Wastegate spings

T- Type Tim

Vice Chairman
I have a TIAL 38mm waste gate that i had previously controlled with a bleeder valve set up "tuner style". Iwould push about 26 psi on a safe tune with that setup.

Recently I went to a Ball and spring type controller vs the bleeder style. Preliminary testing was very good with a harder boost hit. Once i started easing the boost up from 15ish #s , I found the limit of the new controller @23psi.

This got me wondering what spring i have in my wastegate since ive had it for several years hooked up tuner style it really wasnt a big deal.

So this morning I take it apart and find I have the yellow spring in it rated for about 10 psi:

1585241673270.png

I have a large blue and small blue on the way today which according to the chart should put me close to 23psi base boost.

I also ordered a stiffer spring for the controller itself im ready to install. Im not sure if it came with the light or heavy spring , so i will eliminate that variable.

1585242011428.png

Heavy controller spring:

1585242144149.png

I wont be able to test for a couple days, but this should put me in a better adjustment range for my application.

Will report on findings soon

A possible problem with a 23# base spring is, that's as low as you can go.
One load of bad gas, and the need to turn it down, is gone.
I'd suggest a lower base, and work on the controller spring, to get it to the max, you are looking for.

Just my $.02 ;)

I think your right chuck

i got the the big blue spring yesterday
Which is rated around 14 psi.

comparing the new spring and the one that was in originally shows I was running a base spring pressure of 3psi as I had the small yellow spring in.
with that spring I could get 23 psi.

this blue one with the heavy controller spring should easily get me where I need to be.

thanks chuck
I hope you are doing well buddy
image.jpg

I have ran a max of ~28 psi with a 5 lb spring (?). I have now designed and build a CO2 setup, that needs to be installed.

Where is the "upper diaphram" boost source?

Hi Jerryl,

No boost source to the top the way this is hooked up. The control is in the spring opening pressure and the metered air to the underside of the diaphragm.
I ran it with a bleeder valve for several years with a 3lb spring hooked up "tuner style" ( i hate using that term) and could hit 26-27 PSI.

Now with the ball and spring controller the advantage is full boost production up until the regulation point (spring pressure) instead of a gradual bleed off until the regulation point is reached (regulator setpoint)

I can honestly say there is a difference in spool up time.

I ended up using the big blue spring and the small yellow giving me a base boost setting of about 18psi. The controller can take it from there.

Now with the ball and spring controller the advantage is full boost production up until the regulation point (spring pressure) instead of a gradual bleed off until the regulation point is reached (regulator setpoint)
You're speaking about the gradual opening of the wastegate puck bleeding off boost before it get to full boost? Like in this picture.
DA9BAB29-4457-43C3-BBF4-FF2D89EE2945.jpeg