Wastegate question

Highspeedlowdrag

Hey guys, new to the forum. Quick question. I have a 87 GN. Turbonectics turbo with adjustable wastegate. I bought to install a RJC boost controller. I obviously can adjust it at the wastegate manually, so question is can i or should i just avoid the boost controller, run a vacuum line to the wastegate and adjust it or put the boost controller in-line and make any adjustments needed? Im not planning on adjusting or tuning the car too much other then just setting the boost at around factory boost level. Or does any of this really even matter lol?

just because the arm on the wastegate is adjustable doesn't mean it should be used to adjust boost ..it should be used to adjust the length for various downpipes/turbos and that adjustment should be to set the hole in wastegate arm 1/8" short of the downpipe puck arm post . then pull it the 1/8" to hook onto the wastegate puck arm
any increase to be made to boost level should be done by controlling the air (boost source) to the wastegate.

if you run a vac hose from turbo outlet to wastegate (tuner style) this will give you the lowest possible boost at WOT, this would be the first check ..if boost wont stay low enough then the wastegate hole may need to be ported or your gate may be a high boost gate

the rjc controller installs inline with that hose and blocks off the pressure with a spring loaded check ball (check ball end goes toward turbo..get it wrong and boost will be the max the turbo can make ) and increasing the pressure on that spring can increase the cracking pressure of the check ball and raises boost pressure.

bleeding the air off from the line to the gate will also raise pressure and that's the way the factory regulated the boost with an electronic boost control solenoid but you could also use a manual bleeder (many out there from fancy like the hallman or lorenz to just an ice maker valve from home depot) in its place or teed to it to increase the amount of air that is diverted from the gate and that will raise the boost even more
whatever you do to the boost to raise it above stock take small steps and watch it with a real boost gauge and a way of watching o2mv and knock retard ( scanmaster ) and make sure you have enough octane (alky inj -race gas or e85) for where the boost will go as well as enough fuel supply (pump -lines -injectors and engine management) for the increase in boost
..if you make a mistake (oops) and boost spikes without the above in place you may not get a second chance without doing some headgasket replacement or worse

Last edited:
Awesome. Thank you. I did the wastegate like you said, put the boost controller in line, adjusted to about 16 lbs and runs good. 16 is about what it runs from factory right?