Vss and dakota digital dash

lost2a6

I'm installing a Dakota digital dash in a Turbo Buick and I need to know which wire that I need to connect to the DD box VSS output. I'm thinking the green wire on the sensor however I'm not sure. I need for the ECM to see MPH and the cruise to work. Thanks!;)

Is the speed sensor that DD supplied with the dash a 2000ppm or a 4000ppm? You can't use a 4000ppm on the Turbo Regals ECM or cruise.

I didn't use the sensor that DD supplied with the dash. I just installed an old speedometer head under the dash and left it connected to the original speedometer cable. I then run a wire from the VSS sensor buffer to the DD box.

Here's the speedo head after removing all the stuff attached.
DSCF2497.JPG

Run a wire from the BROWN terminal to your DD box to get your 2000ppm signal.

DSCF2492.JPG

It's switchable between a 2000 ppm or 4000 ppm. If I tie into the brown wire, will the cruise still work? Another words, is the cruise getting its signal from the ECM or is there another wire coming out of the little green buffer box going the the cruise control head unit? Thanks!

EDIT: If you are using the DD speed sensor, you will need to hook that up to the ECM and the cruise. Both of those wires are on the factory speed sensor buffer behind the radio. See attached wiring diagram.

41905978[1].jpg

Ok, I got it working!:biggrin: I tried tying into the green wire coming from the photo cell to the buffer and that didn't work. Next I tied into the brown wire going to the ECM and the red wire going to the cruise and left those harnesses plugged into the buffer, it still didn't work.:mad: After this, I unplugged the harnesses from the buffer and it worked, the ECM is now reading a speed signal.

you should take pics and do a write up or give the step by step I have to do this next. Does your cruise control work?

Ok, I got it working!:biggrin: I tried tying into the green wire coming from the photo cell to the buffer and that didn't work. Next I tied into the brown wire going to the ECM and the red wire going to the cruise and left those harnesses plugged into the buffer, it still didn't work.:mad: After this, I unplugged the harnesses from the buffer and it worked, the ECM is now reading a speed signal.

I have the same issue! So in other words you used the speedo sensor from dakota at 2000ppm connected the brown and red wire to Speed out terminal on the Dakota brain and unplugged the harness from the buffer..In other words the buffer and wires with the sensor on the end can be scraped?

I have the same issue! So in other words you used the speedo sensor from dakota at 2000ppm connected the brown and red wire to Speed out terminal on the Dakota brain and unplugged the harness from the buffer..In other words the buffer and wires with the sensor on the end can be scraped?

I'm doing this now. You happen to remember what the final verdict on this procedure is? My car is disassembled right now and I'm hoping to install everything with as few issues as possible once its back drivable again

I'm runing this speedometers calibrator that can take any type of signal and change it to what u need . I am runing a th400 that has a electric pickup on it so I got rid of all my mechanical stuff and run wires meow.

Attachments

• IMG_8073.JPG
    IMG_8073.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 137
I'm doing this now. You happen to remember what the final verdict on this procedure is? My car is disassembled right now and I'm hoping to install everything with as few issues as possible once its back drivable again

Do what billygeg explained in his post.
Unhook the buffer and connect to the brown and red wires in the harness.
Any questions PM me and I will shoot you my number.

Please allow the details, I just had my DD dash installed, I lost the Cruise Control and I think the lockup converter is not working.

I just took a spare speedo head as pictured in the beginning of this thread. Seal it up so light doesn’t get into it. Stuffed it in the back of the dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk