What gains from 42# injectors with factory turbo.

Cliff

I have an 87 Turbo T with K&N cone filter, adjustable FP regulator, Racetronix 255 LPH pump with Hotwire kit, TT chip, 3" DP with test pipe and the rest of the car is stock including the IC and turbo...... I just got a great deal on 42# injectors and I know I have to send my chip back to TT so it can be updated to run with the 42# injectors. My question is what gains would i get from upgrading the injectors? Can I run more timing??? More boost?? Just want to make sure it's worth my while doing the injector swap and chip.

y question is what gains would i get from upgrading the injectors? Can I run more timing??? More boost??
With the bigger injector you will be able to provide more volume of fuel to the motor but octane is what's needed to run more boost/timing.now add octane and give the motor more fuel with boost and you will gain alot.

I have an 87 Turbo T with K&N cone filter, adjustable FP regulator, Racetronix 255 LPH pump with Hotwire kit, TT chip, 3" DP with test pipe and the rest of the car is stock including the IC and turbo...... I just got a great deal on 42# injectors and I know I have to send my chip back to TT so it can be updated to run with the 42# injectors. My question is what gains would i get from upgrading the injectors? Can I run more timing??? More boost?? Just want to make sure it's worth my while doing the injector swap and chip.

The stock PUmp is the first hold up ... which you have replaced ( also Its excellent that you have put in a Hotwire kit ) .. DONE !
The stock Chip is garbage .. you have a TT , send it in and update it for the 42's .. DONE !
The stock injectors are the next hold up .. which you are replacing ( 42's are good for very high 10's on race fuel) .. DONE !
The stock Turbo is done at bottom 12's .. if you want to go faster you will need an upgrade here..
The stock Valve springs are junk if they are the original set .. you will want to replace these..

With the bigger injector you will be able to provide more volume of fuel to the motor but octane is what's needed to run more boost/timing.now add octane and give the motor more fuel with boost and you will gain alot.
I already run only 93 octane which is what the TT chip is setup for. Eventually I will upgrade the stock turbo.

Eventually I will upgrade the stock turbo.
Upgrade the trans first.before you get aggressive with the turbo and tune put a shift kit and trans cooler in.the stock turbo can easily take out the stock trans with a good tire on the back.

Upgrade the trans first.before you get aggressive with the turbo and tune put a shift kit and trans cooler in.the stock turbo can easily take out the stock trans with a good tire on the back.
It has an external trans cooler and may have a shift kit. I never driven another TR but this car spins 2nd gear.....it may have a shift kit already. No way for me to find out unless I drive a stock trans car or open up the valve body to see if anything was done.

I already run only 93 octane which is what the TT chip is setup for. Eventually I will upgrade the stock turbo.
I was running mid to high 13s on pump gas then I decided to try out an old 110 race chip I had laying around and a little more boost. my et dropped to a 12.90 and that was with a terrible 1.96 60 ft. Octane is king! These cars are different animals with some good fuel.

Imo id skip right over the 42's and go to 60s if the budget permits..
idle quality is 100% better.

Let me know how this goes. My car has had the exact things done to it you have listed. Injectors are next on my list and was wondering whether to go with 42s or 60s and send my chip back to TT. My car drives great but does not break the tires loose when shifts to 2nd.

If you are still running the stock injectors I would jump in with the 42lb ones. That is what I did as I don't have the budget for new 60s. I think mine runs better. Also running a tt chip, hot wired dw200 pump and stock turbo/intercooler. No track times yet for me but it used to go 13 ohs at 105 with traction way back when.
I've seen 11.70s with a stock turbo. Though a big front mount , good traction and skinny fronts sure helped whittle the time down.

Replace your vacuum lines while you are under the hood if you haven't. Those things cause headaches if they are old and leaky.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

If you have the budget the 60s are a better option. They can flow more and are new. Saves the less expensive used stuff for the broke d/cks like me. Haha.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

For the record I went 12.97 on 93 octane with stock turbo/IC etc with 42s on a good night. On street tires. It can be done.

I ran 11.98@112 on a set of green top 42's with a TA49 turbo, stock intercooler, and modified chip with 22 lbs. boost. When I put 60's in with a matching chip and the same boost I gained nothing. Street throttle response was actually better with the 42's. For your combo I would go with the 42's. When you go with ported heads and bigger turbo then I would upgrade with 60's.

I ran 11.98@112 on a set of green top 42's with a TA49 turbo, stock intercooler, and modified chip with 22 lbs. boost. When I put 60's in with a matching chip and the same boost I gained nothing. Street throttle response was actually better with the 42's. For your combo I would go with the 42's. When you go with ported heads and bigger turbo then I would upgrade with 60's.

Something was off with your 60's ..

nothing wrong with 42's .. Lucas makes a great injector.. and Eric has them dialed in with his chips..
but the current design 60's and 80's will give slight gains in response ..

the 009's are a good injector no question.. but the new stuff is just better