Weight Reduction List

NEARING

Could we get one going? I couldn't find one on the search.

Glass hood -27 lbs
glass trunk lid, about -35lbs
glass front bumper- 37lbs
glass rear bumper- 35lbs
floormats -4lbs
lt1 starter -8lbs
a/c , about-30lbs
front sway bar-23lbs?
power ant. about 2lbs?
light wheels about-60lbs but much greater benifit
sound insulation -13lbs or so
back seats about -25lbs
man steering box -10lbs
F car radiator-10lbs
light battery -15to20lbs
spare tire and jack-52lbs
aluminum radiator support-12lbs
Rims, guess it depends on what you had before.

Will add stuff as i find it.

Sound deadner?
back seats?
passenger seat manual and electric?

Any input would be helpful:D
Thanks.

What about eliminating power steering.Aluminum bumper brackets.Remove crash bars from doors.Tubular front control arms.Remove cruise control,evap can,all that little stuff.Single shot exhaust.

No,I haven't done it yet.I plan on getting my GN to a lightweight too.I have a TA block coming and I plan on getting nasty at the strip.I have one trick I am going to use that will drop 1000#.I am putting a 4.1 stock block motor in a 2500# chevy luv.I am sure there are lots of things we could remove that would not hurt structural integrity of the car.I have thought about taking a holesaw to a few areas like they did with the drag cars in the 60s.The weight reduction adds up but the structure is still strong.

I just removed my backseats tonight. Going to remove the sound dampening when the car goes home because the seats take up my apartment room enough. I'd say the combined two pieces take up 30-40 pounds.

stock steering box is 29 lbs. and man. steering box is 19 lbs. plus you save on the pump and lines. also lt1 starter is 8 lbs. lighter and lt4 is 10 lbs. does anyone know the weight difference from stock doors to fiberglass doors with crank windows installed?

how about ...Stock carpet and rubber bonded to it ...washer and coolnt bottles empty , lighter radiator , plastic headlamps , lighter battery .

Originally posted by NEARING
Could we get one going? I couldn't find one on the search.

Glass hood -27 lbs
glass trunk lid, about -35lbs
glass front bumper- 37lbs
glass rear bumper- 35lbs
floormats -4lbs
lt1 starter -10lbs
a/c , about-80lbs
front sway bar-25lbs?
power ant. about 2lbs?
light wheels about-60lbs but much greater benifit
sound insulation -20lbs or so
back seats about -25lbs
man steering box -10lbs
Rims, guess it depends on what you had before.

Will add stuff as i find it.

Removing the A/C on my car saved me a total of 30# (including the evaporator). 80# is way high for the A/C.

Spare/jack and cover save 52#. The front sway bar and end links are 23#. Lt1 starter saved 8#. Sound deadener under/behind rr seat was 13#. Converting from power to manual driver seat will save you 9#. Plastic headlights save 3# (for all four). Aluminum radiator support saves 12#, F car radiator is a 10# savings. Using a light battery such as the Hawker Genesis will save you 15-20# depending on the weight of the battery you're running now.

HTH,

Jim

I was going on someone else's numbers, maybe they were counting the heater box and everything else too?

Thread revival. How about a single shot exhaust compared to dual exhaust? I saw somewhere where it quoted the weight savings.

Wow! Fooled me! I thought now this is where all the guys I remember must hang out.... Until I seen what year it was posted. Where did everyone go?
I'll add to the post tho.
Aluminum intake and up pipes net a little weight reduction off the front.