Washed my motor

jason walker

So I have not washed my motor off in a year or so . Ever since I have I have had nothing but trouble first check engine light was on and idled rough now that has dried now when I get on it hard my volt light comes on , any ideas ?

You're not supposed to expose motors to water. They will short out.

Engines... Now that's another story.

Power wash or just hose? Just check all your wiring. Obviously something got wet and is causing your problems. Might have blown off a wire,vaccumn hose,spark plug wires wet?

Unplug and spray WD-40 in the crank sensor, cam sensor and coil pack plugs. It will drive out any water. Also check each end of all spark plug wires. Those are the major areas that come to mind. Hth

Unplug and spray WD-40 in the crank sensor, cam sensor and coil pack plugs. It will drive out any water. Also check each end of all spark plug wires. Those are the major areas that come to mind. Hth
+1
I used to pressure wash mine all the time and never had a problem. That being said however almost every time I did have a problem with the way the car was running I traced it to a bad connection.

I'd undo every connection under the hood, spray with Water Displacement #40, then contact cleaner and then make sure all the pins are making good physical contact. After 30 years they get loose and corrode.
Even corrosion you can't see will make a high resistance connection. I bend the pins slightly to get a good physical connection.

+1
I used to pressure wash mine all the time and never had a problem. That being said however almost every time I did have a problem with the way the car was running I traced it to a bad connection.

I'd undo every connection under the hood, spray with Water Displacement #40, then contact cleaner and then make sure all the pins are making good physical contact. After 30 years they get loose and corrode.
Even corrosion you can't see will make a high resistance connection. I bend the pins slightly to get a good physical connection.
Thanks
for advice !

I fried an alternator this way.

Started it up too soon apparently. :(

Maybe you had water on air filter....then got onto MAF?

Something i learned real quick about these cars. Back in 87 when i bought my new GN and would take it to the car wash,i would raise the hood and spray the engine off too. The engine would run ruff,spit and sputter, cut out. I didn't do that any more. I would wipe it off with a dampened sponge and use a dry cloth to keep it clean,but no more spraying water on it. lol

I'm pretty sure the volt light will come on when the volt booster kicks in. Someone else can verify.

I'm pretty sure the volt light will come on when the volt booster kicks in. Someone else can verify.

I use to run a volt booster a long time ago and don't remember the volt light ever coming on. I bought it from Modern Muscle Car when they were in business.

I don't recall the volt light coming on when the volt booster activates. I do know all the dash lights will glow brighter when it does.

If it is a Reds volt booster and it got wet, it will go to full voltage, 17v and is not good for the system.