wastegate ??

HUENEMEGN

I will be running a 6466 MFS turbo and I was wondering if I can run a Internal wastegate on this turbo? I Will be at around 21-22 PSI on my new set up.

Or is a External wastegate the way to go. I would have to fab up my Headers and downpipe to make the external work.

Thanks,
Oscar

I will be running a 6466 MFS turbo and I was wondering if I can run a Internal wastegate on this turbo? I Will be at around 21-22 PSI on my new set up.

Or is a External wastegate the way to go. I would have to fab up my Headers and downpipe to make the external work.

Thanks,
Oscar

Oscar,

Take off your downpipe and put some sort of wet material on the wastegate puck so that when the material comes into contact with the turbine housing it will be coloring/marking the housing with the outline of the wastegate puck.

Use this as a guide, and pull your turbo off and the turbine housing, and port out the wastegate puck hole so that there is about 1/8" - 3/16" space left for the puck to seal against.

This should allow adequate airflow through the puck hole to control the boost properly.

If you still run into issues, an external wastegate may be needed.

If you do decide to go external, here are some options to choose from: https://www.boostedrps.com/wastegates-and-boost-control

With a turbo of that size, I wouldn't go smaller than a ProGate 50mmLite, though.

I would not open that hole up past 1" if you're using an internal gate. If you can't control the boost at that level, to get a smaller turbo.
Even at 1" that's only 25 mm. Good luck trying to control boost with 25 mm hole on a 3.8 liter motor.

I would not open that hole up past 1" if you're using an internal gate. If you can't control the boost at that level, to get a smaller turbo.
Even at 1" that's only 25 mm. Good luck trying to control boost with 25 mm hole on a 3.8 liter motor.

Why not past 1"?

What if he were to install the RJC 1.625" puck? That would definitely allow him to port the hole large enough to get some serious flow out of the puck port.

I've attached some photos of the radius area right before the puck hole, inside the turbine housing, that WORK Turbos actually smoothes out and cleans up that radius right there (as part of their process for their turbo rebuilds and included in the G4 turbos and any turbo with the "WORKed" options) so that the area before the puck hole has a gradual turn to it, helping the air to make that transition towards the puck hole.

Every little bit helps.

Attachments

• 20180105_211635.jpg
    20180105_211635.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 118
  • 20180105_211732.jpg
    20180105_211732.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 122
I think the point is, why run a big turbo if you are just dumping off all the exhaust.

That's right!

Generally you'd be wanting to port the gate out when you're experiencing 'wastegate creep'. This means that the exhaust flow is exceeding the flow capacity of the wastegate, allowing for an uncontrolled rise in boost pressure.

Problem with opening the hole too big (if you decide to turn boost up) ,running high boost/high horsepower is that backpressure has a lot more surface on the puck area to press on and may cause the boost to drop as rpm climbs and the mass flow increases.

You might need 1.125" to if you decide to keep at 20# ,low boost with an internal gate.

Go external.

I ran a Precision 6765 with an internal (I had boost creep) and later an external WG.

The external just plain works better.

My 2 cents worth.

Are you running an HD wastegate?

I purchased this 6466 turbo from another member for my new build and it didn't come with a actuator. That is why I was asking if internal or external. HD actuator would be the easiest to install. But I don't have a problem fabing up my headers for external

I purchased this 6466 turbo from another member for my new build and it didn't come with a actuator. That is why I was asking if internal or external. HD actuator would be the easiest to install. But I don't have a problem fabing up my headers for external
I'm running a 6265 with and HD wastegate, but I'm having a helluva of time controlling boost. I bought the turbo from Brian and it came with a plate, the turbo was originally for an external wastegate, my engine builder opened it up 1" and made sure the puck was lined up. Maybe that is the nature of the beast with an HD wastegate. With the rod extended as far as I can possibly extend it, if I go 3/4th throttle I'm up to 25psi. I only did that once, because my chip is a street chip set for 18psi. Luckily I have alky installed and it was turn on and spraying for the blip that I hit 25psi. I'm thinking of going back to a SD wastegate, but one person told me to hold off. It might not be the wastegate. Unfortunately I don't have the money to spend on an external.

I'm running a 6265 with and HD wastegate, but I'm having a helluva of time controlling boost. I bought the turbo from Brian and it came with a plate, the turbo was originally for an external wastegate, my engine builder opened it up 1" and made sure the puck was lined up. Maybe that is the nature of the beast with an HD wastegate.

Get rid of your HD actuator! Cracking pressure should be 14, 15# if your running 25-26# boost.

I would use a HD actuator if I was running 35-40+ boost.

Get a standard actuator , set your cracking pressure to 15# and get a Hallman MBC. You will be good.