Warbling sound

danostuff67

Is it normal to have a warbling sound in the rear end area. Car has always done it, just wondering if it’s normal or if it sounds like a bearing or rear end issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Noise is not normal.

Fluid change with friction additive may be needed. It won't hurt anyways.

Noise can be coming from something else. Tires? Bearing? Drive shaft? Get a friend to help. Look it over real good for anything unusual. Tire ruptured? Out of balance? Jack it up. Support it super good. Put it in neutral and spin it by hand. Put it in gear, let it run up off the ground.

If it's the rear, it may be too late. A new posi may be in your future.

I would bet on bad carrier bearings. Pinion bearings whine at driveshaft speed. Carrier bearings can make the warbling noise at axle speed. Listen with a stethoscope when you run it on stands.

Take it to a driveline shop, a driveshaft shop. They can diagnose quickly and you'll be money ahead vs. guessing. Carrier bearings make sense, Jeep Grand Cherokees had that factory defect 20 years ago and it was really noisy. It could easily be tire noise as well. Don't waste time with a fluid change, besides it stinks so bad.

Just had new tires installed, sound is the same. Attached a picture of the rear end. I am assuming it is a stock rear end? Car was raced in prior life.

Attachments

• IMG_7078.JPG
    IMG_7078.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 47
Doesn’t look like that cover has been removed in a LONG time. Do the fluid change and see what the gears look like...