What a difference a proper intercooler makes!!

gtfrede

Designated LSX Hater
For the longest time I ran my reasonably built setup with a bone stock intercooler with a untouched stock neck...went 92 mph with it at 25psi on race fuel in the 1/8th...

Installed Rjc mega cooler and went back to the track...result was 97mph on pump 93 at 19-20 psi (with 3° less timing in all gears)

Moral of the story...you can make stock intercooler s work ok but do yourself a favor and get away from it and replace with a modern day intercooler core....

I'm truly amazed at the "pump gas power" the car has now without alky...

Just some information

One day I will ditch the stock intercooler/Duttweiler neck and go for a better SLIC. Thanks for the update.

Last edited:
For the longest time I ran my reasonably built setup with a bone stock intercooler with a untouched stock neck...went 92 mph with it at 25psi on race fuel in the 1/8th...

Installed Rjc mega cooler and went back to the track...result was 97mph on pump 93 at 19-20 psi (with 3° less timing in all gears)

Moral of the story...you can make stock intercooler s work ok but do yourself a favor and get away from it and replace with a modern day intercooler core....

I'm truly amazed at the "pump gas power" the car has now without alky...

Just some information
Damn man, that's sick. Thanks for posting that up. The mega cooler is the front mount correct? Those are really nice. RJC did a helluva job with that piece.

Yes and it fit amazingly well...takes up every available inch of grill opening...if I could restart my Buick hobby it would be my first purchase

Yeah? From my research, and observation, people seem to yield greater results on pump gas alone with the FMIC.

Yeah? From my research, and observation, people seem to yield greater results on pump gas alone with the FMIC.
I certainly enjoyed/ing a huge improvement when I mounted up the V2!!!!

Sent from my QMV7A tablet via Tapatalk.

I certainly enjoyed/ing a huge improvement when I mounted up the V2!!!!

Sent from my QMV7A tablet via Tapatalk.
I agree, I have two V2's I wouldnt trade for anything, but the RJC 315-xtf is a similar tube/fin design to the CAS units..

I honestly can't believe they don't recommend better intercooling more feverishly having felt the difference now.

I honestly can't believe they don't recommend better intercooling more feverishly having felt the difference now.
I think it's a bang for the buck thing. Seeing that you can take an all stock car, and throw alky at it and yield some silly results, the FMIC couldn't produce as much power without the supporting mods to utilize. That's just my belief anyway. If I had to choose between an Alky kit and FMIC, Cost vs performance, I would go with the Alky. JMO though, and I don't have either.

I love my cotton's front mount! I hit it with a very light coat of flat black, you wouldn't even know it's there.

Actually I should have some iat data this week once i relocate it to the charge pipe.... won't have any before data unfortunately

Idk what to do at this point intercooler wise. I bought a used aftermarket SLIC, but I can't utilize the freaking scoop due to my dual fans which is rendering it to be useless. Im so pissed!!! Lol

Idk what to do at this point intercooler wise. I bought a used aftermarket SLIC, but I can't utilize the freaking scoop due to my dual fans which is rendering it to be useless. Im so pissed!!! Lol

You could go to a single SN95 fan that moves about 4,500 CFM so you could use that slic.

They are very easy to mount and only need a couple brackets fabbed and some trimming to fit.

I love mine and won't use anything else.

They can be had for about 100 bucks on flea bay.

It's the fabbing of the brackets that I'd be too lazy to do. Lol. The dual fans fit so perfect where they are that I'm running them with NO brackets and haven't budged.:( I didn't pay much for the SLIC and I actually have an excuse to go front mount.:cool:

Phil Jordan, any interest in selling your SLIC if you don't end up using it? pm me.

Thanks.

Water intercooling is very effective, for short periods of time. Not practical for daily use.