WE4 for sale in IA: modded but stock appearing, and CLEAN!

YGETV8

I think, therefore I am??
WE4 pics/info (for the best overall WE4 pic, go to "click here to see my other cars" link on top right of page and scroll down)

1987 Buick Regal Turbo T WE4 package. 64K miles. T-Tops, PW, PL, RW defrost, cruise, anaolog dash. Black with gray interior (of course!). Recently wet sanded/buffed to an awesome deep shine! Gets compliments everywhere I go! I went to great lengths to maintain as much of a stock appearance as possible because I like to enter stock classes at local car shows. Drivetrain features: highly modified stock appearing air box assembly with custom machined and hidden LS1 mass air flow sensor (new 8/03) and K&N cone filter inside, 3.5" MAF flex hose attached to a max ported stock turbo inlet bell bolted to a rebuilt stock appearing TA62 turbo, high efficiency CAS V-4 19 row stock location intercooler with dual SMC alcohol nozzles custom installed in the rear of the outlet neck, JJ 62/65mm ported stock throttle body with new shaft seals and ported upper plenum, RJC Power Plate, ported stock intake manifold, ported/polished/big valve stock heads (casting 8445) with RJC billet rocker supports, newer Comp Cams 980 valve springs, ACRTS 42 plugs gapped at .034", and dual steel shim head gaskets, stock 64K mile engine and cam, ported ATR replacement left SS header, Poston's crossover pipe, ported/sleeved stock right header, Mease Performance 3" SS downpipe/test pipe, Hooker cat back exhaust system, Jimmy's Transmission "full race" 200R4 rebuild and Precision Industries 9.5" 2800 stall multi-disc lock up torque converter (both w/ 3K miles), custom NHRA legal driveshaft loop, new driveshaft u-joints, stock rear with Air Lift bags in springs, Bilstien shocks, and aluminum rear brake drums. The engine compartment also features a Holmes 3 core high efficiency radiator, 160* thermostat, B&M external transmission cooler, LT1 mini starter, RJC aluminum crank pulley, VoltBlaster voltage booster, front frame braces, Kirban's MAG stock appearing plug wires, black aluminum vacuum block, newer AC Delco battery, newer coolant and windshield washer reservoirs, new heater core, used/tested coil pack and module, custom stock appearing aluminum IC ID tag, a hidden SMC "fast response" exhaust gas temperature probe, and newer hood struts. The fuel system consists of a Casper's Electronics hot-wired Walbro 340 fuel pump, black billet adjustable pressure regulator, and black painted MSD 50 lb. injectors. The interior has a full A-pillar dual pod gauge holder with a VDO boost and a Casper's knock gauge, a custom ashtray switch plate engraved "WE4... one of 1547." An SMC alcohol control box is hidden in the glovebox, as well as the Translator Plus with Extender chip. A "Grainger valve" manual boost control is in the center console. The SMC EGT digital monitor mounts to the center AC vent for quick removal and swapping at car shows, if desired. A new headliner was installed 8/03. A Compaq laptop and power inverter run DirectScan to monitor and tune it. Even new pedals have been installed. The body has had a GN rear spoiler added, newly painted bumpers with new OEM rub strips (8/03), newer OEM front airdams, dark tinted rear and quarter windows, all body emblems have been removed (but complete set of new OEM ones are included), and rear seat body braces help keep it all together. The stock 15x7 T wheels are on the front with like new 215/65 tires and wider stock appearing ("T look-alike") 15x8.5 Vector wheels with 275/60 (look bigger) soft compound drag radial retreads with tons of tread left out back. All the wheels have had the fins and outer rim custom polished for a very unique, yet subtle and basically stock appearing look. New OEM center caps have also been added, for which I custom machined adapters so they could be used on the rear Vector wheels. T-Top seals/plates are in good shape.

90% of the additions above have been installed in the last 3500 miles (3 years). This car is garaged and has never seen salty winter roads. It was virtually stock when I bought it in '00 from the second owner, a retired friend of mine, who bought it in '89. Last fall, with a cracked spark plug (unbeknownst to me), it ran 11.65@116mph with a 1.64 sixty foot in full street trim (closed exhaust, retread tires). That was at 22-23 psi boost, but I was experiencing what I thought was boost "flutter" which I later found out was due to the cracked spark plug misfiring. The car has been safely and successfully tested at up to 26 psi boost on 93 octane gas with the alky system. I don not drive it hard often, now do I baby it. It has roughly 25 1/4 mile passes on it, but only about 6-8 with the newer combo (TA62/heads/trans/converter). There's lots more there with tuning!

There are a few issues: the heater box control door is stuck (from lack of use, apparently), and the rear defrost, cruise control, and bright headlights don't work (don't know why... never looked into them). The power antenna stays in the up position (but I have a NOS GM replacement, just never installed). There are a few small dings here and there that could easily be repaired with paintless dent removal. In front of the trunk GN spoiler there are flaws in the paint that are noticeable in the right light (holes from a previous pedestal spoiler had to be filled). Upon cold start, it tends to die when pulled into gear without a little revving. I can only guess that the super tight tranny pulls the engine down so quick that the ECM doesn't recover well. I say this because my old T-Type did the same thing when this trans/converter was in it (for 750 miles) and a buddy's car with the same trans/converter combo does it too. It is just a nuisance and doesn't do it when up to temp. Oh yeah, the sun visors could possibly use recovering but they aren't too bad.

These flaws do not detract from the vehicle and it has garnered several first place trophies to prove it! Again, being subtle and stealthy were key in the way I put this car together and it "worked!"

For my asking price I am including a lot of extra TR parts. The "biggest" of which are 2 BRF tranny cores (one has a bad case), a 750 mile 109 shortblock with a RJC girdle, .030 TRWs, Total Seal rings, polished stock rods, align bored mains, and torque plate bore/hone cyls. that needs new bearings (thrust wear but no damage), stock heads w/ valves, valve covers, and rocker arms, stock intake w/rail and harness, a couple of D5 converters for cores, NOS radiator and wastegate hoses, a complete NOS WE4 emblem set mentioned above, 28x10 MT ET Drags with lots of tread but not used in 9 years on polished 15x8 AR Outlaws (tires have bead screwed to rims), stock Regal trunk lid (silver), and lots of small parts gathered up over 15 years of TR ownership! (I have quite a collection of die cast TRs and magazines with TR articles that may also be thrown in for some extra $$$.)

It is with a heavy heart that I am offering my baby up for sale. I LOVE my WE4 but it basically just sits as I am having WAY too much fun with my '03 Cobra purchased 1/04. I promised my wife I would sell the WE4 when we were buying the Cobra, and have held off this long, but it is now a matter of having too many toys and too little time (again). Somebody who has the time to appreciate it will NOT regret owning it! I get nothing but compliments when we're out and about in it.

Price is $12,000. I paid $8000 for it 4.5 years ago with 56K miles which everyone I knew (and me!) said was a steal... do the math and you can see I have a LOT more than $12K into it! Needless to say, I am really an unmotivated seller, but may entertain offers. Thanks for looking! 563-370-3469 days/eves

Hey Jay, you just broke my hearty man!! For everybody else, Jays car is the sweetest car around this area!! Ive been to many shows with our cars and Jays is by far the most stealth car there is!! Anybody who wants a nice WE4 would be lucky to have his! ------Jeremy

P.S. Jay, I think you are being a little too picky in your discription because the body of that car is in immaculate shape and if there really are door dings, I would have never noticed!!

Thanks for the kind words, Jeremy. I don't really want to sell it, and won't be heartbroken if I don't... you know?!

For some reason I can't edit the above, so I'll add this link with more pics:

WE4 pics...

Hey Jay! I forwarded this to a friend of mine in Des Moines. I know he was looking for a TR but lately he bought a new body shop and a super charged Mustang (he's going to resell it) so not sure how close he is to being ready.

I think im gonna be sick!:( I gave $10K for my 87' GN, bone stock, with 123K miles...then the tranny went out, water pump went out, radiator started leaking....what a nighmare! And i have wayyyyyy more than $12K in it now. Id give my left nut for your WE-4 Jay........where were u a year ago when i was looking??;)

By the way MR URL.....my car came from the Des Moines area...up by Ankeny....... he also had GNX, and a low mile 84' GN....just wondering if u knew him at all.

Originally posted by Mr URL
Hey Jay! I forwarded this to a friend of mine in Des Moines. I know he was looking for a TR but lately he bought a new body shop and a super charged Mustang (he's going to resell it) so not sure how close he is to being ready.

Thanks for forwarding the info to me Chad, I appreciate it.
I would be the afore mentioned friend.

I have a 99 Mustang GT s/c that I am currently selling. I am going down to Fun Ford Weekend in a week and a half with the Mustang to see if it will sell. It's to bad I didn't know about your car 2 weeks ago I would have bought it instead of the Mustang!!! After the Mustang is sold I am very interested in your car, looks like everything I want in a turbo buick.

I'll keep you updated on my sale and not to high jack the thread but if anyone knows of someone that is interested in my GT let me know ASAP so I can get a T-Type:)

Hi,

Do you have any pics of the 'Stang? Not sure if I am interested or not (or you, for that matter), but some kind of a trade *might* be do-able... ?

Which FFW are you going to?

Thanks for the reply,

Jay

Originally posted by YGETV8
Hi,

Do you have any pics of the 'Stang? Not sure if I am interested or not (or you, for that matter), but some kind of a trade *might* be do-able... ?

Which FFW are you going to?

Thanks for the reply,

Jay

I'm dumb, I wrote FFW and I meant WFC8 in St Louis. I'm going next weekend May 13-15.

I do have some pics of the car and I would be interested in a trade. I honestly haven't put it up for sale really anywhere, I think it should sell pretty easily. It's a real sleeper as it just looks stock but it runs pretty hard (for a Ford:D ).

I have several more pics if you want me to send them to your email let me know and I certainly will.

Thanks,

Jay Johnson

Attachments

• 2e_12_sb.jpg
    2e_12_sb.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 267
Originally posted by iowa87gn
I think im gonna be sick!:( I gave $10K for my 87' GN, bone stock, with 123K miles...then the tranny went out, water pump went out, radiator started leaking....what a nighmare! And i have wayyyyyy more than $12K in it now. Id give my left nut for your WE-4 Jay........where were u a year ago when i was looking??;)

By the way MR URL.....my car came from the Des Moines area...up by Ankeny....... he also had GNX, and a low mile 84' GN....just wondering if u knew him at all.

I think I know who you are talking about. Did he have those cars in a big building on 2nd Ave right south of Ankeny?