Weatherstrip Woes

cronanzone

I ordered soffseal door seals / roof rail and they are laughably bad - didn't install them just dry fit. The door seals are not even close. The roof rails are slightly less unbelievably awful. Ordered the metro door seals a few days ago to see if I have better luck w/those but after reading a bunch of threads i'm not too hopeful. Still waiting on them to arrive, fingers crossed.

I have searched hi/lo for some GM stuff but I guess there is no such animal out there anymore? I was ready to pay a painful amt to get the right fit, no luck though.

Are there any other options out there that give you a chance at doing this job right?

The Metro ones are the only option and they are not that great but they fit. Got to use some weatherstripping adhesive to make it work but it does fit. The biggest issue is Metro is harder than stock so causes problems with gaps. Original GM just fits perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When installing these weather strips, how hard is it to adjust the window so it closes correctly?

My T is in a shop getting some paint issues repaired, while they're at it, they will replace the weather strips on both doors plus adjust the windows. I'll be getting her back on Monday so, if I remember, I'll post how well the windows work.

The problem with the hard as hell aftermarket rubber is the window motor doesn't have enough balls to compress it airtight. If you adjust the window around that, you get wind noise. If you trial and error it with the door open, you have to open the door to roll it all the way up and then slam the crap out of the door to get it to close.

It's basically a balancing act between lose/lose.

I have to do this on my car eventually, too...disappointed to read that there isn't an aftermarket weatherstrip product that works properly, other than the original GM stuff, which would be pretty much unobtainium by now. So, is the Metro weatherstripping the lesser of the evils?

Pretty much impossible.

so ur saying there's a chance
My T is in a shop getting some paint issues repaired, while they're at it, they will replace the weather strips on both doors plus adjust the windows. I'll be getting her back on Monday so, if I remember, I'll post how well the windows work.

thanks,
The problem with the hard as hell aftermarket rubber is the window motor doesn't have enough balls to compress it airtight. If you adjust the window around that, you get wind noise. If you trial and error it with the door open, you have to open the door to roll it all the way up and then slam the crap out of the door to get it to close.

I put a "window turbo" on a few weeks back, maybe I will have a fighting chance bc it def has balls now. they move fast n fierce now.

I have to do this on my car eventually, too...disappointed to read that there isn't an aftermarket weatherstrip product that works properly, other than the original GM stuff, which would be pretty much unobtainium by now. So, is the Metro weatherstripping the lesser of the evils?

Yeah, my GM Door seals were not in good shape at all, but if I knew the aftermarket stuff was so bad I probably would have left the old ones on there even though they were in rough shape.

sucks.

X2 what Earl stated, put metro’s on my 84 GP, I have spent countless hours trying to adjust the windows. Final solution, roll the windows up with the doors open, then they seal great, with doors shut, just doesn’t happen. The only thing I can add, is that they did fit the roof rail and door decent, a little bit of trimming here and there, and poof, windows are almost operating.

X2 what Earl stated, put metro’s on my 84 GP, I have spent countless hours trying to adjust the windows. Final solution, roll the windows up with the doors open, then they seal great, with doors shut, just doesn’t happen. The only thing I can add, is that they did fit the roof rail and door decent, a little bit of trimming here and there, and poof, windows are almost operating.

roger that. thanks for heads up tip/trick.

Buy the OEM GM stuff (yes it's expensive), then use Kirbans guide to adjust.
It will take hours and still never be perfect, but much better than ANY aftermarket stuff. (ask me how I know)

Here's the problem with the GM stuff. They stored it in cardboard boxes for the first 20 years of it's life, and then after noticing it was degrading put it in those plastic bags.
The damage was already done.
I bit the bullet a few years ago and got the GM weatherstripping and 2 years later it's coming apart and looks as bad if not worse then my originals did, after spending a bunch of $$. If Rosie was a garage queen and never saw sunshine, might would have been ok.
Maybe we need to get Spoolfool on this! He comes up with really good stuff for us!!:cool:

Here's the problem with the GM stuff. They stored it in cardboard boxes for the first 20 years of it's life, and then after noticing it was degrading put it in those plastic bags.
The damage was already done.
I bit the bullet a few years ago and got the GM weatherstripping and 2 years later it's coming apart and looks as bad if not worse then my originals did, after spending a bunch of $$. If Rosie was a garage queen and never saw sunshine, might would have been ok.
Maybe we need to get Spoolfool on this! He comes up with really good stuff for us!!:cool:

^ second this.

, you have to open the door to roll it all the way up and then slam the crap out of the door to get it to close.

Then be sure the latch and striker are adjusted properly with no issues on hinge pins or then you will end up cracking the door jamb sheet metal around the striker. Very common across all G Body cars. They even sell reinforcement plates for that area due to the metal prone to cracking.

Then be sure the latch and striker are adjusted properly with no issues on hinge pins or then you will end up cracking the door jamb sheet metal around the striker. Very common across all G Body cars. They even sell reinforcement plates for that area due to the metal prone to cracking.

thanks for the heads up. I'm gunna try and find a source on this

Use silicone lube on the gaskets after install helps a lot until the new gaskets take shape. Silicone regularly after that and they should be ok.