Wastegate Rod Length and Boost

MRP78

I have a TA-49 turbo and I'm not for sure what boost is set at because I think the boost gauge is no good. It's mechanical but it just doesn't seem to read right. The car sounds like it is under boost but it will read in the vacuum range or around zero and then give it a little more gas but not full throttle and it will peg the gauge all the way. No knock according to the scanmaster. I'm going to get a new gauge and try it, but I don't want to mess anything up. I've reset the waste-gate rod length to 5 and 3/4 inches like a stock one is. This ended up being 4 turns shorter than it was set at. The gauge still does the same thing as it did before. On a stock turbo this would be around 15 PSI I believe. What I don't know and this is probably a dumb question, but if the waste-gate rod is set to stock level on a different turbo like a TA-49 would it result in the same boost as it would on a stock turbo?

If you have a mighty-vac, you should be able to check the hoses for leaks or contamination inthe lines, like moisture, etc. You should also be able to check the gauge using the pressure side of the m/vac. Are you still using w/g solenoid? You might want to check it as well.

If you have a mighty-vac, you should be able to check the hoses for leaks or contamination inthe lines, like moisture, etc. You should also be able to check the gauge using the pressure side of the m/vac. Are you still using w/g solenoid? You might want to check it as well.

I do have a mighty vac and will try it. How do I check the solenoid? If the wastegate rod is set to stock 5.75" on a TA 49 would that be the same amount of boost as it would be on a stock turbo or 15 #?

I do have a mighty vac and will try it. How do I check the solenoid? If the wastegate rod is set to stock 5.75" on a TA 49 would that be the same amount of boost as it would be on a stock turbo or 15 #?

dont be concerned about stock length
set the rod so it takes only about 1/8" to pull it out to put on the wastegate post