Virgin Stage 2 Off Center 3.8 25500012 Block Prep Guide

jmendlik

Anyone have a guide to suggested block prep for a Virgin Stage2 3.8 Block with Billet Caps ( all 4) which means BBC rear seal.

This is a virgin block in cosmoline that will need full prep and just want to provdie accurate prep info for the machine shop if this proiject moves forward.

Any info specific to Stage 2 Off Center blocks would be apprecaited.

JM

Just to be clear for all....This info is more for my knowledge than my shop as they have done several TA and Stage blocks for others in my area.

I did a search on here and there seems to be a few books published but I'm not able to locate them -so I thought I would reach out on this board which has always been helpful..

I would take it to the engine builder and let him explain and tell you tell you what he plans to do for you......and why.

Or in my case......Just be dumb and happy and wonder how 12 years of street and track use has gone by without ever having any engine trouble of any kind.

Make sure that they know it is an off center block. I had an engine shop that built a ton of BUick V6 race motors for NASCAR back in the day and had never heard of an off center block. The guy that assembled the motor didnt notice the rods and their orientation on the crank journal.

Make sure that they know it is an off center block. I had an engine shop that built a ton of BUick V6 race motors for NASCAR back in the day and had never heard of an off center block. The guy that assembled the motor didnt notice the rods and their orientation on the crank journal.
OMG!:eek:

I guess it happens.

For starters...
Get all bores sonic checked for wall thickness and in multiple place in each bore, if you dont have the original paperwork that came with it as they all had a sheet when new.
Front cam bearing journal needs to be drilled through to the driver side galley to get oil to that galley for starters if your lifters and top end will need lube in that manner.
May need to increase or decrease the lifter oil feed holes.
Front galley plugs modded to not go in too deep or protrude too far
All bolt holes chased.
DeBurr all sharp edges
OIl drain backs on deck tweaked for better drain back
Water drains on sides of block drilled and tapped

Anyone in the Chicago-land Area have one I could photo copy the info ?? I will pay for the book rental and guarantee it will not be damaged...

I've seen some posts about this being available via PDF download. Does any one have a copy they could email me?

PM me and Ill send email

Thanks

JM

Here you go bud all the info you can ask for regarding stage motors

Attachments

• How To Hotrod Your Buick V6.pdf
    17.2 MB · Views: 1,356
This is a virgin block in cosmoline that will need full prep and just want to provdie accurate prep info for the machine shop if this proiject moves forward.
i would highly recommend if you have a virgin peice like this you go with a builder that has alot of stage 2 engines behind them.