was offered a trade for a turbo buick

Rustyrodder

needs a GN
So a couple weeks ago was the adirondak nationals here in NY(big car show and cruise- picture a small mountain town jampacked with everything from a restored T to a opal GT with a 540)

We met a couple of my dads friends up there- one of who is selling an 87 GN. we are in the process of getting our 66 chevelle(base) onto the market, and he mentioned a trade

I was just curious how many of you would take that trade- my dads kinda lukewarm on it. hes not a huge fan of the boxyness, and loves his 3rd pedal.

Chevelle:
DSC00527.jpg

DSC02047.jpg

Turbo buick:
DSC00571.jpg

DSC00623.jpg

DSC00626.jpg

comes with most of the basic bolt ons, plus fender flares

interesting comparison, Id miss the Hurst/big block combo though!

Tough call. Need more pics of the GN. But that is one sweet Chevelle. Much easier to work on.

That is one SWEET Chevelle. Very tough call to make. I still love my GN and would never get rid of it, but always wanted a 66. Big or small block. :frown:

Not an X - don't do it. Just my opinion. A big block 4 speed has a sound and feel of their own. He'd end up kicking himself over and over and over etc.

Not an X - don't do it. Just my opinion. A big block 4 speed has a sound and feel of their own. He'd end up kicking himself over and over and over etc.

agreed...not an X, pay close attention to the window sticker, no mention of the X package. Keep the 8, unless you're bored and need some different excitement. Looks like the V8 is worth way more than the TB6

ours isnt numbers matching- wasnt an original SS car. i know thats not a real X, first thing i looked for was the dash plate ;). he also hasnt gotten the SW gauges for it.

selling to get something a little more 'driver friendly'. dads getting older, and wants a car he can really get in and drive. his plan is to sell, pay off my mustang(hooray!), and buy something more restored(68+ A body, 70-73 F. Id love a 455/4spd GS). But ive always liked those turbo buicks... friend just sold his 11.0 car last month.

still, these Buicks are finiky little bitches. Go for an old Vette or something he wont have to chase gremlins on 24/7

Don't do it. You'll live to regret it. There will NEVER,EVER be another Chevelle made like that. They are so darn classic, great looking, fast, totally outstanding, and easy to work on. Like the other guy said, these GNs are finicky, cranky and sometimes troublesome. With the Chevelle, all mechanical problems are such an easy solve problem. That Chevelle you have there is like the Hope Diamond....looks one of a kind. Made my heart quicken to see it, especiallly in red. A real standout! The GN is very stealthy, at about two car lengths it looks like a regular car going down the road, especially in traffic.

The Chevelle, on the other hand, stands out like a sore thumb. Don't get rid of it.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I'm surprised so many TR guys are saying "Don't do it...", that's not what I expected to hear in this thread! Usually everyone's a lot more encouraging about luring someone to "the Dark Side." Just think...you're Vader, and the OP is Luke...

Hey, its easy to say to keep the Chevelle and screw these finicky PITA TR's when you have one sitting in the garage! I love Chevelles (and the like) as much as it sounds like the rest of you do, and his looks like a gem...but this guy has probably lived with it for a long time and is looking for a new set of thrills, and challenges. TR's aren't like anything else out there, that's their appeal and probably why most of us got one (I'm assuming.)

But hey, this is coming from a new guy...I just got my GN, haven't even had time to have problems with it, and I'm still deep in the infatuation phase! You were there too...remember how fascinated you were by the GNs/TRs when you discovered them? :biggrin:

I do give credit to the OP for coming to the forum to research the car beforehand and seek advice, that's a wise move. This forum has the best information you could ever ask for about these cars IMO.

Post more details about the GN if you can. Mods especially if you can, that'll get us all excited...:cool:

Man thats tough thats a nice chevelle...They are two totally different animals id keep both if possible you get the gn and get rid of your v6 stang!!! then you and pops can switch up..The chevelle has the big block roar, the old school 60s appeal,the ooga booga me tarzan you jane fourspeed, gobs of right now torque,and is like a giant holding a big american flag and demands recpect wherever it goes!!! The gn on the other hand has the undeniable turbo whistle ,gets good gas mileage with air while crusing,gobs of torque with smooth linear power,demands respect from those that know and suprises those that dont know!!! Having a turbo6 is like having this here six shoother!!! YouTube - Joker shoots down the Batwing, 1989! :biggrin: Thats the exact reason i got my gn and im putting together a v8 regal too!!!!

I do give credit to the OP for coming to the forum to research the car beforehand and seek advice, that's a wise move. This forum has the best information you could ever ask for about these cars IMO.

Post more details about the GN if you can. Mods especially if you can, that'll get us all excited...:cool:

Ive learned a bit about these through the years, but been out of the game sicne i went to college.

GN got a recent paintjob(hence the missing badges). paint is good- no orange peel or runs. but i did find a couple small door dings(gotta love black). interior just replaced. I cant remember all the mods it comes with(got distracted by a 63 nova straightaxle), but he mentioned it would run mid=11's with them(i do remember he didnt have a scanmaster). the only ones i remember for sure were exhaust, cai, wastegate, radials, and hotwire kit.

Test drive the GN and you'll never look back!! :cool: Seriously- do what your heart tells you to do after some careful thought and soul searching. I just scaled back last year and sold my 70 GS455 I owned for 12 years and I have NO seller's remorse whatsoever. The Turbo Buick makes alot of sense in SO many areas!

I say do it. I traded my 406 powered chevy II for a gn last month and it was a great idea.
A/C, fast and decent mpg's. Also get's alot of looks at the shows.
Here is the car I traded.
100_1051.jpg

100_1053.jpg

No brainer imo. With simple bolt-ons ur going easy 10's and still getten 20 mpg when ur not steppen into it. Two TOTALLY different cars for sure so it's hard to say what YOU should do.

The Chevelle is sweet, no doubt. But runnen 10's on pump gas, alky and a few bolt-ons with A/C, heat and a pretty quiet and comfortable ride with power windows and seats makes it a no brainer imo. Of course im partial but when you break it down it's just better move imo.

What wheels are on the Nova? You have a better pic of the side? They look perfect on that car!

I wouldnt think it would even be something to question yourself about. 66 Base Chevelles arent that hard to get and it's very easy to get a big block for $500 and put it in. As long as it's not a numbers matching car, you can easily build another one, not much to them. Take the GN and run!

I have a feeling you are leaning towards the GN, especially since you are polling everyone on TB.com and not the Chevelle forum.

Me personally...I think there is nothing cooler than a big block 60's car!

No brainer imo. With simple bolt-ons ur going easy 10's and still getten 20 mpg when ur not steppen into it. Two TOTALLY different cars for sure so it's hard to say what YOU should do.

The Chevelle is sweet, no doubt. But runnen 10's on pump gas, alky and a few bolt-ons with A/C, heat and a pretty quiet and comfortable ride with power windows and seats makes it a no brainer imo. Of course im partial but when you break it down it's just better move imo.

Easy yes - often, without heartache - no (you might even vomit a little)

Easy yes - often, without heartache - no (you might even vomit a little)
True. But low 11's can be done all day long with a stock longblock with bolt-ons for years to come. And that's NEW Z06 fast. That's what thay pull in the 1/4. Low elevens. I'm sure you know better then me if u own a Vette already.