What are mainstream uses for Methanol?

BoostMasterK

2 boys now, need more GNs
I'm trying to find a source in north jersey and I'd like to know what the mainstream/commercial uses are for it, so I can search those industries.

TIA!

Mike

Try oil distributors in your area, I use it to make windshield wash and that is where I get it.

Ron

NJVetteGuy said:
Cartek in Garwood buys it by the drum and resells to the public. www.cartek.net or call them 908-317-4496 ask for Dave and say Artie referred you.

Ask for Julio and tell him Julio sent you.. :D

This doesn't answer your question, but A-1 Racing Specialties in Paterson (800-783-2262) sells methanol...if indeed all you want is a source of supply and not care what other uses it has.

We use it for process unit feed stock in the refining business, but we buy it in 30-50k barrel batches and don't sell to the public. That doesn't mean that a gallon or two here and there doesn't get liberated by the motorheads in the plant :biggrin: !

Thanks everyone for your replies, I followed up on your input and found 3 potential local sources. When I confirm which if any of them actually stock the methanol, I will add them to our sticky list :cool:

One is a body shop...wonder what they use it for.

Mike

One use is to poison perfectly good corn liquor or drinkable eth. alky. :mad:

Relegates it to paint thinner use. :p

ronbuick said:
Try oil distributors in your area, I use it to make windshield wash and that is where I get it.

Ron

I second this, although it was easier for me since I see their sales rep. in our dealership :)

Must have been funny to see that big ole blue drum in the back of your PU. Gee is it legal for Methanol to be transported that way? ;) You need a bigger tank in the TTA so you don't have to fill it up every other day from all those WOT blasts :biggrin:

Methanol is isued to make Bio-diesel. Separates out good stuff from bad stuff I guess. Bio-D guys are coming around wanting to buy a gallon or two for their homemade refineries and stills. Their tailpipe exhaust make me hungry, smells like home-cookin'! :wink: