what engine do i have??

fierofreak88

well the guy i bought the car from told me its a ln3 but by the intake it looks like a lg3 could someone please help me without looking for numbers on the engine. it sits in a 86 fiero gt which i hope to boost and make about 400 hp well maybe 325-50 i dont need to kill myself in such a light car:tongue:. also if its a
lg3 does it mean that i can use gn motor parts because thats what ive heard.

http://img405.imageshack.us/i/p00438.jpg/

Um.....try the Pontiac forum. Unless Buick made a spontaneously combusting casket I am not aware of.

Um.....try the Pontiac forum. Unless Buick made a spontaneously combusting casket I am not aware of.

Now that's just mean...:cool:

I believe you have the LG3 with the FWD 3.0/3.8 heads and the LN3 had the 4 bolt perimeter style valve covers,like the series 1 3800 engines.

But I'm not an expert by any stretch. Try the 3800 supercharged section here

Now that's just mean...:cool:

I believe you have the LG3 with the FWD 3.0/3.8 heads and the LN3 had the 4 bolt perimeter style valve covers,like the series 1 3800 engines.

But I'm not an expert by any stretch.

Oh wait....the sklark turbo. My bad :biggrin:

I figured someone on here would know what he was asking.

It is hard to tell, but it looks like you have either a LG2 (flat tappet cam) or LG3 (roller tappet). It might also be a LN7 3.0 from a Skylark or Lesabre.

The LG2 and LG3 share commonality with the LC2 turbo engine. They used the same ECM and same ignition systems. Good engines that can easily withstand a turbocharger or blower. Your limiting factor will be the transaxle. That much HP in a small mid engine car ought to be fun!

All LG2, LG3 and LN7 engines all had center-bolt valve covers......very hard to distinguish between the three. The pre 1986 FWD 3.8 had 4 bolt VC's and 1988 and later 3800 engines had perimeter VC bolts.

Dave

so its not an ln3 that good news, when i changed my oil i noticed two enitials on the block which ive heard that means it will accept roller tappets or something like that, its a 3.8 too

if you've 2 initials on the block, if they are RL, then you have a 1986 or newer LG3 block; as for intake and heads, im still waiting on ImageShack to load...
if it looks anything like these
LG3, 1988 Olds
DSCN2249.jpg

LN3; in a Buick Regal
DSCN2237.jpg

or this, flat tappet 3.8 with distributor drive
DSCN2212.jpg

theres also the possibility of a sort of hybrid build using the 3.0/3.8 metal valve covers and heads, LG3 block, LG3 intake/SFI intake, etc.

oh yeah what transmission are you planning on? by the way the Ciera/Century/Celebrity/6000 AND the dustbuster vans (U-body) will have mostly compatible engine cradles and stuff should be easy to arrange...

oh yeah you have the LG3 engine for sure. the LN7 3.0 MPFI engine has a different intake manifold, at least the ones in the Grand Ams i've seen....

you would need the cam to be for a roller lifter engine, probably a gerotor oil pump drive; not the older oil gear system...depending on the year the LG3 came in....for a turbo build, do a search on the Hybrid section for SFI Turbo Century or SFI 3.8 build; member's name is turbokinetic; he's built 2 LG3 turbo systems for his FWD centuries; and has a 3rd project....