"Wanna race?"

87we4turbo

Decided to enjoy the last little bit of weather we have left near Chicago, and took the buick out. Mainly to fill it all the way up before I retire her for the winter. I get to the gas station and pull up a pump away from this really clean Ford Lightning. I get out and proceed to start pumping, and I look around my back and catch eyes with the Ford owner. It's a 70+ year old guy.. and I nod my head and tell him he has a nice truck, and he just nods back. I return my attention to pumping, and some other guy comes up with a grin on his face and says "You can tell it's not stock with that exhaust dump sticking out the side, what have you done to it?" So we start talking, and I pop the hood. Seemed like a pretty nice guy. Then, the older guy in the Ford starts leaving, but decides to pull right in front of my car where we were standing. To my surprise the first thing he says is "Wanna race?".. and I said "Now?" and he replies "Yeah, title for title." Haha I couldn't believe how serious he seemed. The guy I was talking to, asked the older man if his truck was stock, and he says "Yeah, but it has a supercharger on it... whats in your car?".... "Turbo V6" I say. "My truck is pretty fast, so what do you say?" he asks. I mean, I've got faith in the good ole' Buick to take on a Lightning. But, put my car on the line? I couldn't do it.

Was he just a ballsy enough guy looking to race his truck that has a supercharger on it, thinking he can take my Buick's title by the looks of my car?

Or was playing with me and luring me in, with his "stock" appearing Lighting. Ready to add my Buick to his collection?

I will never know.

That guy does some serious fishing...

Here is a very detailed picture of how it went. haha
lightning.jpg

That is an awesome feeling when you get a guy ballsy enough to ask if you wanna race for slips out of the blue like that, its almost like a high because you immediately feel the rush of the unknown. If that ever happens again just do what I did, tell them it isn't your car to put on the line like that, but you'll race him for a couple of hundred bucks though if he wants. I would just step up to a bigger turbo though if I was you, just in case... :)

By the way, that pic is hilarious, it looks like you were gonna race the ghost of Lloyd Bridges lmao...

pizapcom13530938074041.jpg

It happened in the NW suburbs, not in the city. I was right on the line of cook and lake county.

Definatley felt a rush come over me when he asked. It took me so off gaurd that I started fumbling my words hah.
I hope I'm badass as that guy was at that age. I guess I could have asked to run for money, but it never got that far. And yes I would feel much better about it with a bigger turbo ;)

That’s better than having a guy at the pumps a crossed from you carry on about how great your car is and how he and his brothers mother cousin had three just like it. And then after 7 minutes of this b.s. you start to leave and he says “ Always loved those 80s Oldsmobile’s”..... that is what I got today…..wtf?

And then after 7 minutes of this b.s. you start to leave and he says “ Always loved those 80s Oldsmobile’s”..... that is what I got today…..wtf?

At least it was BOP. Could of been worse, could have said 80's Monte Carlo Super Sport's lol... ;)

thats what i get all the time! nice Monte Carlo! i think i need to get a window stick that says the heart beat stops here!!!:)

Next time look at his back tires....
If he's running around on street radials or you don't see some fatties and wheel studs....set it up to be an 1/8 mile run or a 5 lamp race, and take his truck away from him.
Even if he has the power he'd need to beat a high 11 second Buick....he won't be able to launch hard enough to do it.

Of course....there is always the risk that he's one of these guys who can get a 69 ZL-1 Camaro to go 11's on 70 series Polyglass tires....but those kind of drivers are few and far between....

The sticker for the back window won't help. Trust me! I have a graphic that reads "Not your grandpa's Buick" and Buick is actually in Buick font. Now with that said I had a lady at the gas station down the street say "Nice Monte Carlo! What year is it?" I replied it is a Buick and it is an 87. She then said "I didn't know Buick made Monte Carlo's.". I gave up and just told her thank you.

Same gas station a kid tries talking smack that he had a twin turbo 2 liter Audi that would smoke my car! I said that's wierd why are you riding bitch in a rotted out 80's S-10? He also said that Audi had 550 hp at the wheels.

I think if you were on a DR I would have taken that race. You would be able to hear a fast lightning... plus, it's only a 2 valve 5.4... unless it is turbo, it is probably a turd. Trucks never hook very well anyway.

great story though :) I'll have to watch for this blue lightning with my car if you are in the NW suburbs of chicago... that's where I live too.

Thanks. Yeah, probably won't be seeing much of anything anymore with the weather. The Buick is hibernating, but I have some plans for her this winter!

sounds good dude! lets go wreck some RSDs next summer. get a crew of turbo buicks out there and take some money.

You can count me in. Keep in touch. I have quite a list going for her hopefully I can manage it over the winter. If I could only cut this nasty eating habit I got... I mean I eat 3 meals a day.. If I could just break that habit I'd have more money for the Buick. ;)

You can count me in. Keep in touch. I have quite a list going for her hopefully I can manage it over the winter. If I could only cut this nasty eating habit I got... I mean I eat 3 meals a day.. If I could just break that habit I'd have more money for the Buick. ;)

Next time just look at the rear tires of his truck. If hes on regular radials then go for it!! LOL

lol you should have told him its not a fair deal, your car is worth a lot more than a trash ford truck ! :)

It might be better to not take this for granted. We've got a Lightning in our garage right now that put 831hp to the rear wheels on a modest tune. It wont hook but he can catch most anything in a short period of time.

DoubleD said:
still supercharged? what does something like that run at the track?

No. It's actually turbocharged. PT76. Used the original supercharger body for the plenum. No track time yet.