What’s needed to remove the charcoal canister?

434nova

What’s needed to remove the charcoal canister under the hood? I’m looking for space so I can run my cold air intake and have a cleaner look. Is there any issues with removal?do I need to plug any lines etc with the removal? I heard you will get gas fumes in the garage from it being removed? I’m looking to delete my egr and remove that canister, trying to clean the engine bay up. Thanks

Mine was missing when I bought the car. I haven't noticed any gas smell in the garage. If I get close to that area once in awhile I might get a faint smell of gas after the car sits awhile.

Why not relocate it outside of engine bay on frame rail. ATR and possibly cottons used to sell relocation kit for inside bay area.

Most people actually keep them all you have to do is move it down to the frame rail where the original air box bolts down to. You can use the tab on the bottom of the canister to mount it down there. Use one of the bolt holes for the intake box along with a bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spoke with a veteran GN owner at the 2019 Fall Rod Run and he said that most people just remove them and do the egr block off plate. If your not running an egr, I dont think it actualy does anything, plus the charcoal that is in it from 32 years ago is long outlived any useful purpose. I think some folks just turn that location into an oil catch can... or a nice location to get some cooler air into the intake.. I am certainly no expert on this subject but from what I understand, If you aren't running emissions, then it is pretty much just a waist of space. I'm sure someone that is using their car as a daily driver may have a differing opinion... I still have mine but I am a noob and not sure what exactly I want to do with that space other than stuff a cold air intake pipe behind the driver side headlight location.. Life is Short, Have fun.. 87GNALKY

You can still keep it and have more room, if you're worried about possible fumes. I relocated it without buying a relocation kit.

You can still keep it and have more room, if you're worried about possible fumes. I relocated it without buying a relocation kit.

I just want to delete it. Fumes is the least of my concerns. Just wanted to know if anything else would be affected by removing it.

I just want to delete it. Fumes is the least of my concerns. Just wanted to know if anything else would be affected by removing it.
I'm all most certain that no one is writes any code to support canister purge functionality. Pull the canister out (unbolt & disconnect the canister purge vacuum line from the purge solenoid) & determine if possible fumes set off a red flag.If so plug the line so the fumes are contained. Drill a 0.125" hole in the fuel cap to relieve excess vapor pressure in the fuel tank. More to come but you might consider trying this first.

All you have to do is get a small 1/4 fuel filter for a lawn mower, ATV, or motorcycle. Stick that in the vent tube that used to run back to the gas tank. That'll keep bugs and crud from making it's way into the gas tank.

For those that think it needs to stay to do it's job.... The charcoal in that canister is long since used up and not doing anything anymore.

It also has nothing to do with EGR. Exhaust doesn't run through the gas tank.

All you have to do is get a small 1/4 fuel filter for a lawn mower, ATV, or motorcycle. Stick that in the vent tube that used to run back to the gas tank. That'll keep bugs and crud from making it's way into the gas tank.

For those that think it needs to stay to do it's job.... The charcoal in that canister is long since used up and not doing anything anymore.

Thats good to know. For some reason I thought that the EGR had some sort of line that ran a small amount of pressure over to that canister so when people did the EGR delete they also removed the canister.. Must just be a qauwinkydink. Oh well, never stop learning... That's what these forums are for..

You will capture fumes in the car ( because I started out with the filter in the vapor line & didn't appreciate it. I was not driving mine on the street a bunch. It depends on % race car vs % driver.

For me it’s not a daily driver so no big deal. I come from carburetor cars. So a little gas smell is nothing. Thanks guys for the info.

I have been following this thread, because I have been thinking about deleting mine. earlbrown you just answered the OP's question and mine so it looks like the canister is coming out. Thanks

Removing it is a HUGE mistake if you have any type of sense of smell. I removed mine and a few days later put it back in. I my hybrid LC2 car i added it to the build. And yes still did the EGR delete.

In that case, put a charcoal filter for vacuum brakes on the vent line instead of a fuel filter.

I recently changed my cold air intake from all the pipes running down through the opening next to the charcoal canister, to the new location as shown in the photo, which my personal opinion gives a cleaner look.
It may look as if the sensor is too close the alternator, but its not there is over an inch space between them, and the whole pipe structure is solid with zero movement.

Attachments

• New Mass Sensor with pipe work.jpg
    New Mass Sensor with pipe work.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 34
  • 20191016_224202.jpg
    20191016_224202.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
With all due respect - I have one in my 86 and get NO fuel smell out of it must be working, also added one to my hybrid and it got rid of the fuel smell.
The one on the 86 has 85k plus miles on it.
The one on the hybrid had over 180k miles on it.

Good luck guys which ever way you go.