what blocks are interchangable with 85?

skostur79

just got the word that my block is shot from the spun cam bearing
and need to find a block so

what cars have the same block that i can get one from ,thanks

It would be easiest to look for rear wheel drive 3.8 equipped Cutlasses, Regals, or any G-Bodies. 1986 and 1987 will have the 109 block but the other 3.8 blocks will be fine for a street car too. This is just for the block; if you need a crank and rods you'll have to find a 4.1 out of a big GM car from 81-84 I believe. They'll have the crank and rods but you could use the bigger block as well. GNTTYPE.ORG has all of this info plus pictures and casting numbers.

rear wheel only

what was the differences with the fwd just the block,

im in a time crunch, yes i did look at gntype site

Where are you located? I've got an '84 RWD cutlass with a 3.8 that I'm parting out in Johnstown, PA.

If you wanted the block you could have it for free. I sure don't need it.

skostur79 said:
rear wheel only

what was the differences with the fwd just the block,

im in a time crunch, yes i did look at gntype site

The only year of FWD block you might be able to use is from the 1985 A/C/H-body cars. And nobody has confirmed whether that block has the correct motor mount bosses cast into it. The 86 and later blocks use a different front cover so they are difenetly out of the picture. There are tons of 84-87 RWD 3.8's out there so I wouldn't waste my time looking at FWD block.

ya the fwd wont work i dont know why i asked that

84's remember have 14 oil pan so ill have to change too many things

i think i found one i hope

84-85 N/A block

Is this possible to use a 84-85 3.8 block for a turbo application :eek: N/A BLOCK.If so I sure did let more than a few get by me.I always look for the 86-87 109 block :biggrin: