Was told I need to rebuild engine - Chicago

Blocker

Took my 87 GN out for a Labor Day Weekend cruise. It has 42,000 miles on it and besides some minor, minor issues, it's been a great ride for me.

On Saturday, I got on it a little bit going down the highway and somewhere around 85 miles per hour, I heard a loud rattle come from the engine. Smoke started to come from the engine. I immediately got off the highway when I also saw smoke coming from the exhaust pipe everytime I hit the gas.

When I pulled over, and opened up the hood, I noticed that the oil cap was loose and there was oil on the engine.

I took the car into a mechanic in my neighborhood. He says the engine is shot. He did some checks on it and told me the left piston (of the three) is completely shot. He told me the whole engine probably has to come out.

My questions are:
Who is the best guy in Chicago I can bring that car too that will look at this to diagnose the problem?
And, if the car does need a rebuild, who is the best guy in Chicago to do it?
And how much money am I looking at to rebuild this engine?

Welcome to TB.com

More than likely you blew a head gasket. Does not require the motor to come out or be rebuilt but it a big job. You then need to find the reason why it blew. Over boosting? Under Octaned? Tired fuel pump? These are all questions that need to be answered to insure the new gaskets don't just blow again.

As far as a shop, are you north or south?

Thanks for the reply.
I live on the south side of Chicago off of 35th St. I would like to get the car into somewhere soon. But I want to be done with someone who has experience with these types of issues.

I second that diagnosis, most likely a head gasket, find a local shop who knows turbo buicks and stay clear of the idiot who told you you need a new motor. I'm sure people here can steer you to someone near you who knows these cars. If you have decent mechanical skills headgaskets aren't that bad to do.

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear that it may just be a blown gasket and not something a lot more serious.

I'm still looking for any suggestions on who I should bring this car to in Chicago or the surrounding suburbs. I don't have the mechinal know-how to do this type of repair.

Help!!

A blown gasket is kinda serious.

I would pull the motor, car sounds too nice to do a half ass job.

Hi,
Head gaskets are a pain in chassis,pull it and take a peek at things.By the way,it comes out easy. I didn't even pull the hood last time..

I don't understand the half assed part of replacing head gaskets with the engine in the car. Please fill us in. This guy has allready been told it needs a new engine when it sounds like only a head gasket. Why make him believe that anyone changing a head gasket without pulling the engine is somehow doing it the wrong way?

I don't understand the half assed part of replacing head gaskets with the engine in the car. Please fill us in.

Personally, I’ve never been comfortable with the torque readings doing it in the car and you end up with all that graphite gasket crap clogging up the pickup screen.

You end up with a better job doing it on a stand, with about the same amount of work. Who is saying that you can do a better job in the car??

In or out of the car, it's a lot of work with +/- to both ways. Check the oil, if there is water/coolant in there I would pull the motor and drop the pan for a good cleaning and inspection. Would at least do the bearings if they got a coolant bath.

x2

If the oil looks ok, then replacing the gaskets with the engine in the car is a good solution. Certainly pulling it and massaging it would make the engine happier, but not necessary in my mind. Pulling the oil pan would be a good thing to do also, and since your rear main seal is surely leaking (it is a Buick after all), something you will do eventually anyway.

If the oil has water/coolant in it, the bearings may be dead, especially if you drove it any after this happened.

TurboBuRick is certainly qualified in this field, I'm sure there are others in the Chi area as well.

Bob

(and after its all back together, determine the cause, wastegate, fuel supply, etc...)

x2

If the oil looks ok, then replacing the gaskets with the engine in the car is a good solution. Certainly pulling it and massaging it would make the engine happier, but not necessary in my mind. Pulling the oil pan would be a good thing to do also, and since your rear main seal is surely leaking (it is a Buick after all), something you will do eventually anyway.

If the oil has water/coolant in it, the bearings may be dead, especially if you drove it any after this happened.

TurboBuRick is certainly qualified in this field, I'm sure there are others in the Chi area as well.

Bob

(and after its all back together, determine the cause, wastegate, fuel supply, etc...)

I appreciate your advice and everyone else's in this matter.
I spoke with Turbo BuRick and he referred me to someone who has experience with this matter.
I am a little worried since I did drive the car home after this happened. I hope the bearings aren't dead.
We're going to take a look at the oil on Sunday. We'll let you know what we find out and I'll report back.
Keep the advice coming.

I could tell you when we get it checked out this weekend. I will post on Sunday night.

Just wanted to update on some advice that I was given to me.
I checked the oil and it looked like normal oil from checking the dipstick.
I was asked to look for milkshake/grey color coming from the dipstick and it looked like normal oil.
So, from first glance, it looks like the anti freeze stayed at bay.

Blown head gasket

IF MONEY IS NOT AN ISSUE I AGREE WITH TURBO ARCHIE I HAVE DONE IT BOTH WAYS PULLLING ENGINE IS THE WAY TO GO BLOCK PREP IS REAL IMPORTANT AND DONT USE 3M PADS ON DIE GRINDER SPRAYS METAL ALL OVER THE PLACE USE THE RUBBER PAD AND THREAD CHASE ALL BOLT HOLES USE ELECTRO-MOTVE CLEANER GREAT STUFF!!!! NEW HEAD BOLTS I PREFER STUDS AND COMETIC GASKETS AND YOU WILL BE GOOD TO GO!!! i ALSO LIKE THE HONDA OEM COOLANT GOOD STUFF JUST MY 2 CENTS:biggrin:

Just would like to know the going rate $$$ for a headgasket R&R??

I once paid $1000. That was $800 to pull/install the motor and rest was gasket parts and labor. Previous to that, the engine builder charged me $3500 to rebuild the motor, which seemed like a fair price. Blew the HG due to a bad fuel pump.

If you did not drive the car far the antifreeze may have not mixed with the oil to make it milky. Drain the oil. It is just a good practice. You will know right away. The water/antifreeze will come out first and then the oil.

Take Mike's advice on the grinding discs. Many of them have aluminum oxide. That stuff gets everywhere and will tear up what it touches when you run the car.

I always did them in the car. No big deal. Take your time. Get the head and the block clean.