What does a Cam look like when it's "wiped"?

cabech984

Hey everybody, Great community you all got going here. I just made a purchase on a 3.8L Turbo Engine from an 87 GN. I am in the process of tearing it down. Its a 109 Block w/ stock rods, crank, pistons. Its been apart once that I know of. I found that it has a small amount of aftermarket parts in it. One is the cam. Its an Erson cam.

I didnt get the pn # or the grind # off it. It looks like is has barely been used. I was curious as to what a "wiped cam lobe" looks like. Ive seen some worn cams in my time but never heard the term wiped. Any help would be great.

Oh yeah, the engine came with:

ARP Connecting Rod, and Cylinder head Bolts
Erson cam & Springs
Oil pressure booster
Kenne Bell upper intake & TB

showImage.php

look at the #3e lobe.

All the lobes should show the same wear pattern. There will be discoloration marks on either side of the nose of the lobes. If one looks like it is freshly machined - it is probably going down. If it looks anything like the cam in the pic in the link above - well, i don't think anybody would question it.

Why the tear down?

look at the #3e lobe.

All the lobes should show the same wear pattern. There will be discoloration marks on either side of the nose of the lobes. If one looks like it is freshly machined - it is probably going down. If it looks anything like the cam in the pic in the link above - well, i don't think anybody would question it.

Why the tear down?

My cam has that discoloration on the sides of the lobe. I tore it down b/c the old owner was having oiling problems. The #1 rod spun the bearing, 2 lifters failed. Other than that, it looks alright. I'm gonna go ahead and beef the engine up.

It looks like this.....

Attachments

• IMG_1351.jpg
    IMG_1351.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 301
HAHA is that written on your garage floor? Anyways thats usually what a wiped cam lobe looks like, or it is near round, with a very small lobe!

,Dan

I thought that was funny too!! Mine def. dont look like that, I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow. It looks like Id re-use it but, I'll get some second opinions from you all!!