What did you do to your GN today?

So the summer before last I decided to have a A/C shop here in town locate and fix a leak in my system. (I usually do my own work but A/C service doesn't necessarily float my boat). The shop determined that the compressor was leaking so they installed a new one. My system was still R12 so they also upgraded to R134a, flushed the system, etc.

During the work they called me to say that my alternator was bad, at which point I asked if they had tested it. They hadn't and said they would get back to me. They eventually said there was no problem with the alternator and it was a loose connection.

When I went to pick up my car it was sitting out front. I noticed that the interior lights were on (I know I didn't leave them on so I can only guess that either a technician was working late at night or someone was taking the care for a joy ride). I surmised at this time that the "problem" with the alternator is that they had just left the lights on all week and each time they went to start the car it was dead and they had to jump it. Since it ran fine once they did this I guess they figured they had "fixed" the alternator's loose connection which never existed in the first place.

So I end up paying and mention to the manager that I could see that my interior lights were on and that odds were the car wasn't going to start. He just looked at me and then turned around and went into a side office. Ok then.. guess I'll try to start the car. Its dead, of course. I go back inside and have to get the attention of some other manager behind the counter that they need to jump my car. They send out the B-team guy with a portable jumper who proceeds to spend 25 minutes trying to get it to work. Eventually he had to go get his manager who noticed the guy hadn't plugged it all the way in to the wall.

I should mention that this place came highly recommended.. don't they always. Oh, they also dented my hood and failed to keep the old parts for me as I like to keep all the originals off the car.

Anyhow, fast forward to the next summer. I go to use the AC and its blowing hot.... figures. Since I do have a set of manifold gauges I hook them up and find that the pressure is low. I charge the system with just under a can of R134a and get the AC blowing cold again. I could have taken it back to the shop since it was under warranty but after the experience I had I was concerned they might blow the car up if I took it to them again.

So, fast forward another year to last weekend. I go to test the AC again knowing it apparently still has a slow leak. This time there's zero pressure in the lines... lovely. I had noticed visible dyed PAG fluid leaking from the bottom of the line manifold on the back of the compressor. I busted out the UV light to be sure and sure enough the back of the compressor glowed. I unbolt the manifold and find the following situation with the green washer seal:

20170506_102710.jpg

Pretty chewed up. The compressor is a CompressorWorks (which seems to either be the same or associated with 4 Seasons). Based on one of the tech documents on the CompressorWorks website you are supposed to use the small metal insert along with the green washer seal. I'm guessing what happens is if you don't when you go to tighten the manifold to the compressor the seal squishes between the shorter tube and the compressor body and mangles it like this.

Once my replacement washer seal package arrives I'm going to see about fixing this dumb-assery.

- Mike

helped my buddies install a 1 1/2 ton A/C system in my garage!

Attachments

• Garage AC1.JPG
    Garage AC1.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Garage AC2.JPG
    Garage AC2.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Its the angle of the picture. Hose isn't pinched or close to anything.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Painted my new comp turbo :) CT437168 . And will be firing my 281CID stage motor very soon :)
IMG_8976.JPG
IMG_8965.JPG

Some interior work. Replaced my thumb-worn headlight switch with a NOS one from Highway Stars. Took my doors apart: replaced all window and door lock switches with nice ones from Highway Stars, replaced any plastic door retainers that were shot, did a DIY job to stop the window rattling. Also installed Kirban's repro door sill plates that look amazing.
I also installed the optional brighter LED bulb from VDO for my boost gauge. It helped a little but the boost gauge is still not as bright as the rest of the gauges.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Some interior work. Replaced my thumb-worn headlight switch with a NOS one from Highway Stars. Took my doors apart: replaced all window and door lock switches with nice ones from Highway Stars, replaced any plastic door retainers that were shot, did a DIY job to stop the window rattling. Also installed Kirban's repro door sill plates that look amazing.
I also installed the optional brighter LED bulb from VDO for my boost gauge. It helped a little but the boost gauge is still not as bright as the rest of the gauges.

Do you have a part number for that LED bulb from VDO?
I've got a bunch of cockpit series gauges in my car that the light output is something less than desired. Believe one gauge is the vision series that is considerably better.
I'm interested in upgrading the lighting in my cockpit gauges .

thanks,
dave

Do you have a part number for that LED bulb from VDO?
I've got a bunch of cockpit series gauges in my car that the light output is something less than desired. Believe one gauge is the vision series that is considerably better.
I'm interested in upgrading the lighting in my cockpit gauges .

thanks,
dave
600 886 is the white LED. 600 880 is the blue LED. 600 879 is the red LED.
My boost gauge is the cockpit series from Kirban 2 1/16".
I wish I could tell you this LED made a world of difference but it did not. It was simple to change and it probably doubled the brightness but for frame of reference, the oil pressure and water temp gauges that everyone also buys from Kirban are still 3-5 times as bright. It's a design issue with the boost gauge. The numbers and lines can't get enough light through them and the radiance from the edges of the face plate is not enough to light up the gauge.
By the way, my fuel pressure gauge (electric) from Speed Hut looks crisp and amazingly bright by comparison.

Installed ebay headlights
686c83c97add550bb1bfd04f211fcf4b.jpg

03de7044154027c1c58f27eeba765c4c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Only started it up and let it run until normal operating temp.

I'm going to have to break something soon before i forget how to troubleshoot and fix the car! It's been a loooong time since i had a problem with it. (y)

Is it still leaking oil?if not there is your next problem.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Is it still leaking oil?if not there is your next problem.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

No oil leaks. I don't allow any of those to happen on my engine. Hasn't happened since i learned how to fix/replace the rear main seal.

Replaced the heater core today. I wish I could say that was fun but it wasn't.

IMG_5004.JPG
Been replacing the Bigstuff3 with the stock ECM with PowerLogger, and SD chip, TR6, and COP setup.
Also been fitting my new console too