Warmed engine issues

Leatherface511

Proud new owner of my first 87 Intercooled GN. Picked the car up a month ago and, it was in great shape for being mostly original with 86,000 miles on it. The car starts, Runs and drives well but after about 30 minutes of driving it stalls hard on braking and turning and wants to die or over accelerate after letting off. Have searched for vacuum leaks multiple times and found everything to be in good shape. Wanted to clean it up a bit for summer, just installed new air filter, valve breather, EGR, IAC, PCV, and belt. Cleaned MAF per recommended instructions, fresh oil and filter change. It definitely sounds more mellow now on Start ups and idles lower when sitting, power picks up no problem if I get on it but the issue is persistent... driving me nuts. Any advice on what to look for next would be much appreciated!

626gn

Your TCC solenoid may be bad. Common for a bad solenoid to start acting up after you've been driving a while but be perfectly fine when cold. There is a 4 pin (I think) plug on the drivers side of the transmission. Try unplugging it and go for a long ride and see if the problem returns. You won't hurt anything driving normally with it unplugged but it's not a permanent solution. If that is your problem you'll have to drop the trans pan and replace the solenoid. Not hard to do, just messy.

Pronto

You can't knock them up with spit.
Ya, it does sound pretty much like the lock up solenoid. Unplug it and drive around see what happens.

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
This may sound crazy but it is a possible loose harmonic balancer causing the crank sensor to not work properly. Happened to me, car would be driving along and randomly stall. Crank right back up and be fine. The crank bolt is high torque, 220 lb ft, got to remove the IC fan and loosen the serpentine belt. Also have to put some vice grips on the flex plate in the trans to hold the crank from turning. It is a DIY job but several steps.

turbo nasty

Turbo Dojo / MNTR
TCC solenoid doesnt work in first gear. Get a scantool and my advice is to put a fresh new fuel pump in the tank with a hotwire so you know its fresh.

Pronto

True but if the solenoid is sticking you can roll to a stop in 1st gear getting off the highway and have stuttering and stall. Ask me how I know.

turbo nasty

Turbo Dojo / MNTR
True but if the solenoid is sticking you can roll to a stop in 1st gear getting off the highway and have stuttering and stall. Ask me how I know.
Incorrect, hydraulically its not possible in a 2004r ,The 2nd gear signal oil is the supply for the TCC so down shifting to 1st will cancel the circuit despite the solenoid being closed.

Pronto

Explain how I came to a stop and had the engine chugging and stall after driving on the highway. Replaced the solenoind and the trans was back to normal.

turbo nasty

Turbo Dojo / MNTR
Explain how I came to a stop and had the engine chugging and stall after driving on the highway. Replaced the solenoind and the trans was back to normal.
I explained it....only way unless it didnt downshift out of second gear and the TCC was stuck

Leatherface511

Your TCC solenoid may be bad. Common for a bad solenoid to start acting up after you've been driving a while but be perfectly fine when cold. There is a 4 pin (I think) plug on the drivers side of the transmission. Try unplugging it and go for a long ride and see if the problem returns. You won't hurt anything driving normally with it unplugged but it's not a permanent solution. If that is your problem you'll have to drop the trans pan and replace the solenoid. Not hard to do, just messy.
Finally got around to taking her out again. Unplugged the TCC and drove around for a while while had zero issues! I have a new one on order, for the time being is it safe to drive anywhere with it unplugged? Thanks again for everyone in here's help. Also I currently do not own a scanner, any recommendations for purchasing one???

626gn

Finally got around to taking her out again. Unplugged the TCC and drove around for a while while had zero issues! I have a new one on order, for the time being is it safe to drive anywhere with it unplugged? Thanks again for everyone in here's help. Also I currently do not own a scanner, any recommendations for purchasing one???

Glad you found your issue. Always a good day when your problems are simple ones to fix. No harm in driving it around town like that for a little while but I’d refrain from extended driving on the freeway. Trans will run hotter and and gas mileage will suffer.