What exactly needs to be done for ls1 brakes?

nonova0074

Ok so i have been going over the brake setup for hours. the rears seem pretty straight forward. I am going to be on a quest to locate the parts. My question is up front, i need to modify the spindel? Are there spindels allready pre modded or what? And i would also just need the caliper bracket also. Please guide me in the right direction
Rob

Oh yeah if anyone sells a kit or modded spindles please either post or pm thanks again. Also I am going to have a set of cw's made up is there any differance in b.s.

Note: use the existing Regal brake hoses or replace with stainless lines for Regal.

The caliper bracket must fit flush on modified spindle, so of course, to accomplish this, some grinding is necessary.

The fronts have less steps than converting the rears.

I noticed there are kit with everything but spindles. Is anyone modifying and selling stock or drop spindles?

I presume you mean caliper pictured several posts back ... 98-02 Camaro/Firebird

Attachments

• Picture 226.jpg
    Picture 226.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 456
I presume you mean caliper pictured several posts back ... 98-02 Camaro/Firebird

yes thats what i meant. how much better are they vs stock? so do you guys buy the brkts and hubs and rotors new ,and find used calipers? will they work with GTA rims?

red regal: can i just order the brackets from them and have my spindles modded by flynbye? Cause I want to use my own calipers, rotors and pads.

yes thats what i meant. how much better are they vs stock? so do you guys buy the brkts and hubs and rotors new ,and find used calipers? will they work with GTA rims?

I used the junkyard front rotors on both my installations, but junk being what it is, I had to buy the rears both times. :biggrin: Yes, buy the brackets, and I think the easiest way to go is to also buy the machined rotors. They come anodised with the extra length 2" studs already installed. The hubs come without new races installed but no bearings, but you can use your existing bearings from your TR rotors unless you must have new. If you can find a 98 thru 02 Camaro in a u-pull-it yard near you, you can get everything you need. That's what I did. Can't say for sure they will work with TTAs, but I think they will. 16" should be enough. And as far as stopping, they are much more substantial than the stock brakes. My pedal on the GN stops with authority pushing down only about an inch. They're awesome. IMO, there really is no comparison to the stockers.

red regal: can i just order the brackets from them and have my spindles modded by flynbye? Cause I want to use my own calipers, rotors and pads.

Seems to me, they'll sell you modified spindles and expect a re-usable core. Maybe they'll do yours. I don't know their procedures, but I do know they seem to be working on the edge keeping up with their orders. Took me about a month to get my first set of machined hubs, while it only took a week and a half the second time around. However, both of my small orders were great quality.

I used the junkyard front rotors on both my installations, but junk being what it is, I had to buy the rears both times. :biggrin: Yes, buy the brackets, and I think the easiest way to go is to also buy the machined rotors. They come anodised with the extra length 2" studs already installed. The hubs come without new races installed but no bearings, but you can use your existing bearings from your TR rotors unless you must have new. If you can find a 98 thru 02 Camaro in a u-pull-it yard near you, you can get everything you need. That's what I did. Can't say for sure they will work with TTAs, but I think they will. 16" should be enough. And as far as stopping, they are much more substantial than the stock brakes. My pedal on the GN stops with authority pushing down only about an inch. They're awesome. IMO, there really is no comparison to the stockers.

thanks for the info

Oh, and I should point out that while there's nothing wrong with spending $2500 for after market brakes if you have money to burn, it's much more an accomplishment to do basically the same thing .... install 12" disc brakes all the way around for under $500. ;)

How do the LS1 vs Blazer brakes compare? Any one know if there is a big differance between LS1 and Blazer. A quick glance they seem to be similar size rotors and 2 piston calipers. Blazer seem to have the edge on ease of install. But are the LS1's noticeable better?

I'm sure the Blazer brakes work fine, but they are 11" rotors compared to LS1 which has 12" rotors. For sure I'm impressed with my LS-1 brakes stopping performance over the stockers.

+

Hey Red do you mind listing what is needed for the swap - i have several local junk yards i can pull the stuff from ..
thanks

From the j/y for the fronts, you need the LS1 caliper, LS1 caliper bracket, and rotors, remembering that new rotors only cost about $45 each. You don't need the Camaro brake hoses, but you do need the banjo bolts. You can get your TR hubs machined, or buy hubs ready to go with longer studs already installed from Flynbye Performance LLC along with adapter brackets you will need to bolt the LS1 caliper assembly to the modified Regal spindle as pictured above.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-suspensions-tires-wheels/172762-ls1-brake-mod.html

For the rear, you'll need the calipers, brackets, & hoses and you'll also need the Camaro backing plate assembly which includes the e-brake shoes and the bracket the Caliper assembly bolts to. Keep the fasteners that retain the backing plate assembly to the axle flange, in fact save all bolts you may think you need for re-assembly.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/br...wheels/206369-ls1-f-body-rear-brake-swap.html

at turbo-buicks
LS1 Rear Disc Brakes: My Take On 'Em. - TurboBuicks.com