they have been great here for me never waited more than an hour , had my truck and boat towed back to house 4 hours away one time , no charge , guess its the service in the area IDKN

The guy I had tow me was very friendly and wanted to know all about the T. He was searching for a father/son project car. I told him about a local car show that people sometimes put for sale signs on their cars. Some are actually a good buy.

View attachment 340016
View attachment 340017
View attachment 340018
Just curious if those tires hook up on the street, I was thinking about putting a set on my driver

They are better than regular street tires but on cold untreated pavement they don't dead hook. Obviously you don't run 18psi on the street either...
They aren't that bad surprisingly for handling if inflated to 32.

They are better than regular street tires but on cold untreated pavement they don't dead hook. Obviously you don't run 18psi on the street either...
They aren't that bad surprisingly for handling if inflated to 32.
How much power are you making