Want to raise car

I was under the impression the 86's sat lower than the 87's to begin with.
Same spring part numbers on RockAuto.

Do I need to replace anything else when doing the front and rear springs. I have not looked under the car yet to check on insulators and such.

Last edited:
I thought I saw a set of springs (4) listed as HD stock replacement on Kirban's website, but I can't find it now, just front and rear pairs.
Maybe you have already checked these out.
Did not see a set of 4 but they do set regular springs for the front and variable for the rear with limited specs.

How are the body mounts? They might need replacing as well.

Is there a benefit for the rear for standard vs. varialble load?
I'll chime in on this because I put variable-rate coils on the rear of my car years ago. The reason I added them is I was getting some fender rubbing with the 8.5" Centerlines and 235-60-15 tires, especially if I had passengers in the back seat. The way variable-rate springs work is, they're soft with minor spring compression, but get stiffer the more the spring compresses. The more you press them in, the harder they get to compress. The result of that was to almost eliminate fender rubbing...the only time it rubs a bit now is if I have 2 passengers in the back and hit a big bump. It was a big improvement. Never noticed any launch problems, but my car isn't a 10-second racer, either.

Good info thanks!

I was just looking at the Moog springs on my buddies GN that were replaced about two years ago. They appear to be vinyl coated and that coating is now coming off leaving a flaking rusty look. I see that AC Delco springs are powder coated. Is there a benefit of one lasting longer finish wise than the other. They both seem to be close in price.

Last edited:
Thought I would post some spring part numbers I got directly from Moog and AC Delco for a stock lift

Moog Front #5606
Moog Rear #5379 regular and CC627 cargo

AC Delco Front #45H0111
AC Delco Rear #45H2015 regular and 45H3013 cargo

Could someone tell me if there are insulators at the top and bottom of the front and rear springs. I would like to have those replaced while doing the springs.

Could someone tell me if there are insulators at the top and bottom of the front and rear springs. I would like to have those replaced while doing the springs.

Yes, yes there are isolators for the front and rear springs.
I ordered some through Advance Autoparts.
Upper isolators only, both front and rear. These are poly's and are thinner than stock, but don't squish of course.

MOOG brand.

Front - K160044 $11.50 (1 per box, order (2) for both fronts)

Rear - K6203-2 $7.99 (2 per box, enough for both rears)

Yes, yes there are isolators for the front and rear springs.
I ordered some through Advance Autoparts.
Upper isolators only, both front and rear. These are poly's and are thinner than stock, but don't squish of course.

MOOG brand.

Front - K160044 $11.50 (1 per box, order (2) for both fronts)

Rear - K6203-2 $7.99 (2 per box, enough for both rears)
Thanks!

These are poly's and are thinner than stock, but don't squish of course.

Everything I see says they're rubber. MOOG just claims it's better rubber than the originals.

Energy Suspension has poly but only rears. For some odd reason they don't have fronts.

They feel the same as some Energy Suspension isolators I have used in the past.

You are right, I should have said they feel like poly as they are very solid.

As an example, my car is at 11 and 7/8ths using Charlie's reference point, however, I'm running 295/55/15's out back.

I also have black wheel well trim that adds to the ride height deception.

I'm not real happy with ride height, I think it's way to high and I am working on it....... but she will hook in a car wash if I don't get to crazy on the accelerator........ Something to be considered when that knot headed Corvette owner gives you the stink eye at an intersection.........:D

TurboTGuy your car is as fine as frog hair!! Hard to imagine it looking any better, however, I know where you are coming from! The car is beautiful though no matter what!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurboTGuy your car is as fine as frog hair!! Hard to imagine it looking any better, however, I know where you are coming from! The car is beautiful though no matter what!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the compliment.

I ordered Moog front, rear variable springs and insulators from Rock Auto after Moog stated they now powder coat their springs. I will update the thread once they are installed.

Eagleguy - Forgot to post these up. Maybe it'll help.

I was running all stock suspension, wheels, and tires.

I just had Kirban rear progressive springs installed (which I thought I saw somewhere they are Moogs?). I left the fronts stock. I also installed Bilsteins on all 4 corners. The rear of the car came WAY up. It previously was "sagging" in the back, and I'd say it now sits about 2 1/2 inches above the rear tire. The front is about 1" above. (Pictures aren't the best and a little deceiving on the height as the car is parked on a slight angle).

I didn't change the insulators.

I expect the rear will settle down after about 500 miles or some serious launches. It should come down 1/2 to 1", which I'd prefer. It sits a little too high for me.

Buick Wheels 3.jpg Buick Wheels 4.jpg Buick Wheels 5.jpg Buick Wheels 2.jpg

Eagleguy - Forgot to post these up. Maybe it'll help.

I was running all stock suspension, wheels, and tires.

I just had Kirban rear progressive springs installed (which I thought I saw somewhere they are Moogs?). I left the fronts stock. I also installed Bilsteins on all 4 corners. The rear of the car came WAY up. It previously was "sagging" in the back, and I'd say it now sits about 2 1/2 inches above the rear tire. The front is about 1" above. (Pictures aren't the best and a little deceiving on the height as the car is parked on a slight angle).

I didn't change the insulators.

I expect the rear will settle down after about 500 miles or some serious launches. It should come down 1/2 to 1", which I'd prefer. It sits a little too high for me.

View attachment 287843 View attachment 287844 View attachment 287845 View attachment 287847

Looks good to me and I would hope the back would settle as well. How does the car ride as I will have the same set up with Bilsteins.

Looks good to me and I would hope the back would settle as well. How does the car ride as I will have the same set up with Bilsteins.
The ride in the car is night and day. I'm the 2nd owner on the car (52k original miles), and while I have some history on it, not everything. So don't know what was done.
It doesn't have the same floating ride going down the road now, and obviously traction is way better as well. Surprisingly, the ball joints were in decent shape. The alignment did require some shimming though.
Overall I'm happy with it. Just wish it was an inch lower. The good news is I could fit a 60 series Tire with no problem! Lol

The ride in the car is night and day. I'm the 2nd owner on the car (52k original miles), and while I have some history on it, not everything. So don't know what was done.
It doesn't have the same floating ride going down the road now, and obviously traction is way better as well. Surprisingly, the ball joints were in decent shape. The alignment did require some shimming though.
Overall I'm happy with it. Just wish it was an inch lower. The good news is I could fit a 60 series Tire with no problem! Lol
I bought Moog 5606 for the front and Moog CC627 for the rears. Is that what you have?