Vss question

dsapper

I'm not getting a vss signal to the ECM and it throws a code but with the tci trans and controller I'm told I'd need a converter from tci to output the correct signal.

I'm getting conflicting answers on how important the vss signal is. Anyone have any better info, I can get it working but it's just extra money and I'm not sure it's worth it

It controls TC lockup and the same signal is fed to the cruise control. Probably not major issues in your case. There are some housekeeping things that the ecm does too based upon the vss signal, but I think many run without one. You do need a converter to change whatever speed signal you have now to a 2 pulse per revolution signal and I think the standard is 16,000 revolutions per mile? Someone else please chime in.

Well the TC is controlled by the aftermarket tcu but that explains why my cruise isn't working.

Anyone know of a converter to change an electronic 16ppm to 2ppm?! The caspers unit is for a mechanical speedo I'm electric because of my tci trans. Also anyone know what kind of wave it is, square etc

Caspers has one that works with either an electric or mechanical speedo. It's what I used when I put in my GNX cluster with VDO guages. there's a brass plug that goes in the port for the mechanical speedo when using an electric one and wires to hook up to the electric speedo.

Everything works on mine, cruise, lockup etc.

Good luck wih the TCI tranny. Mine lasted 13 months and 1500 miles and cost more than the EA stage 2 I ave now. maybe yours is different but my TCI had a bogus Vacuum switch to control lockup and not the ECM. I just put switch in the dashboard and controlled it myself.

Anyone know of a converter to change an electronic 16ppm to 2ppm?! The caspers unit is for a mechanical speedo I'm electric because of my tci trans. Also anyone know what kind of wave it is, square etc

The caspers adapter converts electronic 16 pulse to 2 pulse. You'll need the tach signal amplifier to enhance the signal going to your cruise module. Call John Spina at Caspers and he can hook you up. He has instructions too. Basically the converter makes it 2 pulse for the ecm and the signal amplifier just enhances the signal so the cruise module can see it accurately. If you have a 16 pulse signal now, it won't be bad to convert. Many have done it with the proliferation of electronic speedos.

Dsapper,
Your TCI TCU has the ability to change the vss output to the correct 2000 ppm, go into the advanced settings and I believe it's on the first page of options to adjust. It's actually kinda important to have the correct VSS signal running to your ecu because the TT chips use that to adjust the timing and fuel for 3rd and 4th gear(not sure how that works with your 6x). I believe you and I discussed this a while back in my 4l80e conversion thread. I have a factory digital dash so I simply tapped in to the signal wire behind the dash, I would assume you could do something similar with the regular dashes. If I remember correctly, you had aftermarket gauges and an electronic speedo right? If so does the speedo have an adjustable input setting? your gonna need it to be able to accept the 2000 ppm input otherwise youll need a converter of some type to allow the speedo and ecu to work off the 1 tcu signal. I hope this helps but if you have anymore questions just let me know.

Paul