Weather striping

t_top_GNX87

Good afternoon Buick Fam. Hopefully someone could shine some light at this subject. I have spent a lot of money on weather striping seals but still keep getting water leaks. ( yes I am having a professional change them for me. Yes he knows what he is doing and making adjustments as well. ) water leaks keep coming from where the door window meets the t top and where the window meets the pillar. I have gotten two new complete sets from the website OPGI. T-Tops and pillar and door seals. The seals are super soft and halo. The Tech working on my car tells me I need to get hard seals. I keep reading that soft seals are better. I'm running out of ideas and time. I live in Miami, FL were is always raining. I don't have a garage to keep the car and car covers seem to scratch the paint and it's not 100% water proof either. really don't want to sell my car 87 grand national cause it was my fathers but if I can't figure this out I don't have a choice. Car is rust free 100 % and I want to keep it that way. Does anyone recommend a website for the new seals or anywhere that I could get a the right seals to correct this.

soft seal is actually the brand name of the company that did the licensed GM reproductions and their roof and door seals are no longer available they do still have the trunk seal, steel rubber company makes the hardest version of seals out there , metro are probably the brand that most sell , nothing is like the gm stuff , but very hard to find and really expensive. Fairchild is also another company and they are actually working on some better reproductions right now and almost done , I have no experience with t -tops but have read/heard a lot of guys like the Steele rubber products version for the t top seals

Rock Auto also carries the Fairchild brand. A little cheaper. As per Grass Doc, you may want to wait on "Fairchild is also another company and they are actually working on some better reproductions right now and almost done ".

did he adjust your windows or just the t- tops , as it requires both to be right , it is a treat doing the windows as there are like 8 or 9 adjustment points and takes a lot of patience if doing for the first time

Isn't there another thread about this recently?

The Fairchild ones are explained there.

yes just for the lower door seals that Fairchild is doing now with plastic insert , he needs help with t tops hope someone with t tops will add to this

I got metro super soft on Amazon for a fraction of what they’re listed for. No leaks in the rain but if I aim a hose directly between the back of the window I get a dribble.

I spent quite a bit of time adjusting the windows and the doors were a bear to close but they’re getting easier as the windows seat against the seals.

soft seal is actually the brand name of the company that did the licensed GM reproductions and their roof and door seals are no longer available they do still have the trunk seal, steel rubber company makes the hardest version of seals out there , metro are probably the brand that most sell , nothing is like the gm stuff , but very hard to find and really expensive. Fairchild is also another company and they are actually working on some better reproductions right now and almost done , I have no experience with t -tops but have read/heard a lot of guys like the Steele rubber products version for the t top seals
Anyone using the Steele Door Seals, since they are the stiffest ones, how good of a job do they seal and the ease of the door shutting ?

There are lots of threads on this subject as of today the subject is all over place. Kirbans use to and still may sell a booklet on t top and window adjustment. I recently owned a T top car window seals and t top seals are time consuming. Most people do the job themselves because it's time consuming. I used Steele. Door shutting will be hard for at least 2- 3 months if you drive car on regular basis. Welcome to the dark side nothing is easy about turbo Buicks. Good luck

Hi There,

Yes he adjusted the doors, windows & T-tops. Took him almost a day worth of work just on my car. This is a tech who only works on old school convertables and g bodies but most g bodies he has work on have been hard tops.

Hi Turbo Frank, I don't mind if the doors are hard to close i just dont want to have gaps on the seals when it rains that my carpet gets wet. It's mostly on the seal that stays attach to the t top and the window meet. The seal is super soft and it has a lot of uneven spots.

This seems to be a very common problem with replacement seals. On my 87 the seals had been replaced. The doors were hard to shut and they leaked. I found it was somewhat better if I shut the door with the windows down and then put them up after but they still leaked. You wouldn't think it would be rocket science to make good replacement seals but apparently it is

This seems to be a very common problem with replacement seals. On my 87 the seals had been replaced. The doors were hard to shut and they leaked. I found it was somewhat better if I shut the door with the windows down and then put them up after but they still leaked. You wouldn't think it would be rocket science to make good replacement seals but apparently it is
rhturbo - What brand of seal are you using ???

Check with Fairchild Industries, they are the only ones making weatherstips out of latex, same as OEM, definitely stay away from Metro seals, installed them on my Grand Prix and they SUCK, Replaced with a set of Steele, much better product that actually worked, patiently awaiting for the new Fairchild door seals with plastic insert!!!!'