want to change to distributor

WINDMILL

ok guys what are all the parts i need to put a distributor in my gn with the v-6.. prob going to use a fast xfi ? give me a list of all the parts i need...

ok guys what are all the parts i need to put a distributor in my gn with the v-6.. prob going to use a fast xfi ? give me a list of all the parts i need...

I have a MSD 7al2 in the parts for sale as well as a pro power coil.

You will need a MSD distributor and a distributor adaptor you can get from Cal. I think that's about it.

what do you use for a cam sensor once you swap in a distributor?

and what are the benefits of doing this? i can't think of a single new vehicle that has a distributor any more, and the 84 TR was one of the first to go distributorless..

I believe the distributor is technically the cam sensor isn't it? The cam sensor sends a signal to the computer so it knows when to fire. Same thing with a distributor, except it doesn't send a signal to a computer but does it according to timing? Right?

Yes the new distributor becomes the cam sensor also. It works very well. There are several ways to complete this swap but an aftermarket ECM is needed at this time. Like Ted said Cal has an adapter which allows a stock harness to be converted for this. The FAST aftermarket harness allows for this swap too.

Currently only MSD offers a dizzy for the Buick V6. Any ignition box will work with this , but I suggest that anyone doing this swap stick to the proven combos, either a Crane Hi6 box digital ignition and coil or the MSD analog stuff.

Yes the new distributor becomes the cam sensor also. It works very well. There are several ways to complete this swap but an aftermarket ECM is needed at this time. Like Ted said Cal has an adapter which allows a stock harness to be converted for this. The FAST aftermarket harness allows for this swap too.

If you have a FAST aftermarket harness, you will still need a harness I have made (it's diferent from the adaptor setup). With all the Coil on Plug setups I have sold lately, I think you will see a lot more dizzy stuff for sale along with stock stuff. The distributors allow you to run the internal 2-steps and rev limiters of the aftermarket engine managements.

The 8551 Distributors are not made anymore, so you will have to find a used one or alternative measures. I ended up using a 8552 Buick 455 one, removed the electronic guts, and put a stock cam sensor gear on it. Not plug and play....but on the upside it is physically taller and didn't interfere with my cold air pipe etc....and yes Cal is the man to talk to.

Currently only MSD offers a dizzy for the Buick V6. Any ignition box will work with this , but I suggest that anyone doing this swap stick to the proven combos, either a Crane Hi6 box digital ignition and coil or the MSD analog stuff.

If you have a FAST aftermarket harness, you will still need a harness I have made (it's diferent from the adaptor setup). With all the Coil on Plug setups I have sold lately, I think you will see a lot more dizzy stuff for sale along with stock stuff. The distributors allow you to run the internal 2-steps and rev limiters of the aftermarket engine managements.

The 8551 Distributors are not made anymore, so you will have to find a used one or alternative measures. I ended up using a 8552 Buick 455 one, removed the electronic guts, and put a stock cam sensor gear on it. Not plug and play....but on the upside it is physically taller and didn't interfere with my cold air pipe etc....and yes Cal is the man to talk to.

GREAT info guys! Much appreciated when you all share the info like this! Definitely taking notes here!

They may be slowly going away, but I did find them "available" on the MSD site.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'd like to use a distributor on my 4.1 and am not sure which intake to use. Are there any Clarence problems with using a gn Intake and a distributor? Im going to use megasquirt so controlling it is not a problem.

If we are talking about an 86-87 setup, you can't use the factory belt tensioner, which usually means no AC. You will also have to move the CTS to another location.

Ok that's good. Don't plan on running ac, and moving the cts is no problem. Thanks!